Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

Insulating the pass through storage

I've been able to boondock in a local State Forest from mid May until the end of October the last three years. Nights in October, and even September, can get pretty chilly up here near the Canadian border, 20s are not uncommon.

The pass through storage is unheated which can make the mattress, which sits on top of it, pretty chilly. If I have shore power, an electric mattress pad is even better than an electric blanket, but when I'm boondocking that's not an option. My solution with my current Avenger 21RB, and my previous camper, has been to insulate with 1.5" styrofoam glued between the framing of the top of the storage bay and between the studs of the knee wall. The under bed storage on the 21RB was open to the pass through storage so I also framed that in and insulated it as well. The plastic strapping stapled to the framing is just insurance to keep the panels in place should the glue fail (it hasn't).Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190114_162743986.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	194865Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190114_162734434.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	194869
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Our passthru and underbed area is not insulated as well, and I've been pondering insulating it. I didn't think about the Styrofoam, but that looks like a good idea. I just may have to steal that.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Good idea. I don't do much cold weather camping on purpose, but CO jumps up and bites me once in a while. Thanks for the post.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Our passthru and underbed area is not insulated as well, and I've been pondering insulating it. I didn't think about the Styrofoam, but that looks like a good idea. I just may have to steal that.
I don't think any of them are. My previous trailer was. Keystone Bullet 229RBI and it wasn't either. It was aluminum framed so the inch and a half styrofoam extended beyond the framing, but it was worth it for the 50% greater insulation value.

It really does keep the mattress warmer, and it reduces the potential for condensation under the mattress and between the head of the bed and the front wall.

I've been really pleased with the result, which is why I shared, so steal away. You just have to be sure to use as glue that is compatible with the styrofoam you use. And if course you have to be mindful that anything in the storage area is more prone to freezing if you are camping in sub freezing temperatures.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

I wanted to check what adhesive I used for the pink styrofoam so I didn't misspeak. It was CRC General Purpose Spray Adhesive. It's a low VOC, quick tack aerosol adhesive.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

This same project is on my winter trailer modification list. We have a Salem 171RBXL and with extreme temperature differences the vinyl on the edge of the fold down love seat sitting between the Murphy Bed and the pass through has become wet on occasion. Thank you for sharing your project specs.
2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
2017 - 1460 miles, 22 nights
2018 - 2712 miles, 29 nights
BillD_CltNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #7

Reflix under the mattress, made noticeable difference for us in both the cold and hot, I also caulk the seams inside the pass thur, this a good idea for our other compartments.
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage