Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #21

I heard tru there posts that the Maxxis is not always built in the US---I have called and talked to Carlisle and it is built in the US and the rating for a ---15--- rim is superior then most, and being Canadian can get it 40 miles form my place
Claude002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I looked at the new Carlisle 16" F rated. They certainly look beefier and the largest 2 do indeed have ST in their model number. I see they have recommended PSI of 95 vs. my Maxxis' 80 psi. But I could not find anywhere that Carlisle supports 87mph. No matter, its only 75 mph on very smooth freeways that would come into play. Unless you travel the Austin Texas east side toll way where the limit is 85mph.
Link to a screen capture of the speed rating.

They seem to have tweaked their website. If you look at their FAQ you can see their speed rating definition and then when you browse Discount Tire website you can see the speed ratings of a given tire.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
Link to a screen capture of the speed rating.

They seem to have tweaked their website. If you look at their FAQ you can see their speed rating definition and then when you browse Discount Tire website you can see the speed ratings of a given tire.
Thanks for pointing me to those Carlisle links. I see that their "L" is rated 75mph and "N" is 87mph. I also see later in the FAQ where they recommend only 60mph when towing. No matter, they are good tires and its my comfort with the trailer size, weight, road and climate conditions that keep me between 60 and 65. For this old guy, 70mph is usually white knuckle driving ;-)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #24

I'm sure the 60 mph recommendation is a CYA. They actually speed test the tires at the higher MPH and rate them at those speeds which other manufacturers don't seem to do.

I don't necessarily want to go 87 either. I just hate to think that the tire manufacturer has only tested them to 65, or even worse they designed them to 65 and anything faster is going to lead me down the path of blown tire. There are times I feel safer at 70 because of the speed of traffic around me.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #25

[QUOTE=Claude002;884344]To btritschler1437--TOOK THE WHEEL OFF this is the results--MAX LOAD 2830 LBS/668 --Do not want to put more weight or go faster but want to be over protective--only a few bucks more---can you clarify--thanks

The max load is 2,830, you have 80 lbs psi rims.
btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel