Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Loose Ceiling

Hi All
I noticed on my 2016 295 RST. In the living room the ceiling panel that has the speakers, A/C vents and lights is only being held on by the edges.. The middle is bowing down and I can push it up to the substrate underneath. I am going to remove what I can and see if I can glue it up somehow. I suspect it is all the pieces attached to it causing the issue. Has any one else had this issue.. Any suggestions?
It is not really very noticeable just the way the light hit it last night I noticed it.
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Site Team

I noticed while rewiring our unit for a second A/C that in our bedroom the ceiling panels are held up with staples and there's a space on a couple of joists that were missed, so it's sagging a little. Barely enough to notice until you push up on the ceiling. I plan on stapling it up when I get back to working on it.

If your unit has aluminum framing, then gluing may be your best bet.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

I had a ceiling panel come loose in the center as well above a bunk, the staples were sunk too far in and eventually pulled through the board. I used some stainless screws and finishing washers. I like the idea of being able to remove it if ever needed. Might not work for you if you're a form over function individual but my wife is okay with it.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

find out what type of framing you have in the ceiling first. take out a speaker if you need to, fish a metal wire, unbent coat hanger in until you its the joist. should be able to tell what it is pretty easily. if wood, use staples if you dont want to see them. you can putty the hole. probably a 1/4 crown staple that is glue coated. the glue melts from the friction of being driven in, and hardens into the wood fibers as is cools, rock solid. screws if you want to remove it. screws are easy to install if its metal framing too. add a nice finish washer as mentioned before to make it look nice.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'll add one more thing... more often than not, they will staple into aluminum framing too. (yes staple.. quick/easy)

Often times that framing is in the walls so they turn the air on the staple gun up to apply more force to inject the staple into the aluminum.

The problem is, it drives the staples too deep and they seat themselves deep into the panel. (sometimes mostly through it) It is even worse when they then move to a wooden framed area and don't turn it back... they may as well not even bother fastening it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.. Seems like it is pretty common.. I am going to try to glue as I am away from my air tools.
Nice to get speedy replies like this
Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Ceiling Fastener

So I can see there is a wood truss roof. I can not tell how the ceiling is supposed to fasten. I lave looked for staples or nails and I can not see any anywhere.. I do not think anyone could fill a staple that good. I could also not see through the speaker hole any hint of glue.. If any one has gone deep into the ceiling removal or repair on one of these and knows first hand how they are fastened let me know..

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Mist View Post
So I can see there is a wood truss roof. I can not tell how the ceiling is supposed to fasten. I lave looked for staples or nails and I can not see any anywhere.. I do not think anyone could fill a staple that good. I could also not see through the speaker hole any hint of glue.. If any one has gone deep into the ceiling removal or repair on one of these and knows first hand how they are fastened let me know..

Thanks everyone.
Every R/V is different.
I've been part of two different complete roof/ceiling replacements. One was screwed with staples strips covering the screws. The other was stapled and glued with paper strips covering the seams. Both had something rather than nothing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote