Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Mouse Attack!

I was attacked, sometime between my last use of our trailer (Aug) and today. I was winterizing Applejack and my wife came by (We use a outside storage lot) to take some of the stored gear we had. Well,when she opened up the cabinet below the sink, she found that a styrofoam cup o soup was chewed into (but it didn't like it) and a box of pancake mix also chewed into but not much as well. I was ticked! We're over concrete, I know we screwed up by having dry goods I the trailer, so lesson learned the hard way!!

So what is the best way to find the hole it came in from & hopefully exited? And Im goi g to get the peppermint oil & glue traps to be sure. I also now know we need to be in there monthly when were not using her.

Do mice find other ways in other than chewing threw the cardboard undercoat? Please share your experiences, I don't want to lose out and find a whole ton of mice babies shredding the couch, bed and blankets up when I get back.

Thanks!
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

We have had issues with packrats in our 5er. At one point they had chewed close to 18' feet of insulation off of the exposed wiring under the trailer and knawed their way into the floor insulation from above the water tank and then following the kitchen sink drain pipe underneath the flooring. They just started building a nest when I discovered the damage they had started. They could have squeezed between the drain pipe and the hole in the flooring to access the interior.

I filled every hole in the frame entering into the storage compartments and flooring with the spray foam, replaced all of the wiring that was chewed and put that plastic wire covering over what wires that were exposed. It seems as if they don't mess with the foam and any wiring that is incased in the plastic covering.

Good luck...those little critters can leave a mess. Plug all floor penetrations with the spray foam.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Steve Jackson

Are these mice crawling up the tires? I can't see how else they would get up on the camper unless they are very good jumpers. I mean if you have no dangling wires or chains the tires are the only way to get in or am I missing something?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Where ever you can put a pencil a mouse can go through it as well. After one year with mice in our old trailer we went to Koender bait stations and have not had a mouse since.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

They can climb anything, tires, rims, jacks, etc.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #6

We use a combination of plugging all openings, screening all vents, thorough cleaning, bounce sheets, peppermint oil, and this year we added packets of "Fresh Cab" (from Tractor Supply).

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

I tried Fresh Cab last year and all it did was make the fiver smell like Santa's Village. Pine scent is nice, but mothballs and\or drier sheets are more effective.
Mike
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

We store our trailer at an outside storage place too and had mice. I battled them for two years before I got them. I'm now mouseproofing my new trailer and here's my experiences and recommendations:

- Most of the time the mice were entering through the bottom. I found holes in the corrugated bottom that they could squeeze through. Once through, they have free reign on the entire underbelly. Not good. You need to crawl under the trailer and block those holes! Spray foam works well and spray into everything and anything.
- Everyone will recommend dryer sheets, peppermint oil, etc. but I have found they do not work. If a mouse can get through the bottom and find a nice insulated place to winter, they will, even if you have that nice smelling stuff. I even had a mouse nest in the dryer sheets.
- You will need to buy screens for your furnace and fridge. I believe Camco makes them. The last thing you want is a mouse gaining access through the furnace and making a nest somewhere in your ducts.
- Once you seal off the outside, you should still seal off the inside for good measure. The place I found most times they can get in is where the fresh water hose comes in from the bottom. The manufacturers usually cut too big of a hole and don't seal it properly. You need to find out where that pipe comes in from and spray it with foam. You should also find the other vents, pipes and wires entering the trailer and do the same. You will probably need to unscrew some partitions in the cabinets to get to everything but it's well worth it.
- I have also found a huge hole under the shower trap in all trailers I have owned. You need to spray foam in there too. Again, if a mouse gains access underneath, that would be an easy access point for it into your trailer.
- You can also use steel wool instead of foam but I prefer foam.
- After doing all of the above, I set lot's and lot's of traps. I just used unbaited snap traps along the wall because they seem to be everywhere if they get in. I didn't want to bait them and give them a reason to enter. I found glue traps to be nasty to clean up.
- We also own cats and I brush the hair off the cats and tape it in a few places underneath. I don't know if this works or not but they stopped coming in so I keep doing it.

Anyway, that's what I did to mouseproof my unit and after two year's it worked.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

Build a mouse trap like this. I didn't come up with this but it is an easy way to get them.

If you do not care how they die, as long as they die, here's a tutorial for you.

You will need the following items: bucket, coat hanger, empty plastic spice container or thin can, drill and needle-nosed pliers. (see pics)

Assemble them as shown, smear Peanut Buttler evenly on container, fill bottom of bucket with water to within a half an inch of the bottom of the rolling covered container.

Make sure you center the coat hanger in the middle of the container.

Use a stick to make a 'ramp' up to the hole for the little varmints to hurry along to their doom....

Dispose of drowned mice however you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	20943   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	20944  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Steve Jackson

[QUOTE=punkaccountant;267116]
- You will need to buy screens for your furnace and fridge. I believe Camco makes them. The last thing you want is a mouse gaining access through the furnace and making a nest somewhere in your ducts.

