Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

How is the Sanibel

We're currently on our 2nd Rockwood and love the units. Minor issues but nothing that's not been expected. The DW and I have a short list of 5th wheels we're looking at for full timing in a few years. The Sanibel being one and the Cardinal being another. Haven't seen too many post reguarding the Sanibel unit. Anyone have/have had one and how was it?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Commercial Member

lindy - not sure you will find many Sanibel owners responding quite yet. The product was just introduced last fall and many folks are just seeing it for the first time.

However, the unit is FIRST CLASS AWESOME and you will not be disappointed.

Let us know if we can help.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

We don't own one yet but, it WILL be our next upgrade. We have seen them at several shows and after looking at all kinds of makes, models and floorplans, we always go back to the Sanibel. And, IMO, the price is very reasonable for such a classy looking 5er. As RV Guy said the units are new and many folks who have purchased them probably haven't found this forum yet. I hope that if you do take the leap, you will keep posting here so we know what you think (good and bad, if any). Good luck in your search and happy camping.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

I checked one out at my dealer last year. Beautiful unit. They also sell other popular 5er's suitable for full timing. However, I didn't see any Cardinals.

IMHO the Sanibel was the nicer unit, but where they really out did the competition was the price tag!

Here's a link to the thread where I posted pictures; http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ics-15825.html
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
lindy - not sure you will find many Sanibel owners responding quite yet. The product was just introduced last fall and many folks are just seeing it for the first time.

However, the unit is FIRST CLASS AWESOME and you will not be disappointed.

Let us know if we can help.

PTM

RV Guy, so far, there's only 3 Sanibel floorplans. are there any plans for a rear kitchen model. the DW hates center kitchen floorplans, since guests have to walk thru the kitchen to be able to sit down.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

Dan, the 3500 is the model I walked through last year. Even though it is a rear living floor plan you actually don't walk through the kitchen, but rather by the kitchen. I don't know, this still may not be a floorplan you and your wife would like.
Our LaCrosse 303RKS is a rear kitchen floorplan and we really like it, however, if we were in the market for a nice 5er I wouldn't hesitate buying the Sanibel 3500.
Take a look at these pics I took last year.

I took this pic standing by the entry door. The kitchen is on the right.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a Post.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	10335

This pic is looking from the living area to the front of the 5er. Kitchen is on the left.

Name:	1 Post.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	10336

This pic is from the very rear of the 5er looking towards the entry door.

Name:	1b Post.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	10337

This is a pic of the kitchen from the entry door.

Name:	1c Post.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	10338

This is another pic of the kitchen form the living area.

Name:	1d Post.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	10339
Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Site Team

no, that's her point, you have to walk by or through the kitchen.
she wants guests or ourselves to be able to walk right in and sit down.
nor does she want to walk through/by the kitchen to go the the bathroom or the bedroom.
that's why she loves only the rear kitchen models.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #8

I can understand that. Actually one of the reasons we picked ours.

I just posted the pics to show that you don't have to actually walk through the kitchen with that particular floorplan.

Hopefully RV Guy will read your post and they'll come up with one.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Commercial Member

There are no plans right now for a rear kitchen but we appreciate the feedback and I will make sure our Product Manager for Sanibel knows of your interest. Thanks!

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #10

We own a Sanibel 3500 and we are full timers and love the unit. Few problems and we like the layout.
Wbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #11

Interior Lighting

My wife and I checked the Sanibel out at our Local RV Show here in Atlanta, Three Way Camper had one and sold it just last week.
We love the LED Lighting and the interior Step Lights, so much in fact, we have already up-graded our new Crusader 270 RET with the same step lights...other LED's will come later..
LKicklight..
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #12

lets see those step lights...

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #13

We do our PDI tomorrow morning at 9:30, we are so excited. It has been a long two months waiting. I will post pics as soon as I can. The pics that the RV Guy posted are great. We liked everything about the Sanibel 3500, we cannot find a negative and I had done a lot of research prior to our purchase. If you have not visited the Prime Time Manufacturing site you owe it to yourself to do so and read about the company and all of the news highlights, not to mention all of the campers, especially the Sanibel!
Sanibel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #14

Sanibel 3400

Our Sanibel 3400 was scheduled to come off line this past Saturday, and is scheduled to ship on 3/1 barring any issues popping up.

We are so excited to get our new rig!! If the timeline holds up, I expect that we'll head up to the dealer and pick the rig up on 3/14. We plan to do an overnight at the dealer lot to make sure everything's working ok. It's our son's Spring Break week, and the dealer is about 5 hours away, so we want to spend the time and make sure everything is taken care of the first time.

We fell in love with this unit at the Tampa RV show, and haven't found anything we like near as much anyplace else. I've been very impressed with RVGuy and PT's commitment to customer satisfaction.

Counting down the days!!
Sake' (140 lb Akita) & Ceaser (140 lb Bull Mastiff)
www.barry-overstreet.com
RVBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #15

I must be one of few with any real experience with the new Sanibel, so let me have your attention if you want a real review! We took delivery of ours in December 2011, a 3500. What sold us was the excellent floor plan for our use, and the quality of the cabinetry, fixtures, lighting. We traded in a 2010 Montana and looked at all the competion. We found we could have spent many thousand more dollars on a couple of the brands, and received very little in improvements for it. In most cases the appearance of the more expensive models seemed cheaper! The lighting is second to none. The number and thoughtful position of electrical outlets is great. The cabinet for the trash can. I can go on about the details but the videos and brochure will make those apparent. I give the good and bad...where deserved.
The bad: I didn't make it home without problems. The ceiling fan was broken from the slide hitting it. The bedroom slide ( schwintek ) wouldn't work when I checked it on a fuel stop ( seemed cocked, so I wanted to "pull it in"). I didn't get to take it on the first planned trip. Fan over stove is built into microwave and did not work. The sweeper quit and the outlets it works with didn't work. I pulled the microwave apart and fixed an internal wiring problem, traced a bad electrical connection for the sweeper/outlets and fixed that myself. I was sent a new ceiling fan by the factory and fitted it so it would not get hit again. Lippert sent me new parts ( and a spare ) for the slide. I done this myself because it was a 280 mile tow to the dealer and I know it is done right when I am satisfied. Whew! Sounds bad...and I am sure the factory could have done better with the fan and electrical outlet. Other stuff was luck of the draw. NO problems since.

The Good: Just as luxurious and comfortable as advertised! Very comfy when it is in the 30's outside. Furnace doesn't have to run all the time to keep it perfectly warm as the insulation is very good. Also very quiet inside, the A/C is much quieter than the one in the Montana. I love the LED entry lights, and many little details like that. This thing tows smoother than the Montana did and it had a MorRyde Pin Box on it! I don't know that I'll even upgrade the pin box, it is that good already. I did upgrade the entry steps to a four step unit, that is about the only thing I think should be made standard!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #16

Thanks for the report realshelby.

Too bad you had to do some mods and repairs, but one thing it shows is if you are willing and capable you can get all the "new trailer bugs" worked out and end up with a good unit that you have confidence in.

Also thanks for the comparision and telling the plus side. Sounds like you have a very nice 5'er and that the Sanibel is worth looking at if you happen to be in the market.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Thanks for the report realshelby.

Too bad you had to do some mods and repairs, but one thing it shows is if you are willing and capable you can get all the "new trailer bugs" worked out and end up with a good unit that you have confidence in.

Also thanks for the comparision and telling the plus side. Sounds like you have a very nice 5'er and that the Sanibel is worth looking at if you happen to be in the market.

And, it appears that PT sent you the correct parts you needed to do the repairs yourself without a problem. Quite sure you would have let us know in your report if there was. So, once again, PT stood behind their product and made sure you got what you needed without hassle.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #18

I have a question on my 3500, The entrance door is very hard to close and I was wandering if anyone with a Sanibel has any ideas on a fix. The striker plate is adjusted to the max. Thanks Wbowman
Wbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but I owned a tt one time that if it wasn't leveled just right the door was hard to close. Just something you might check.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
And, it appears that PT sent you the correct parts you needed to do the repairs yourself without a problem. Quite sure you would have let us know in your report if there was. So, once again, PT stood behind their product and made sure you got what you needed without hassle.
It just was not practical for me to bring the RV back to the dealer for repair. I knew I could fix it quicker than I could tow it back! Prime Times staff went out of their way to get me back in shape. I sent pictures and details to them about what was needed. I suspect they might even change the ceiling fan process at the factory based on my input. Prime Time even put me in direct contact with Lippert for help with the slide problem. Gearbox was stripped out on it, there is now a third design change that we hope will be a permanent solution. So while my reporting problems will be viewed as negative by some, I think it is just the opposite. I am completely satisfied with how the manufacturer got involved and helped make things right. While you could say a PDI should have caught these things the truth is that it is hard for a technician to detect every single thing that is just not quite right. Unfortunately I might have had a couple more bugs than I should have, as long as it does not start having stuff go wrong in the months ahead I am quite happy.

Absolutely still have faith that the Sanibel is one of the best luxury Fifth Wheels at ANY price. How is that for "positive"?