Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #21

Is be curious to know if any other primetime owners with the champagne front cap have seen this oxidation.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #22

I have a white hi gloss camper with brown front cap. Never waxed , only washed and no oxidation to speak of yet. A little over 1 yr old in the New England area.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409678929.406574.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	968.3 KB
ID:	61997

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thunderbird233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
Is be curious to know if any other primetime owners with the champagne front cap have seen this oxidation.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Can you post a few pics of the problem?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #24

Post 1 page 1

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #25

Ooops. Sorry. the post must have come up on page 2 and I did not notice. Thanks.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #26

That happened to one of my cars. It was a chevy van and it had to be repainted. Something has gone wrong at the factory and for whatever reason it did not hold up well. You may need to have that section repainted like I did.

Good luck.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #27

I am also thinking this is a gel coat flaw in some but not all brown caps. Surely we would all be dealing with it if all were defective. So far mine has no oxidation.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #28

Friends had same problem with the cap. Dealership took camper back to have front fixed. it was still covered. No cost and looks great. The paint mix was off on a batch. Lots of luck.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Man that sucks
Noway this should of happened so soon! Well maybe take the $1000 , get a new paint job and to heck with there logo's and decals.
Have custom image put on the cap.

Mine is not the champagne color but is a brown gelcoat cap and it was pretty bad on mine as well.

Mine is now a painted and cleared cap and looks great. I said screw the decals and never had them put on. I do have them however in a tube and the dealer said they were $1900 just for the decals. I am unsure of how much it would cost to paint it as I never did ask because it was a warranty item but $3k seems to me the price they said if it was a non-warranty job.

I do know I am glad I get up on the roof to inspect it at least twice a year as well as inspect the sides when I wash it. I find lots of little areas that need attention and that keeps the "big hog money dog" away!!

Good luck
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #30

Mine started fading at the beginning of the summer. I've seen the brown front faded on other Crusaders so I wash and wax my front pretty regular from the beginning, about 3-4 times a year. I use a quality marine wax. In my opinion I think it's just one of the cut corners of Prime Time. Would be nice if they stood behind their product but I have learned since I bought the Crusader your pretty much "S.O.L."
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #31

Primetime is a Forest River Product. My 18 month old Wildcat has the same problem, the top is so faded it looks 15 years old. I am disgusted. I have been seeing a lot around the internet about this issue with Forest River Campers. Their should be a recall campaign made to re-paint them. This is a factory defect, obviously. If not a class action lawsuit needs to start. The bad PR should hopefully be enough to get them to re-paint them. Too much money to spend on a prodcut that looks this bad already.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #32
Toy-aholic

I agree 100%... I work for Honda and they have had some paint issues on some models and they are stepping up to the plate & repainting even out of the 3/36 war. period. None of this garbage of kicking in a grand toward a repair. Honda stands behind their products & people know that...that's why we sell the hell out of them. FR surely needs to stand behind their products, or the word WILL get out!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #33
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird233 View Post
I have a white hi gloss camper with brown front cap. Never waxed , only washed and no oxidation to speak of yet. A little over 1 yr old in the New England area.Attachment 61997

This cap should be a painted cap by the look of it.
If there are graphics on it under the decal then it is probably painted.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #34
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshield View Post
Primetime is a Forest River Product. My 18 month old Wildcat has the same problem, the top is so faded it looks 15 years old. I am disgusted. I have been seeing a lot around the internet about this issue with Forest River Campers. Their should be a recall campaign made to re-paint them. This is a factory defect, obviously. If not a class action lawsuit needs to start. The bad PR should hopefully be enough to get them to re-paint them. Too much money to spend on a prodcut that looks this bad already.
This is just cosmetic, not safety related so no recall or lawsuit would ever happen.

All the manufactures have had this problem, thats why most are switching to painted caps now.
My neighbor has Cyclone toyhauler that is gray and has an oxidized cap.
And with warranty this is covered, and also Politely and Delicately talking to the ones with the power at the manufactures warranty department may get this issue resolved.
Throwing around "lawsuit" and other terms just reinforces thier "no".

If nicely explaining that you " love your camper so much and want it to look as good as it can so you can show off your wonderful _______(fill in manufacturer name) while you travel the country" , I bet most warranty departments would help out, even if slightly out of warranty!

Good luck to all of you having issues!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #35

It does kinda look like a clear coat problem. If the color isn't bad they might can sand that area and clear the hole area. Assuming it isn't gel-coat. Lots of people clear over decals as I understand.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
.......and also Politely and Delicately talking to the ones with the power at the manufactures warranty department may get this issue resolved. Throwing around "lawsuit" and other terms just reinforces thier "no". If nicely explaining that you " love your camper so much and want it to look as good as it can so you can show off your wonderful _______(fill in manufacturer name) while you travel the country" , I bet most warranty departments would help out, even if slightly out of warranty!
I think you hit the nail on the head MillerTime. And I might add that anyone that doubts Forest River stands behind their product never attended the Goshen rally where hundreds of OUT OF WARRANTY RV's were repaired. Or had an opportunity to talk with their service personnel who sincerely wanted to make things right for a happy customer. Or listened to sincere presentations from their executives. Or in my case was fortunate to meet with 2 high level Quality Assurance managers and listen to the processes that they implement to attain continuous improvement.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #37
Toy-aholic

Well to me standing behind a product means just that...REPAIR a flaw, not just kicking in 1/3 of the cost to do so. If my trailer was 4 or 5 years old & I neglected it I would not expect FR to do anything. Fact of the matter is I DID keep up with wax etc & it's only 17 mo. old.
I've repaired numerous little things in & around this trailer that I consider no big deal.....premature oxidation on a gelcoat finish IS a big deal.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
Well to me standing behind a product means just that...REPAIR a flaw, not just kicking in 1/3 of the cost to do so. If my trailer was 4 or 5 years old & I neglected it I would not expect FR to do anything. Fact of the matter is I DID keep up with wax etc & it's only 17 mo. old.
I've repaired numerous little things in & around this trailer that I consider no big deal.....premature oxidation on a gelcoat finish IS a big deal.
Take it to the Goshen rally where hundreds of OUT OF WARRANTY RV's were repaired. If ya can wait that long..
Makes me wonder why fr cant show that same great Goshen service to those of us who can't make the ralley

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #39
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
Agreed.
Have you asked around in other areas or other shops to find a cost?
I see no reason why the $1,000 wouldnt cover the whole job.
And in my opinion this IS FR stepping up. They could have said no to anything if not under warranty. So the $1,000 is an awsome gesture I think.
The dealer needs to find another sub to do their work if they can't get a single color, solid color, base/clear paint job on a 5er nose for that price. Heck once I get my new shop building up, I'd do 3 or 4 of them a day. But thats the bad part, most shops that could do it, can't get them in the door.
I would call primetime directly and ask them to find someone who could take care of this or another shop that could do it in their price range.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Never waxed my Rockwood. I use a Camcorder Wash/Wax washing it after every trip, looks like new.
Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper