RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #1

Power washer for TPM roof?

The RV Geeks use an electric power washer for their fiberglass roof. I'm guessing that's not such a good idea for TPM?
PoppaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #2

If you use the pressure washer correctly it is not an issue. It can be a problem if you use it full force. The RV cleaning services here use them all the time on all types of RV roofs. (Not alone they use brushes then rinse with a pressure washer)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #3

Electric power washers do not have nearly the power of the gasoline engine type. Much also has to do with the specific wand nozzle AND how close you are to the surface with the wand. The operator has most of the control to use the pressure washer correctly on different surfaces.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaT View Post
The RV Geeks use an electric power washer for their fiberglass roof. I'm guessing that's not such a good idea for TPM?
The cleaning product you use is equally important to the method. You don't want to use petroleum product on that roof. If you're referring to a 'rubber type' roof, you might want to consider the Original Murphy's Oil Soap that was recommended by our tt manufacturers. It cleans and 'feeds' the roof.
Equally important is making certain that all the seams are sealed and tight before you start washing and doubly important if you're going to pressure wash it.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #5

My roof is a TPO roof and it's recommended that pressure washer's not be used. Apparently it can cause bubbles to form where the membrane is dislodged from it's bond to the underlayment. I imagine that the force can cause movement in the membrane and I do know that it's not all that well bonded to begin with.

I just use the same brush I wash the sides with some Dawn or Simple Green. Then rinse with the regular hose and nozzle. Dried bird crap, etc gets a little scrub with a plastic pot scrubber, one of the "wad of plastic strings" type.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

I used a pressure washer once, blew through a seal and damaged an interior wall, I woul not use pressure washer ever again, find a good cleaning solution.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #7

I do the 38' roof of the Cherokee with a pressure washer every year. It's one of those commodity electrics, claimed 1900 psi. I usually use the wand with a moderate fanout which reduces the pressure somewhat. The Cherokee has an EPDM roof.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #8

It is not necessary to use a power washer and i would not. If you clean your roof at least once a year with a mild detergent, dawn or simple green as mentioned in another reply, scrub it clean and rinse with a garden hose, that will do the job just fine. Key is to keep on top of it and to do it regularly. I also will apply a product called aerospace 303 after it is cleaned and dry, a day later. It puts a protective coating over the whole roof, protects from uv breakdown,sap , ect. and also helps keep the roof cleaner until the next time. I do this process at least once per year!
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
Tundra 2014

Roof

X2-kholmes
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #10

Aerospace 303

I was about to reach that conclusion myself. Ordered a gallon of the stuff yesterday on goldeneagle.com

20% off for Cyber Monday. Woohoo!

Thanks!
PoppaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, roof, tpm