Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #21

I like the free standing table...does that have the same mechanics as the current table in the 318 I keep hitting my knees on...cause if it doesn't I would be interested in getting one of those

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #22

I actually like hat setup myself...him. ,a modification possibly? Would just have to replace sofa and table correct? Seems pretty simple..

Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
Commercial Member

We don't have any plans to offer that type of set-up I'm sorry to say. But I'm curious what you think of this. We are playing around with a version of this and would love the feedback. A large drawer will go under the center area - it was damaged so I couldn't include it in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sectional.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	15268  
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #24

As a 318 owner, i can say i like the couch part. I think the issue a lot of us have is with the functionality of the table. The u dinette is awesome, but you have to be a gymnast or a little kid to get in there and not injure yourself on the table legs! In the picture you posted, the u dinette is gone, and that really affects the appeal for the majority of us who bought the unit with kids in mind. 2 people can sit ' comfortably' at those bench seats......any more than that and its frustrating. I too kinda liked the giant loveseat from original post. Give me a u dinette and couch 'in leather' with a table that has a single leg in the center. Let me know, ill send you a check asap!...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #25

Smile

That set up is a slight improvement, at least from the storage perspective. However, I think from most perspectives the "sectional couch option" is superior. First, I know the U-dinette is 84-85 inches in the 318 BHS. However, a common theme I hear on this forum is how difficult it is to get in and out of it and how you bang your knees on the table. With the couch option there is no booth to slide into. I appreciate the design and functionality of the table itself. Two legs are needed to utilize it as a coffee table and/or a table outside etc. The sectional couch also comes with such a table, therefore you dont loose any dining space. In fact, since the sectional is so wide (wide as the double slideout), you could obtain a second table and double your dinette space if your desire. All without banging your knees or trying to fit into a booth. Moreover, the "sectional couch option" has two areas of storage on each end of the sectional like the area of storage in your photo between the dinette and couch. It also come with on ottoman with storage inside. Thus you do not loose any storage with the "sectional couch option". Additionally, your not loosing any sleeping capacity. That sectional is huge. It has a bed in the middle. Your designers could keep it a full, increase it to queen, or get crazy and make it a king size bed. That would be another first in class for you guys. Bed length is your only limitation. No matter, even with the full bed extended out of the middle of the sectional couch, it is so long you can sleep two others on opposite ends of the sectional. Finally, the "sectional couch option" you gain a great big continuous sectional couch. One big enough that my whole family of 6 can sit, lay, and veg on as needed. If any of the readers get a chance to see a Surveyor 305 with a sectional couch you would understand my passion. I understand there is no perfect camper, but the 318 BHS with a "sectional couch option" would be pretty close.
wdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #26

In your prototype picture, does the middle arm of the couch and left back of dinette bench swivel/move around to form a large sitting area. or are they fixed.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
Commercial Member

They are fixed so you can "lean" against them.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. It's interesting. The concept in the Surveyor has been around for quite some time but has generally been found in Toy Haulers. Typically, when it's been attempted to take this concept "mainstream" in the past the results have not been good. Perhaps, styling and functionallity has improved to the point where it's more appealing.

I appreaciate you taking the time . . . that's how we learn.

PTM
Old 06-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #28

I understand I'm just one customer and you have to serve the 90th percentile, but if I get a petition with 50 signatures... just kidding. Your prototype is interesting. It would be cool if they could be "fixed" to lean against and unlocked to swing out to form a large family sitting area. I would suggest cupholders everywhere. The corners, between the couch and dinette against the wall and short ones between the dinette and couch above your missing drawer. I've been in a lot of campers where that space was not optimized with cupholders or additional storage. Thanks again you guys are great.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #29

I for one agree that the u shape dinette is great for family meals...and agree that a better table design would make it perfect as I hit my knees all the time. A single pedestal table would solve the problem. Any ideas where I may find one that will fit that space?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #30

there is a nice pedestal table on my boat i have been eyeballing REAL hard! LOL...Actually i have sat and looked at the table in my camper for what seemed like hours (or about 5 beers), and have come to the conclusion that what i really WANT is actually pretty simple. A table on a single pneumatic lift (think office chair).

See the table ,the way it is, is actually fairly well designed. Removable, and can be used in dinette position, or coffee table position. With my idea, you retain the adjustability, but only require one center leg.

Now this could be in a nice solid floor mount (like my boat), or a multi foot based "moveable" mount.

thats the "best" solution i have come up with as of yet. I have not sourced a lift or any parts, but if a 39.99 office chair lift can hold my but up for hours on end, why would it be so difficult or expensive to do?? Obviously an office chair lift does not have the travel we would need, but still?? Come on 318 owners.....lets UNITE AND CONQUER!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #31

A pedestal table would be a problem unless the bas was very large or bolted to the floor. This of a small child scooting around to get in, and putting all their weight on the table as they do.

I find the dinette fairly uncomfortable. The cushions smoosh down and you are sitting on the wood at the edges. I wish we had gone with the free standing dinette.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #32

yes, the table in my boat has the base mounted to the floor, but the table is still removable.

if a foot based "base" was used used, you are right...it would have to be large enough. However, this does not mean bulky. if constructed correctly, 4-6 lightweight 12" feet would be more than adequate....unless your kids are 200+lbs like me...then it could be a problem! LOL

personally i would be willing to lose the mobility, to gain the easier adjustment, and more practical usage from a single pedestal. After all it is a dinette and bed first and foremost. It was clever thinking of prime to try and make the table MORE useful, but in doing so, they kinda lost focus on the things you MUST use it for....of course if they put a mount in front of the couch (to use as coffee table) and also included a "mobile mount kit" so you could use it outside, then there we go......back to perfect again....haha
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Good stuff, folks - this is a Hall of Fame thread for consumer feedback. Thanks.

PTM
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #34

if any of our ideas/feedback make it into production, let us know.....and maybe toss us a coupon to TGI fridays.....or Camping World!! LOL...but seriously....
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #35
Commercial Member

I gotta get wdan on board with Prime Time first
Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #36

Well, you know the old saying about a horse and water?...lol....

You guys are doing things right. Offer an exceptional value.... the things most people complain about are not major issues from what i have read/seen....would not have bought the unit if not...

What else can you do? Certainly you may be able to custom build him something for a price.....but would that cost (whatever it may be) be of value to him?......only he can say......we shall see!.

To be continued........................:-)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #37

I may be down by the water, but not drinking the prime time kool aid yet LOL. Still trying to decide. I have it narrowed down to the 318 bhs or the Surveyor 305. Either way a win for forest river and a win for my family. I will say this much, at this part of the ballgame (the decision stage) all dealers, reps, and forum input has been wonderful. I called the guys at prime time last week and was taking to a human in less than 3 minutes and my all my questions were answered. Hats off to you guys. Thanks again. You to RV Guy.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #38

I will also add that the sectional sofa in the surveyor 305 is the reason I have not pulled the trigger on a BHS 318. My family really likes that configuration.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #39
Commercial Member

Prime Time Kool-Aid - LOL
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdan View Post
I may be down by the water, but not drinking the prime time kool aid yet LOL. Still trying to decide. I have it narrowed down to the 318 bhs or the Surveyor 305. Either way a win for forest river and a win for my family. I will say this much, at this part of the ballgame (the decision stage) all dealers, reps, and forum input has been wonderful. I called the guys at prime time last week and was taking to a human in less than 3 minutes and my all my questions were answered. Hats off to you guys. Thanks again. You to RV Guy.

Ill tell you, in the end, that is one of the big things that swayed me when i was trying to decide. I called prime with some questions my dealer could not answer, and got to talk to who i am pretty sure in retrospect was the VP. Every question was thoroughly answered as if he built them all himself. Im not sure if the other FR lines have that level of customer service, but it sure was impressive.

Not only that, but since delivery of the trailer, every little issue however small that has cropped up has been delt with quickly and directly by Prime.

In the end, only you can decide which features you MUST have, and if sacrificing one "thing" for another is something you can live with. The way i look at it, if there is something i want bad enough, ill just customize it to my desire. In the end i too REALLY like that sectional sofa, but would not be willing to lose the door to the restroom, increased fresh and grey capacity, taller ceiling, nor better fit and finish of the 318.

in the end, no matter what you decide, i think they are both great layouts for a family. just flip a coin and go camping!! LOL