Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
DS ADV Rider

Lacrosse 301RLS slideout failure

My '12 Lacrosse has been in winter storage since Oct '13 and I went to check it out yesterday. Everything survived this unusually brutal Ontario winter except the bedroom slideout.

When using the "OUT" button, only the right side moves and the left stays stationary. I just assumed it had probably got one seal "stuck" over the winter and tried again while vigorously pushing the left edge from inside. Couldn't move it, and reclosed it fully. Checked outside and nothing obviously wrong, so tried again, this time pulling left edge from outside. Couldn't move it, and gave up until I had time to investigate further (it was torrential rain at the time). Note: The battery was freshly charged and there were no visible external blockages.

Looked up the Prime Time Components Manuals on their website but it wasn't clear to me which of the various systems are on this slideout (wardrobe/linen/pantry). My slideout has a toothed strip near the top and bottom edges of the sides that I assumed had motors with a gear that drive it (like a rack and pinion steering mechanism). Looking at the manuals, I'd guess the Lippert system is what's used on the Max-Slide for the sofa and dining table slide. The other system, Accu-Slide, seems to be cable operated and I see no signs of cables on mine.

If it is the Accu-Slide, then there seems to be a single motor driving both sides and the Trouble Shooting Guide does not cover one side not moving - seems to be all or nothing.

When I put the trailer into outside storage both slides operated normally, so I cannot think of a scenario where one side would stop working, while parked and unused.

Anyone have any ideas on this so I can check it before deciding if the Dealer Service is required? It's out of Warranty now.

Thanks
Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is it possible mice have gotten into your coach and chewed through your wires?
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
DS ADV Rider

There was no evidence of mice or water ingress - seems to be sealed up tight.

Depending on which slide mechanism we have, we may only have 1 motor on the bedroom slideout (if it's the BAL Accu-Slide) so the wires should be secure as the motor runs.

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
on_the_bayou

If this the Schwintek In-Wall Slide System.
PT has video about this system.
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers, fifth wheels and toy haulers
2012: 4564 mi 31 days - 2013: 6277 mi 38 days
2014: 5146 mi 38 days - 2015: 1200 mi 9 days
2016: 342 mi 2 days - 2017: 2734 mi 22 days
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
DS ADV Rider

Thank you! That's exactly the model I have and I even know where PT hid the diagnostic module

There's a "night table" beside the bed which has a screwed-on top that isn't really apparent. I had to remove this top when we had a bad water leak caused by improperly installed water connectors in the UDC, and the slide-out control module is there.

I've been back on the PT website and downloaded the Manual which gives trouble shooting advice when one side of the slideout doesn't move

Thanks again. I'll check it out as soon as the rain stops.

Bob
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

Sounds like you are on the right track. You might have to wait out the rain a little longer; looks like we won't dry out until next week some time.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

I had to look up the floor plan...I guess they don't make it anymore. My controller was located under the wardrobe closet behind a panel. If it's trying to move on one side only, only one motor is being energized. Schwintek Slides have 2 motors, on for each side that operate in parallel. I would suspect, looking at the floorplan I found, your controller will be in the shirt closet. Look for a false bottom in the closet. They usually put them behind the universal docking station inside the unit.
aubries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
DS ADV Rider

The controller on my unit is behind the UDC and is accessed by removing a screwed-on tabletop in front of the shirt closet.
I tried troubleshooting today using the Operation and Service Manual. The good news is both motors get powered, but only Motor 1 can move the slideout. The bad news is that I need to remove Motor 2 to see if the slide is free to move, but it can only be accessed from outside with the slide fully open. Surprisingly, there are no error codes when only one side moves.

The Manual notes how to increase the current to the motor if it has trouble moving the slide so that may solve my problem. However that feature seems to assume the slide does move, but not enough, so I'm not very confident that's the solution and didn't try it without further advice.

Unless anyone here knows if/how the motor can be disengaged (as shown in the video link above) from the inside, I'll have to call the Manufacturer.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

I will reiterate--one can not move the slide with one motor. They are synchronized and both need to work. How do you know they are both working? I did read that if you remove power from the slide (total power) that with a couple people, one can move the slide. Some systems are designed like that. By total power, that means shore power and battery power. If you are getting power to the motor and it's not functioning, it could be "frozen" or corroded. If you are able to move the slide a little with some physical pushing, it might free the motor. How to get the motor with the slide closed is a mystery to me. It shows how to get at it with the slide open. I am curious how you make out--please let me know. Remember, two people, balanced push on both interior slides.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

We had the same issue several times in our 2012 Wildcat 312. I finally discovered that the connector between the motor and the sync unit comes loose easily. As the slide reached it's out position, the pressure between the slide and the wall where they meet would cause the connection to the motor to come loose. As the slide extended, I would stop it to check the connections. When the motor fails with the slide out, getting it in enough to gain access to it required 4 people to ease the slide in enough for access.

