Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

How "winter proof" is it

Trailer is a PT Crusader 355BHQ set up in NW FL on a bay. We don't take it on trips and is our "cabin" on the water. Set up on a lot we developed with full hookups. All FL is not created equal and NW FL isn't south FL. It can and does get cold in the winter. Next week low 20s are forecast and more mid 20's later in the month. The water connections have exposed uprights(hose bibs) which are easy to shutoff and drain.

My questions are about the trailer and how much and how cold can it handle? Easy to drain waste tanks but I hate to go through go through a complete winterization for only a few hours of freezing. Daily highs will be 40s. Trailer gets full sun. My thoughts are disconnect and drain water supply hose, drain all tanks including the fresh water, open low point drains. I don't have my compressor to blow out the lines. I could leave the propane heat on about 50 but not sure how much, if any, of the underbelly is heated in the Crusader. Also figured I could leave the electric side of the water heater on but don't want to do that if the low point drains empty the water heater tank. When I leave it for a week at a time during normal use I turn water and water heater off, close propane valves, etc. Unfortunately won't be able to come down and use it during the time to keep heat on and run water.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have full LP cylinders, and you're on shore power, leave the heat on about 60º and turn off the water and drain the hose. Open the cabinet doors, and Leave everything else as is. The furnace will provide enough heat to keep everything from freezing during the short freeze we're going to have.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Trailer is a PT Crusader 355BHQ set up in NW FL on a bay. We don't take it on trips and is our "cabin" on the water. Set up on a lot we developed with full hookups. All FL is not created equal and NW FL isn't south FL. It can and does get cold in the winter. Next week low 20s are forecast and more mid 20's later in the month. The water connections have exposed uprights(hose bibs) which are easy to shutoff and drain.

My questions are about the trailer and how much and how cold can it handle? Easy to drain waste tanks but I hate to go through go through a complete winterization for only a few hours of freezing. Daily highs will be 40s. Trailer gets full sun. My thoughts are disconnect and drain water supply hose, drain all tanks including the fresh water, open low point drains. I don't have my compressor to blow out the lines. I could leave the propane heat on about 50 but not sure how much, if any, of the underbelly is heated in the Crusader. Also figured I could leave the electric side of the water heater on but don't want to do that if the low point drains empty the water heater tank. When I leave it for a week at a time during normal use I turn water and water heater off, close propane valves, etc. Unfortunately won't be able to come down and use it during the time to keep heat on and run water.

I think you should be ok as long as it doesn't stay below freezing longer than a few hours. Do as you plan as far as draining and just to be on the safe side, I'd set the thermostat at 40 or 45, & open any doors/drawers where plumbing exist. If it's going to stay below freezing more than say 8 hours, I'd drain and pump a little pink stuff in just to make sure.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Should only be below freezing a few hours and warming to around 50 in the day. My plan is drain the waterlines on the property since the faucets are on 3/4" pvc up about 30" above ground. The dock has some above ground/water lines that could be vulnerable and they are easy to drain. As far as the trailer I plan to remove and drain the water supply hose, turn on the propane heater to 40-50 degrees. I'll take the suggestions about opening the cabinets but I'm not going to drain all the trailer lines. Water heater tank will be full so I'l leave the electric element on. Pump off.

Last year I was in the motorhome doing some construction on the site and were had several days of cold nights, low 20's. But I was in it running the heat and water keeping things moving.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

just drain your lines for overnight, if you're really concerned, and you'll be fine...

though, admittedly, it would probably not be anywhere low enough, for long enough, to be any issue regardless

another idea is to just run all your faucets, and your shower, every several hours to give the water some movement - it's much harder for water to freeze when it's moving
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #6

I'd be more concerned about areas where water is very constricted, such as the valves in the toilet and the water pump.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
D W

Cold Weather Lesson#1: Water will start to freeze at 32°F.

Cold Weather Lesson#2: If it can freeze, it will.

Cold Weather Lesson#3: It takes less time to freeze than it does to thaw.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #8

I disconnected the water line, put heat on at 45, opened cabinets, and also drained exposed water lines on the property, dock etc. I won't be there till later in week and latest forecast isn't as cold but still in upper 20s.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I disconnected the water line, put heat on at 45, opened cabinets, and also drained exposed water lines on the property, dock etc. I won't be there till later in week and latest forecast isn't as cold but still in upper 20s.

I think you'll be fine.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you have full LP cylinders, and you're on shore power, leave the heat on about 60º and turn off the water and drain the hose. Open the cabinet doors, and Leave everything else as is. The furnace will provide enough heat to keep everything from freezing during the short freeze we're going to have.
^^This^^

And I'll add to the turn off the water and drain the hose... relieve the pressure in the plumbing system by opening a faucet or flushing the toilet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I would drain everything except the fresh water tank.

And, turn off and drain water heater and disconnect the fresh water hose from the side of the trailer.

Why take any chances?

It only takes a few minutes to fire it all back up.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #12

last year while staying at a relative's all hooked up, I set the heater and opened all cabinets, etc., for temps in low 20s. All went well except the water filter, in a closed compartment, froze and cracked. Since then I put a small incandescent light in the compartment to add a few degrees of heat. So far no more problems.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #13

"weatherization" update

We ended up going down Sunday night, coldest night, and it wasn't as bad as the "doom and gloom" forecasters had said. 2-3 hours of 30+- degrees. I turned everything back on at the property except left the dock area lines drained. Too cold and windy to take the boat out so didn't need water at the dock. Needless to say, no issue and I thank this who provided suggestions. Trailer is in it's normal mode of just having things like gas and water turned off while we are gone. We'll be back in a few days.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Site Team

I'm glad everything worked out. Thanks for coming back and letting us know it was ok.

Tags
roo, roof, winter