Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

How are the tracers 28 ft trailers holding up?

Are all bumper pull Ultra lites built cheaply??
A retired RV technician that told me to avoid ultra lite trailers because they are shabbily built??

I have been shopping for slightly used trailers and have come across several ultra lites less than 4 years old that look sparingly used. They appear to be in good shape. I am currently considering a 2019 Tracer by Forest river model 274BH. This trailer is very lightly used and appears like new.

this trailer has an aluminum frame and fiberglass sides . I intend to tow the trailer very little and use it for a stationary hunting camp.

Any advice regarding avoiding ultra lites and or suggestion re this 274bh Tracer by Forest River would be appreciated.

Bull
In Louisiana
bull nutria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #2

I am sure there are many valid differing viewpoints on this, but I personally would never consider an ultra light RV or equivalent. We use our RV a lot, and in my opinion based on what I have seen, lite models are not built to be used as we would.
But if it is a stationary little used hunting lodge, and you find an excellent price, why not?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks, I was thinking it I plan to park the trailer the ultra lite factor will not matter.

Bull
bull nutria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull nutria View Post

A retired RV technician that told me to avoid ultra lite trailers because they are shabbily built??

I have been shopping for slightly used trailers and have come across several ultra lites less than 4 years old that look sparingly used. They appear to be in good shape. I am currently considering a 2019 Tracer by Forest river model 274BH. This trailer is very lightly used and appears like new.

this trailer has an aluminum frame and fiberglass sides . I intend to tow the trailer very little and use it for a stationary hunting camp.

Any advice regarding avoiding ultra lites and or suggestion re this 274bh Tracer by Forest River would be appreciated.

Bull

In Louisiana
I've had a 2016 26ft TracerAir ultralight TT since it was new. It's built very well, with a solid floor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

Our Flagstaff 27 RLWS ultralite trailer has 35,000 miles on it, done the ALCAN, been all over the western US and had very few problems, mainly with the Dometic toilet. It's been very good for an ultralite. I don't think that has a lot to do with how well it stand up.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
Our Flagstaff 27 RLWS ultralite trailer has 35,000 miles on it, done the ALCAN, been all over the western US and had very few problems, mainly with the Dometic toilet. It's been very good for an ultralite. I don't think that has a lot to do with how well it stand up.
The OP was asking about PrimeTime Tracer trailers specifically and posted this in the PrimeTime sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:59 AM   #7

Tracer holding out

We have a 2014 Tracer 23foot bought brand new . one of the only issues I have with this trailer is the fading of the front nose gell cap.

our trailer faces south all of the time it is parked and the gell coat gets bleached out by the UV rays of the sun. Every year I cut polish and wax , and it looks good for 3-4 months but then it starts to oxidize ,and back up the ladder with polisher in hand I go. It has been hard on the graphics as well.
I do have a cover which goes on after the last trip of the year and does cover the front of the trailer real well . but from the time the trailer is uncovered and the sun shines it becomes the problem

After dealing with the RV dealership and getting put -off by the manufacture Prime Time --no help from them what so ever . even with the extended warranty we purchased .We were told that they did have a bad cap supplier ,and the fix by them was to have it repainted with Automotive paint- at our cost of course .
I am looking into having the front wrapped with a vinyl 3-M wrap that has a life expectancy of 10 years , no maintenance, except washing the bugs off .Its way cheaper than a sand and repaint
That is my only real complaint of our Tracer 23FBS .Other than that its been a great trailer for the price with all the options that were considered as Standard equipment

Regards --
Sparkyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull nutria View Post

Bull
In Louisiana

Prime Time does NOT use aluminum frames. It has an all steel "I beam" frame. The frames are manufactured by Lippert to Prime Time specs. for the specific floorplan to be built on it. However, the sidewalls are aluminum framed (as opposed to wood), insulated, then "sandwiched" between the outer fiberglass and the interior wall board.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tracer, trailer