In my wildcat, you could see the wire and the connector when the slide was in by peeling the rubber/plastic seal off. Before tampering with the motor, unplug the wires from the sync unit. After checking the connections, plug the wires back in to the sync unit.

This process worked for us several times. The motors in our unit failed so often that we sold the trailer and bought one with manual overrides and nothing made by Schwintec! We replaced 3 motors in the 2 years we owned the trailer.

BTW, the only manual override for these motors in brute force!

Good luck!
2013 - 29, 2012 - 29, 2011 - 23, 2010 - 33, 2009 -35, 2008 - 29, 2007 - 31
bka4tcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubries View Post
.... They are synchronized and both need to work. How do you know they are both working? I did read that if you remove power from the slide (total power) that with a couple people, one can move the slide. ....
I read the Manual and it explained how you can enable Motor 1, Motor 2, or both Motors in the Manual Mode. That's what I did. Motor 1 ran and moved the slide. Motor 2 tried to run, based on the noise, but couldn't move the slide.

It takes more than just removing all the power to manually push the slide in. You need to access the motors from outside to remove their securing screws. Then you reach past the wiper seals and push each motor up about 1/2" to disengage the gear drive. THEN you can push the slide closed and use a wood block (sized to wedge between the wall and the flange of the slide.

I'm hoping there's a backup method for disengaging the motors when the slideout is stuck in CLOSED position.

I'll be phoning Lippert tomorrow to discuss.

Bob
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #12

Lacrosse 301RLS slideout failure

Good luck, been there and done that. My dealers solution was to look for how to videos on the Lippert website, sounds like you have done that.
2013 - 29, 2012 - 29, 2011 - 23, 2010 - 33, 2009 -35, 2008 - 29, 2007 - 31
bka4tcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bka4tcu View Post
We had the same issue several times in our 2012 Wildcat 312. I finally discovered that the connector between the motor and the sync unit comes loose easily. .... Before tampering with the motor, unplug the wires from the sync unit. After checking the connections, plug the wires back in to the sync unit. ...
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

My unit has a few loops of cable before plugging in to the controller, so it shouldn't get any load at the plug when operating.

Disappointed to hear you had so many motor failures.

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #14

Not true--brut force with the power totally off is an option. As long as there is any power to the unit, it applies a "break" to the motors.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubries View Post
Not true--brut force with the power totally off is an option. As long as there is any power to the unit, it applies a "break" to the motors.
Interesting. How do you define "brute force"? 1 big guy, 2 small guys, 4-ton hydraulic jack, etc?

I tried really hard to push the "stuck" side while the motors were energised, but absolutely no movement. Would this suggest to you that one of my motors has seized solid so that it cannot rotate at all?

I've been on hold for ages with Lippert Cust Service - hope to get some help soon

Bob
Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #16

I assume he meant the motor has to have no power to it. If there is power to the motor, it would have the electric brake he is mentioning. Cut the trailer power and see if you can push it in.

Robert
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #17

Thanks Robert! If there is any power to the unit (battery, truck, or shore power), it engages the breaks to the electrical motors--this keeps the slides from shaking out while traveling. You need 2 men with a little ass to uniformly push the slide out at the same time. These Lippert Schwinteck slides are really precise fitting and trying to move one side jambs the slide. It has to be even and the power (total power to the camper) needs to be OFF. Disconnect the positive side of the battery and unplug from the 110 shore power source.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
DS ADV Rider

Lippert eventually answered the phone and were very helpful. The Tech agreed with my troubleshooting steps EXCEPT he says I should have held the "Extend" button until the controller shut down when Motor 1 would have stalled out. That explains why I got no error codes - I prematurely stopped trying to open it to prevent damage but the controller does that, and then displays the Error Code.

From the description of my tests, he says Motor 2 has failed, probably in the gearbox, and is jammed. It needs replacing BUT it can only be done from the outside so disassembly of the slideout flange is needed. I've now got a call in to PT to see if they made provision for this.

Re Brute Force: Tech says that a full grown rhino couldn't move the slideout without disengaging the motor on systems built after "2010 or 2011". Mine was built in Feb 2012 (purchased Aug '12).

Bob
Old 05-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #19

Slide out flange does not need to be disassembles if the slide is open, one only needs to remove the seal (move down to release screw.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #20

His slide is closed.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lacrosse, slide, slide out