Are you talking about screening of where the vents are on the outside wall of camper or the roof or both?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #11

[QUOTE=sideout1961;267126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post

Are you talking about screening of where the vents are on the outside wall of camper or the roof or both?
The outside wall.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Quick update as I just returned today from a visit to the Trailer. I found mouse poop on the comforter in five or so spots.

We placed glue traps in the lower cabinet areas and by the furnace vents were there is access to the lower floor area. We also put the pepermint laced cotton balls in a lot of areas as well.

I checked the most accessable traps that were in the immediate area but there were no signs of mice there.

I am going to get some D-Con traps now and lay out more of those and in the more open spots where the poop was.

I am totally bummed, the trailier is parked in the middle of a parking lot, there are RVs all around us, the down side of this lot is that is 100 yards form a Water Treatment Plant. There is a lot of dirt and gravel between the lot and the WTP, but that could be a major draw for mice.

Any thoughts or feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Semper Fi
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I feel you pain...luckily (knock on wood) we have NOT been hit by the little rascals ...yet.

We too have been using "Fresh Cab"... we store our trailer outside in an old camp ground (no water or electric)...However when ever we go on a trip and come back, we remove EVERYTHING food wise or tasty to mouse. Remove even canned goods (do not leave the slightest morsel) Why invite them in!

And I clean EVERYTHING in sight to make sure there is NO food residue....counter, sink trap, floor, tables, table clothes, rugs, refridge, anything! So far...KNOCK ON WOOD... ( I dont even want to say it).....

Also we check our camper on a regular bases... something like ever 2-3 weeks. Do a walk through. Open cabinets, closets, storage bins. We can check for water leaks or damage too. This is cheap insurance!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Build a mouse trap like this. I didn't come up with this but it is an easy way to get them.

If you do not care how they die, as long as they die, here's a tutorial for you.

You will need the following items: bucket, coat hanger, empty plastic spice container or thin can, drill and needle-nosed pliers. (see pics)

Assemble them as shown, smear Peanut Buttler evenly on container, fill bottom of bucket with water to within a half an inch of the bottom of the rolling covered container.

Make sure you center the coat hanger in the middle of the container.

Use a stick to make a 'ramp' up to the hole for the little varmints to hurry along to their doom....

Dispose of drowned mice however you wish.

Thanks for the great instructions. I'm havn't had any trouble with mice this year but I'm going to try it anyway.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #15

I read somewhere the other day that the little guys don't like steel wool. I am thinking if you have a problem and you know where they are getting in or just wrap some steel wool around landing gear or water lines, power cable...etc...

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #16

I checked on the TT today to see if there was any trap activity, but there was none... Totally stumped as to why none have been trapped. I placed them where I saw mouse poop...
Semper Fi
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #17

My favorite trap is one made by ORTHO. It's a little red/white plastic one, similar to the classic mousetrap design. I've killed numerous mice with the same trap...just dump the corpse and re-bait and set. Little devils can't resist peanut butter.

Oh...these were used in my house, not the RV. I haven't had any rodent problems there...yet.

Wow this ended up being a long web addy...dunno if copy/paste will work on that one.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=Q0j/loUeutu
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #18

I would suggest using bait boxes and putting them on the outside of the camper rather than the inside. I have taken the advice from my exterminator at work who suggests this. He says lets bait their most likely points of entry and get them there. Makes sense. It has worked flawlessly. No more mice in the building. Should work the same way with the camper. He also told me that the bait they eat is like a big juicy steak for them. A cant resist. They bring some back to their family to share. No need to be concerned about them dying and smelling up an area as the poison will kill them by sort of dehydrating them and they will literally dry up. But..like I said we have not seen a mouse inside the building since moving bait boxes outside. I do the same at home too and have had the same success there too.

Tomcat || Rodent Baits & Stations

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #19

We have had our new tt since April. I have been using bobcat pee in little ventilated containers under my tt. I hang six 3 oz containers {2 on each side of trailer near tires and 2 in front near jack post}.My tires and my jack post are the only things touching the ground when its parked at the house.You put 1-2 ounces of pee in each container and refill them when it evaporates. I hang them about 2 inches off the ground. I was in my camper yesterday and all is clean and no signs of them.I hang the bottles all season long till the ground is frozen. It does not smell good at all when you are under tt. I also have gone underneath and plugged every opening that I could see. I know I have mice around because a few years ago they ate the wires inside my central air unit. Cost me $200 to repair. Everyone will try anything and everything to get rid of these critters. I know someone is saying right now this guy is crazy! So far I have had good luck with this and no mice!. Take a look at predatorpee.com if this will help anyone. I also get my containers also thru this company.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
jdadoug

Bobcat pee

I wonder who holds him down while extracting the pee
jdadoug (thought I would jump on this before you all)

Tags
mice, winter