Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

New Slide Mechanisms

Anyone else not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about their current slide mechanisms? I currently have a crusader 290rlt with three slides all of which have the motors that move the slides mounted in the walls. They move them on two tracks that are attached to each side of the slides. They look like aluminum rails with teeth in the center of them that the drive motors must have gears that mesh with to move the slide in and out. I’m already having problems with one of the slides not coming in evenly, not to mention that I don’t see anyway of manually cranking them in if they fail. What makes me worry is this was the first year (2011) they made them that way and now I see the 2012’s have the old rams on the bottom and the side tracks and motors are gone. Makes me think they had too many problems with the “new and improved “ design and went back to the old tried and true way of moving the slides.

2011 Crusader 290RLT
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Nights camped in '11 - 35
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

They are called "In wall" slide motors. Schwintek In Wall Slide-Out
The 320 has them in the bedroom only, the other two are screw type. They are supposed to be completely service free. If they fail you have to to uplug the unit from the control box. The 320 bedroom slide control box is under the bathroom sink. That will realease the brake and allow you to push the slide in/out by hand. I haven't noticed any issues with ours yet
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62car9 View Post
Anyone else not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about their current slide mechanisms? I currently have a crusader 290rlt with three slides all of which have the motors that move the slides mounted in the walls. They move them on two tracks that are attached to each side of the slides. They look like aluminum rails with teeth in the center of them that the drive motors must have gears that mesh with to move the slide in and out. I’m already having problems with one of the slides not coming in evenly, not to mention that I don’t see anyway of manually cranking them in if they fail. What makes me worry is this was the first year (2011) they made them that way and now I see the 2012’s have the old rams on the bottom and the side tracks and motors are gone. Makes me think they had too many problems with the “new and improved “ design and went back to the old tried and true way of moving the slides.
I had the same problem (slide not moving in/out evenly) before a major failing. Check the slide motor and MAKE SURE the bolts holding the motor to the frame are TIGHT.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #4

So I am assuming from the one post if the slide fails you can push it in by unhooking the control box???

We have a 2012 Wildwood 28BHXL, the slide has rails that sound exactly like what is described (aluminum with teeth down the center) I have yet to find the motor, what appears to be a control box (it lights up when the slide is being operated) is on the floor under the couch. The only confusing thing is the owners manual shows a motor with a sticker to remove to alow access to a bolt to manually crank the slide in but with a generic owners manual I am not convinced that applies to our trailer especially since I have yet to locate the motor.
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcampincpl View Post
So I am assuming from the one post if the slide fails you can push it in by unhooking the control box???

We have a 2012 Wildwood 28BHXL, the slide has rails that sound exactly like what is described (aluminum with teeth down the center) I have yet to find the motor, what appears to be a control box (it lights up when the slide is being operated) is on the floor under the couch. The only confusing thing is the owners manual shows a motor with a sticker to remove to alow access to a bolt to manually crank the slide in but with a generic owners manual I am not convinced that applies to our trailer especially since I have yet to locate the motor.
Give your dealer a call, they'll let you know how to find what you are looking for. When you find out what kind of slide you have, search it out on Google and down load the manual.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcampincpl View Post

Here's the manual:
http://www.lci1.com/OwnersManuals/Sl...t%20System.pdf
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the help!! Hopefully this will be a one and done problem. With the links to the manufacturer and manuals at least I'll have some idea of how things are supposed to work.

Thanks Again!!!

2011 Crusader 290RLT
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Nights camped in '11 - 35
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #8

I have the same on my wardrobe sldie that 62car9 and M109Rrider are talking about, Schwintek In Wall Slide-Out. Mine has operated trouble free so far.

Here's a couple of pics of the slide from the outside so everyone can see the type they're talking about.

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #9

I am having problems with this system also. When I took it in for warranty work I asked them to look at the tracks because at least 2 of them were flaking off metal pieces and the wear marks showed that the driving gear and the driven gear were not meshing properly. Dealer said the adjustment was not correct and will have to replace the tracks and make sure they are in proper adjustment. I suggest you closely inspect the tracks for this problem.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #10

Schwintek Slide Out Systems

These Schwintek Slide Systems do not have a way to push the slide in without bypassing the control module and using power to move slide. other option is to disconnect both motors at top of wall rails, then push in by hand.

best information is on you tube!!!! Search schwintek
RickandPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #11

Schwintek two motor system retaining screw

My Vengeance is brand new but the Schwintek two motor slide out doesn't work. Slide unit is fully in. One motor works and moves but the other motor is dead. Very nice manuals and videos shows that you remove the motor retaining screw and push the motor up and out. One problem. The motor retaining screw is located on the outside and I can not disengage the motor to move the unit out. Unpluging doesn't work. To recap, a stuck dead motor that is frozen and no way to get to the retaining screw because the slide unit won't budge as long as the motor is in place. Anyone had similar problems?
Big M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #12

I believe that you are supposed to unplug the cables/motors from the Schwintek control module and then you can manually move the slide. (I heard you can just disconnect the power and accomplish the same thing.) All of this is rumor.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

Thank you. I did try that and it did not work. If I could just get the unit to slide out, I can get to the retaining screw on the motor. It seems like a well engineered system but major oversight here. The motor comes out from the inside, easy to get to, unplug the motor, lift it up one inch and the motor comes out. However.....the motor is held in place by one screw that is located in the back of the motor and only accessible from the outside. Again, thank you for your reply.
Big M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #14

Howdy Big M~~~ Here's a video that may/should solve your problem. I always take popcorn to the movies......relieves stress. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I visit several forums and it appears that, although not a huge problem (yet ?), there are posts beginning to show up about issues with this system. Harder to deactivate if there is a problem.

Don't understand why builders want to install, I presume a more expensive system, that is more complicated and costly to repair. My old single track bottom of bedroom rack and pinion never gave me a problems. Neither did any of my other slides.

I suspect teething pains will be resolved but it can be frustrating if you are the one with problems,

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #16

I had the same problem on my crusader 260RLD front slide. I had to push the slide out on the side with motor problem while the wife ran slide out switch to gain access to motor. Slide control unit was blinking 8 times indicating a hall sensor feedback problem. It turned out that the slide was rubbing against motor wires and broke one off. I soldered it back on and put a fiberglass sleeve over motor wires to further protect
oldbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I just traded a Rockwood 2703SS that had this slide system. First trip out I had to pull apart the slide motor to get the slide to move out then push the slide out and back in to get it back to the dealer. It never worked righ from the start. the wiring harness was bad, the moulded connectors were faulty. The actual tracks were attached with screws and flat head vs binding head screws. My dealer which has provided excellent service BTW replaced everything in the slide system. The last trip we mad with the trailer before trading (dumping) the trailer I had to push the rear of the slide out to get it to move. The motors do not have enough torque to run a full length slide with the kitchen and sofa. I have seen theses on wardrobe slides and just a table of bed and they work here. My new rig has none of these slides.
Forest River and my Dealer looked after me on the trade to the 8289WS Diamond Edition. I can say they do stand behind the product.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
William

See the following thread on my adventure with the in wall slide motors. I was unable to move the slide by disconnecting the control box. I had to manually disengage the in wall motors.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ues-22439.html
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #19

when we went to pick up our new coach the slide failed, dealer installed higher amp motors and all good. the master slide is the only slide with, the other 3 are hyd

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Maybe it's me only but I just can not believe that the Schwintek system is better or cheaper than the old single rack and pinion system under my old 2007 HR Savoy.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote