Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Help filling potable water tank on Crusader

New trailer and I open the cap to the potable water tank and the water just gushes back out. The tank is empty for sure. I don't see any valve to open. I got behind the panel and the hose appears to be fine heading towards the tank. Any help is appreciated.
Prime Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Had this problem. Comes from over filling the tank. Water gets in the vent line. Above the fill connection is a screen, I blew mine out with low pressure compressed air and it worked like a champ. If you don't have compressor you may have to get creative.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #3

You know I thought of that, and will try that next time. However I did open the low point drain, and tried to fill. You think that would have let the air out. What did you use to get a good fitting on that air vent. I have the needle hose for an air compressor.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

Those only drain the piping not the tank. Even if. I used my fingers to seal the blow gun to the vent. Only need enough air to clear the water from the vent line. Could suck it out with a wet vac too I imagine
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

Thanks, will try when I head out again. It's in storage. Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

I have the same problem on my 270ret Crusader. The dealer said they shortened the fill tube hose. It still throws it back out at you ?? I think that its a fill vent fault. I have had several trailers and have never had this happen ......In the spring, I'm going to look at the vent tube. May be under sized vent tube??
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Commercial Member

I've been asked to comment on this thread, so here goes

Two of our Customer Service people and our Manufacturing Manager just read thru all of these posts together. It seems like there are several different issues being discussed that are actually not necesarily related. Here's sort of a recap:

Post 1 - Water "gushes out" when you open the cap and the tank is empty. Do you mean when you're trying to fill it gushes out? Water gushing out from an empty tank doesn't make sense other than maybe a cup or so that might be caught up in a low point in your fill hose. That doesn't seem likely since it would not be under pressure. However, water gushing out definitely can happen when you are trying to fill.

Post 2 - Confirms water gushes out when overfilling - agreed. Implies that a low point in the vent line is filled with water making it more difficult to fill the tank and more likely that water comes back out thru fill - agreed. However, does not answer question why water "gushes out" from an EMPTY tank when taking cap off.

Post 3 - Did you open the low point drain for the tank or the water lines? Opening the water line low point drain would have no effect. Water tank low point drain would solve pressure situation but water would start coming out the low point drain very quickly. If water isn't coming out quickly either you're opening the wrong drain or there might be a stoppage on the tank low point.

Post 4 - There are 3 low points. 2 for the water lines and 1 for the tank.

Post 5 - Prime Power is a nice guy saying "thanks" twice

Post 6 - Dealer comment is accurate. We have worked hard based on dealer feedback to eliminate low spots in both our fill hoses and vent tubes. Vent tube is industry standard for the most part. Doubt the diameter is the issue.

Conclusion - it's difficult to piece all of this together based on the available information. However, if you have a low point in your vent tube that is now full of water from a previous over-fill it will act like a P-Trap and make it very hard to fill your tank without the water backfilling thru the supply hose. M109s advice to "blow out" the tube is good and will help. Even for a non-clogged vent tube it is not unusual for the flow of water going in to "over power" the vent tube and cause water backfill in the supply hose. In that case, turn down your water pressure when filling. If water is coming out from an EMPTY tank, we're up against something pretty unusual.

I suggest contacting our Customer Service group so we can have conversations regarding specifics to help you out. Try them at:

Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Sorry for the long answer and the lack of true answers, but I hope this helps to some degree.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

I would like to add that when I had this problem it was obviously the vent line. After clearing the line the I had a solid stream of air out of the vent while filling. Had nothing from the vent before clearing the line.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

RV GUY...thanks for the reply....that was quick!!! I think in the spring, I will blow soft air down the vent like M109Rrider did. The dealer repair did help by shorting the fill tube, but you can still hear the water fighting to go down the fill tube. Almost like it needs air......so maybe the vent tube is not working right. Again thanks, RVguy...............
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #10

2X the vent tube!

Ron & Barb
2004 GMC 2500
2010 Wildwood 29BHBS
wvfireboss is offline   Reply With Quote