Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanes View Post
Thank you! The fine print seems to be reallllly fine. Appreciated!

We bought one on our Crusader

Will not again....more exclusions than what is covered

Does not cover delamination either

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #22

We can't find it either.... thinking this is a NO
Okanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #23

You're going to hear all sides with Extended Warranties...I mean Insurance Policies.

I was never a big believer in them, however I do purchase them on certain items and situations.

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is this:

Can you afford to fix the major components if they break?

Being we purchased new, we were able to purchase the FR warranty for $200, a warranty on the furnace through Suburban for like $40 and a warranty through Dometic for our AC for $150. They're big ticket items that having them covered gives us piece of mind without a big up front cost.

In the situation of the aftermarket warranties, you have a lot to consider. You don't know how well the unit was maintained before. I wouldn't worry so much about the RV itself, but the components and the Cost of Replacement. If you have the ability to replace a $500 AC unit, or a Refrigerator, then I'd skip it. If you can't do that on a whim, you may want to look into the warranty, or one like it.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #24

Thank you!

Overall response is not to go with the plan. We will take the advice as we were hesitant from the beginning.
As a new member to this forum and to rving, I want to thank all of you for your quick replies. It is good to know we can ask questions and receive such generous responses.
Patrick and Lisa
Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #25

Warranty

Welcome to the RV world! Hope you have many great trips, stories, and memories! I bought a $4500, warranty on a Georgetown motorhome, and 5 years later had still not used it! Most repairs you can do yourself if you think about the problem ! Many people on these forums have had the same problem and can walk you thru them! Most people on these forums are very well versed on rv,s and are most helpful! Again welcome!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanes View Post
Overall response is not to go with the plan. We will take the advice as we were hesitant from the beginning.
As a new member to this forum and to rving, I want to thank all of you for your quick replies. It is good to know we can ask questions and receive such generous responses.
Patrick and Lisa
Good for you.
Just remember, the most expensive items would be your fridge and ac unit. Pretty much all the other normal items aren't really that expensive, usually less than any deductable. A new top of the line converter can be had for a bit ober 200 bucks, a new water pump for under a 100 bucks. TV sets, microwaves, fans, ect will cost way less than lets say a 200-250 deductable, and probably less than the yearly "inspection" will cost.
And if your good at routine maintaince, cleaning, and keeping up on fixing little problems, chances are your rig will be trouble free.
Our Lexi is going on 5 years old (2012), and I've never had so much as a blown fuse. An aftermarket warranty, for us, would have been money down the pottie.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #27

Awesome! Thank you!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #28

Some warranties even require you document particular maintenance that you've done, sometimes required as frequently as monthly. I was afraid I'd fail to keep up and then be denied coverage after paying them hundreds of dollars I could have put i the bank instead. Recently I was pleased to find that a local man - with a great reputation - can repair a number of large and small things for me and doesn't charge an arm and a leg, and even coached me and loaned me supplies to do some repairs myself. I vote for local self-sufficiency over a corporate racket.
Arizona
traveling with Famous Peaches, silver tabby cat, child of the Wild
Jean 7752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #29

As a rule I don't buy extended warranties/service on anything. By the time the normal warranty expires the bugs should be worked out. They sell them because it makes them a lot of money.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #30

OKANES, welcome to this forum and the RV life. The first thing you need to know is that travel trailers are not constructed with quality materials or craftsmanship. Second, whatever can break, will break. You will soon learn to know, maintain, and repair your trailer. It really is not that hard. This forum and YouTube are very helpful.

Warranties are cash cows for dealers and manufacturers. They are a license to steal from good, hardworking folks. I am a Texas lawyer, and I couldn't get my RV dealer or Forest River to fix things that broke or malfunctioned within the first three months of ownership.

Some in this forum will beg to differ, but my experience is that it is better to toss loose change into a coffee can repair fund. If needed for repairs, you have the money. If not, you can enjoy a very nice dinner with your significant other. See ya' on the road.
Hector517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #31

Thank you so much. Great thinking
Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #32

Lots of horror stories about aftermarket warrentys..If they make money selling it,you will save money Not buying it.Just pay your local rv repairman to fix stuff.
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #33

I did buy the extended warranty. 7 years for about 10% of the purchase price.

Now the reasons I did...

Some positive input here(more than negative)

Bought from dealer 1000 miles away and felt additional support would be good.

Don't have a bunch of money to buy/replace crappy components. (Mostly fridge, a/c, slide stuff)

They assured me if I wasn't happy I could get a refund prorated less $125

Some pressure from dealer, but I trusted them.

I am sure there are more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #34

First Canadian Protection Plan Warranty is a RIP OFF! – REVIEW
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #35

My luck with warranty work is that items usually start to go bad after the policy has expired. I decided to skip the policy and put the money in the piggy bank knowing I will have repairs at some point.

If you continue to read the forum you will gain a ton of information about most of the problems you will likely encounter, from tires to A/C units and everything in-between. A lot of things can be done yourself and you can get the needed information here on this forum by using the search engine.

Familiarize yourself with your trailer and the particular model numbers of the items your trailer has.

Good luck and enjoy it!
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #36

If you are like me, in Colorado, I have to actually cover my Rockwood Mini Lite with insurance by law. So? I have coverage on the entire trailer and claims with a deductible of course. I also got an extended warranty, but hope to never use it. I'm kinda handy and know a friend that can do anything (your best bet). Hindsite, I'd probably not have paid for an extended warranty, though it wasn't much.

If you look at your ppwk that came with the camper, you'll also notice that each item, microwave, fridge, hot water heater, EVERYTHING, has a separate warranty. Check to see if all of those items are covered too. I mean carte blanche! If one goes down, do they replace it at no deductible or additional cost. Those costs can be significant.

Good luck and have a great time! Just be sure to do a lot of periodic maintenance and checking on all "wearable/vulnerable" parts.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #37

This guys whining had to do with his Jeep (already a problem vehicle) NOT an RV and I'm sure he isn't telling the whole story and by what I've read, he must have been a real PITA to deal with.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #38

First Canadian policy.

https://www.firstcanadian.ca/docs/br...chBrochure.pdf
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #39

Best thing is to take the price of the policy and put it in the bank. Statistics say you'll never touch it. That's what the service contract provider builds his profit analysis upon. If per chance you should need warranty work, you'll have the option to take it where you want, a place where they are motivated to get to your RV. I recently got burned and learned there is not a table of standard hourly charges in the industry like for auto repairs. The contract provider gets to determine how many hours the job takes. If the dealer says it takes twice that amount, you're stuck with the difference.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #40

Thank you! Everyone seems to be saying the same thing. So glad we checked!