Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

NHTSA 11363266: 2016 Primetime Crusader slide bracket cutting groove in tire.

The right side rear tire rubs on the slide out flooring and the slide out cross member (including mounting bolts/nuts) and slide out end bracket.

The unit was manufactured with insufficient clearance to prevent tire rubbing. The tire rubbing has caused damage to tires and is destined to instigate catastrophic tire failure while going down the highway.

The clearances are insufficient to prevent contact when he suspension is compressed from normal highway bumps.

I have pictures attached that clearly show three contact points where the tire has rubbed the finish 1- off of the steel members, 2-physically wearing away the nuts and bolts, and 3-is wearing a hole in the slide out flooring in multiple wheel locations.

The end bracket cut a groove in a tire and was luckily noticed prior to catastrophic failure on the highway. It was deemed not repairable by discount tire and thusly replaced.

After installing the OEM spare tire I applied some touch up paint to the rubbing locations we completed one short trip. The paint was once again rubbed off as it makes contact with the tire. This design needs to be recognized as a safety issue and rectified by the manufacturer. I suspect it has caused numerous catastrophic tire failures and initially blamed on the tire manufacturers. OEM tires are towmax power king. I replaced with Goodyear endurance.

Primetime had an identical issue in a 2014 315 model with identical wear points. An NHTSA recall was ordered with a lift kit to be installed that remedied the clearance issues. 2014 prime time 315 NHTSA 14v-140. A recall was ordered and a lift kit installed.

I have contacted the manufacturer in good faith. They say it is outside of the manufacturers 12 month warranty period.

I do not believe a safety issue is excluded from the manufacturers responsibility.

I recommend you check your Primetime crusader for idential rubbing issues. Please reply or contact me with a private message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200731_092121.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	241120   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20200928_152154368.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	241121   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20200928_152221068.jpg
Views:	53