Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

New to Us 2011 Tracer 3150BHD

Although a reputable local dealer had a great sale on the 2014 Tracers (including free upgrades), I ended-up purchasing a USED 2011 Tracer 3150 from them (w/ free upgrades from that year) for considerable savings - less than Craigslist, etc. I can do without the front cap, ladder, Lane furniture, etc. for what I saved...

My 2011 looks/smells unused inside & out. I took a flashlight to every hidden corner & access panel and couldn't find evidence of any previous issues. Although there is no warranty on used, the dealership is 5 minutes from work & they take really good care of folks who buy from them - including an uncle & some friends of ours...

Ironically my TV is also a 2011... Last year I found a used 2011 RAM 2500 ST crew cab for less than 14K which also serves as my daily driver. Carrying capacity is 3,000, but tow rating is only 9,100. Therefore I wanted the TT empty weight to be under 7,000 yet have the dual slide bunk house floor plan. Although the Lacrosse has extra storage, I don't want to tow the extra 1,000 lbs... I also looked closely at the Passport 3220 and Bullet Premiere 31BHPR but they did not appear to have the same quality in & out as the Tracer. This is our first TT & we feel we got everything we wanted for a price we could afford...
The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your 2011 Tracer 3150BHD. Nice job doing your homework. Getting everything you want within your budget that you can safely tow is a great way to start!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

You will love your tracer 3150bhd! I did the same as you and found a 2011 3150bhd used last July. My wife and kids love it as do I. They are really well built and great quality. I picked up one of those telescoping ladders off ebay for $85 and it stores flat under the bed, works great when I need to check out the roof or clean off the slides while camping. Enjoy your new toy!
MegaTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

We love our 3150! Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

UPDATE - After spending some time camping in the driveway I've decided to add the following upgrades after Memorial Day weekend. Comments are welcome...

(2) MaxxFan Deluxe/Remotes for Bedrooms
(1) Dynasty Mattress Deluxe & (3) Foam Toppers for Bunks
(4) Majestic Formed Plastics slide-out strips (see slide out/underside wearing thread)

I think my 2011 was stored inside by the previous owner because there were absolutely no signs of previous water penetration when I did a thorough inspection at the dealership. No water stains, nothing... The dealership also did a pressurized test & found/caulked some areas the air was leaking-out here & there.

After several days of VERY heavy rains (causing floods nearby) with the slides both in & out I noticed some dampness in the left corner of the large slide-out. Before purchasing, I knew this was a weak spot of the Primetimes, so I have been checking the slides for wear & leaks daily. I have decided to do a DIY fix & install the Majestic Formed Plastics product on the bottom of the slide-outs. Before adding the strips, I plan to coat the plywood with thinned epoxy to better water-proof the plywood.

Due to the heavy rains I also decided to go with the MaxxAir Deluxe fans because they can operate in the rain & while traveling down the road. (In case we keep our 50 lb. dog in her crate in the TT since it will be tight in our crew cab...) We're also replacing the mattress: #1 it's used & #2 it's very uncomfortable.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Maxx fan delux is excellent for sure. Great upgrade.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

After about 3 trips out we KNEW we had to replace the mattress. Other prime time owners we spoke to did the same. The mattress in our Kodiak was a1000 times better. We order a new mattress at http://www.mattressinsider.com/deluxe-rv-mattress.html WE LOVE IT!

We all did the air max fans.

We also replaced the jack-knife sofa with a custom double recliner.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

UPDATE: The FR forums have helped me to determine what products I wanted to start-out with... Yesterday I installed the DynastyMattress Deluxe 10-Inch Memory Foam Short Mattress, (1 of 2) MaxxAir fans, & an Oxygenics shower head. The mattress was very comfy & just one fan cooled the TT very quickly. The hardest part was removing the old sealant but the 2nd fan should take me half the time... Since my 2011 3150 does not have an external ladder, I also purchased a telescoping ladder (thanks TracerMada) which fits nicely in front of the (4) plastic tubs I use to hold gear in storage compartment. Fortunately I already had some nice foldable plastic picnic tables, benches, and chairs that store under the bed.

I also added some additional safety gear to our TV like a decent First Aid Kit, Emergency Roadside Triangles & updated toolbox that has a few things needed for the TT that I normally do not carry around in my truck...

All I need to do is finalize the method I will use to mount our bikes in the back of the truck & we're good to go for our first longer trip this upcoming week.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #9

UPDATE: We're back home after our 1st camping trip ranging from 1.5 to 3.5 hours from home. We stayed at a private campground & then a state park. We met some wonderful campers & our kids made new friends - we're already making plans to camp next to one of the families next year, so our 1st longer trip was a great success.

Our new-to-us '11 Primetime 3150 worked flawlessly except for a couple loose cabinet/drawer screws that I can easily fix. The DynastyMattress felt more comfy than our mattress at home & the Oxygenics shower head only used 1-2 gallons of water per (fairly brief) shower. Just one MaxxAir fan was so powerful on high that even with the bunk room vent open it sucked-up smells from the black tank... The plan is to put the 2nd one in the bunk room & have them work in push/pull fashion so that doesn't happen... The temps were mostly mild, so I prefer the fan vs. the louder A/C when possible...

Our '11 Ram 2500 ST Crew (tow rating of 9,100 & Equalizer 4) handled the loaded Tracer 3150 beautifully. Both campgrounds are nestled in the hills & there are continual steep inclines & descents in every direction. Although I am new to camping, I have a CDL & have pulled loaded flatbed trailers behind older diesel 1 ton trucks, etc. that did not perform as well as my Ram... I know folks rave about the Ford Ecoboost, but for 1/2 the cost I'm happy with my used Ram/used Tracer combo.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

UPDATE: We have now camped for over 20 days this summer. So far, no major problems with our mildly used TT with the upgrades mentioned in my earlier posts. With our family of 5, I am really glad we have the 8 CF fridge combined with the mini outdoor fridge. We keep the TT plugged-in at home & therefore just keep our food in the fridges between trips...

The weather in OH has been mild this summer so the twin MaxxAir fans working in push/pull work well to keep the temps inside the same as outside even when it's raining & we're cooking inside. They also allow us to keep the windows shut & locked when we are gone. If we leave our dog behind for a couple hours we know she will still have air circulation if the power goes out...

The outdoor kitchen is fantastic & allows me to make a quick meal when we first arrive to the campgrounds. I feel safer towing at 65mph with the Maxxis M8008 tires & TPMS installed vs. the former 4 year-old China Bombs. Although we mostly use the campground facilities for showers, the 48 gallon FW tank & 30/30 gray/black tanks allow our family of 5 to prepare all meals & take about 2 showers each during a 4-5 day trip. I also have a fresh water bladder & Barker waste tank for longer stays w/out full hookup but I haven't had to use them...

The stock '11 Ram 2500 CC ST only has a GCVW of 15,000 & we are real close to that fully loaded with a family of 5, our 5 bikes, wood, etc. However, we are far under our 3,000 TV load capacity & all axle weights on both the TV & TT. The only big change between the 2011 & 2012 RAM ST with a GCVW of 17,000 was a move from the 5 speed to 6 speed transmission. I have the same engine, frame, suspension, brakes, tires, etc. as 3/4 ton Ram's w/higher GCVWs & my tranny is not overheating, so I feel MUCH more comfortable near capacity than driving a 1/2 ton with the same GCVW...

Having lots of fun & making memories. Just wanted to provide an update to folks who are considering purchasing any of the gear we are using... For basically the same price as a new truck with all of the bells & whistles, we have a mildly used 2011 TV AND TT. Can't imagine spending more... but glad we didn't get a lesser setup because we enjoy all of the space & features our TT provides.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

UPDATE: Just uncovered our '11 PT Tracer 3150, flushed the pink stuff, sanitized the FW tank & spent our first weekend in 2015 camping with new friends.... We have now owned our (used) TT for over one year without any problems - except for damaged lug bolts & rim caused by me... So IMO better than those who bought new & had to mess with warranty issues their first year of ownership...

Unfortunately my (also used) '11 Ram 2500's 5.7 Hemi dropped a valve & threw a rod during my daily commute last Fall... Thankfully at 96,000 miles Ram replaced it under their 100K warranty - no hassle - even though the truck was previously commercially owned... Yes, I took a big risk buying a commercially-owned truck but it was the same price as rusty 2006-2007s without warranties. The replacement engine has a new 3 year/100K warranty so I'm very pleased with Ram right now & will likely consider a diesel Ram before our trip out West in a few years...