Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

Prime Time not honoring their advertising

I recently went and looked at a 2019 Crusader 297RSK and was given a 2020 brochure. We really liked the floor plan and liked the new features on the 2020's. We searched and found a 2020 297RSK in Texas and put down a deposit. We picked up the trailer 8/31 and while doing the walk thru I asked about the TPMS system that's indicated in the brochure. The salesmen did not have a clue and told me to contact Forest River, who in turn sent me to Prime Time. The 1st rep told me my trailer was built in June of 19 and they did not start putting the TPMS in until September of 19, sorry but you do not get the TPMS system. I asked for her supervisor who originally told me I was looking at a 2021 brochure not a 2020. I went back and looked and it was a 2020 brochure and called Her (Sarah) back and told her the link. She then told me that there brochure has a disclaimer on the back that gets them off the hook (BS). I asked to speak to her supervisor and am still waiting for a call. My bad for not looking closer before buying, but this feels like false advertising to me. Anyone else come across this type of issue?
Old 09-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #2

Manufacturers seem to change the model year designation of the RV in summer, but don’t actually build to the new model year specs until later, like September. I have no idea why they play this game. Buyer beware. If you buy sight unseen, you take the risk.

The brochure disclaimer gets the manufacturer off the hook for discrepancies between the brochure and the actual product, and puts the burden on the buyer to confirm they are getting what they think they’re buying:

“All information contained in this brochure is believed to be accurate at the time of publication. However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc., reserves the right to make all such changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models shown in this brochure. Therefore, please consult with your Forest River, Inc., dealer and confirm the existence of any materials, design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision.
©2019 Prime Time Manufacturing, a Division Of Forest River, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway Company”
Old 09-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

Thumbs down

Yes, I read the disclaimer and take it to mean that they may make changes across the board on a model, not on one unit. Live and learn. I am very disappointed that Forest River is taking this position. This is my 2nd Forest River RV purchase and will think long and hard before there's a 3rd. Not that they seem to care, they are having one of their best years ever....
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

IMO...

I would think that you may also have a beef with the salesman and RV dealer for not pointing out there was NO TPMS on that unit. It might have taken him a little time to figure out what the RV actually came with, but is not that a salesman's job? He could have also pointed out that sometimes the brochures are not correct as the disclaimer on the back implies. I always find that through just doing a little research I typically know more than the salesman does.

I think this type of thing happens all the time. That does not make you happy of course, but hopefully you have learned your lesson to hold the seller/dealer to task to be knowledgeable as to what exactly they are selling you for the tens of thousands of dollars they are asking for.

You can obviously pick up many brands of TPMS for $100 and up... I personally will tell you I love my TST-507 TPMS unit but it does cost more.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

I wouldn't get so upset. This happens all the time. They aren't going to give you a TPS and because of their disclaimer they don't have to. If it's any consolation, they don't always work very well anyway. I have 2 different systems sitting in a drawer somewhere that I got tired of messing with. Move on and enjoy your RV.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

I know it sucks to feel like you've been taken advantage of in some way, but really it's 100% up to you, the buyer, to ensure the product you're buying comes with all the standard features and options you're wanting. What's interesting is that they show a picture of the TPMS but it's literally mentioned nowhere else, either as standard or an option.

Regardless, it's a TST tire pressure monitoring system that costs about $350. It shouldn't be a big enough deal that the dealer or Prime Time would fight just giving it to you, on the flip side is a $350 aftermarket accessory worth getting that worked up over?

Caveat emptor.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
PhD, Common Sense

Don’t let any off-hand comments turn you off to a TPMS. If you do not get the TPMS from the dealer, I recommend you purchase one. You will find that most people are very happy with their TPMSs and that the systems work just fine.

You will even read a few stories where a TPMS saved an RVers bacon (or would have, had they had one).
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #8

I love my TST 507....you should just bite the bullet and buy one. I also, after some time, realized I needed the signal booster, which I bought. My system works very well now.....no freezes, or lock ups. It's mounted in my basement and I power it directly off the battery.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Don’t let any off-hand comments turn you off to a TPMS. If you do not get the TPMS from the dealer, I recommend you purchase one. You will find that most people are very happy with their TPMSs and that the systems work just fine.
You will even read a few stories where a TPMS saved an RVers bacon (or would have, had they had one).
Yeah a remark like "they don't always work very well anyway" is anecdotal at best. TPMS is one of the most essential systems for an RV, IMHO.. A decent one will alert you of low air, and driving on a very low tire will ruin it and require replacement. This is especially critical on Class A's with those huge expensive tries. But besides ruining your tire and it can ruin your day, your trip, even your life. Low air tires are prone to blowout if not caught quickly and a blowout can quickly end your trip, especially large hi pressure tires that can blow out your entire wheel well. Don't leave home without one!

On my Forester Class C I went with a Dill Air controls 1506-453 Trailer TPMS System With 6 Sensors -- for $382

It worked better with the stainless steel wheel inserts than an external one... As it happens I have a Hawkshead Talon Tire Pressure Monitoring System with valve stem flow thru sensors I'll sell cheap... Msg me if interested.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #10

That blows big time... Might we suggest the TST 507 system from Truck System Technologies..
Maybe the dealer will step up and purchase that unit for you or at the very least let you have it for their cost..

Don't let this get you down and disgusted with RV'ing, it's such a great way to enjoy life.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgolfb4 View Post
I recently went and looked at a 2019 Crusader 297RSK and was given a 2020 brochure. We really liked the floor plan and liked the new features on the 2020's. We searched and found a 2020 297RSK in Texas and put down a deposit. We picked up the trailer 8/31 and while doing the walk thru I asked about the TPMS system that's indicated in the brochure. The salesmen did not have a clue and told me to contact Forest River, who in turn sent me to Prime Time. The 1st rep told me my trailer was built in June of 19 and they did not start putting the TPMS in until September of 19, sorry but you do not get the TPMS system. I asked for her supervisor who originally told me I was looking at a 2021 brochure not a 2020. I went back and looked and it was a 2020 brochure and called Her (Sarah) back and told her the link. She then told me that there brochure has a disclaimer on the back that gets them off the hook (BS). I asked to speak to her supervisor and am still waiting for a call. My bad for not looking closer before buying, but this feels like false advertising to me. Anyone else come across this type of issue?

Nothing you can do the cover their butts . disclaimer does get them off the hook . I got an extra yr warranty so 2 yr manufacture warranty because the listed furnace size for my unit a surburban was 20,000 btu but on checking the unit it was 19,000 now they tried to use the disclaimer saying it was switched to 19,000 btu but i got them red handed when i pointed out the surburban does not even make a 20,000 btu furnace so they agreed to the extra yr warranty and to get their advertising corrected which they did
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #12

In spite of what has been said by the dealer or FR I'd do exactly what you doing keep fighting it up the ranks because you never know what they may do for you. By chance have you checked a similar new one sitting in a lot to see if it has them on it? That might help if you find one that had them take a few pictures. But in the end if all else fails its obvious you understand the importance them so after all said and done go pick up a set and enjoy your new rig. Let us know what happens in the end. Thanks.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
Back On The Go

You can keep working your dealer for a good will TPMS or at least meet you half way on the purchase of one as they are a good safety device to have, in my opinion and from what I have experienced. I had an undersized air conditioner put on a trailer I was going to purchase, and the same thing happened. It's pretty much impossible to catch everything.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #14

If that’s your only complaint just jump up and down and be happy to buy. Tst 507! In time you will have bigger problems.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #15

You are not alone when it comes to getting lied to by salespersons. In the model we looked at in the showroom, it had a BBQ grill and stand that was included with the RV purchase. When we picked up the RV, I asked about the grill and stand. Told it came with the previous year, but not this current year. (Showroom and unit bought was same year and model) If so, why was I told it was included in this model and had it boxed under the table? Told also the generator was run by propane. Found out later it was gasoline. Had other promise small things would be fixed and never were. Again, as I have said in previous posts, these RV sales persons lie and are sleazier than any car used salesperson you can imagine. I'm a trusting person because I've never had been exposed to such dishonest people.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
If In time you will have bigger problems.

Love that line! So true :-)
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
You are not alone when it comes to getting lied to by salespersons. In the model we looked at in the showroom, it had a BBQ grill and stand that was included with the RV purchase. When we picked up the RV, I asked about the grill and stand. Told it came with the previous year, but not this current year. (Showroom and unit bought was same year and model) If so, why was I told it was included in this model and had it boxed under the table? Told also the generator was run by propane. Found out later it was gasoline. Had other promise small things would be fixed and never were. Again, as I have said in previous posts, these RV sales persons lie and are sleazier than any car used salesperson you can imagine. I'm a trusting person because I've never had been exposed to such dishonest people.

Tough lesson to learn, but if it’s not in writing then you have to assume it’s not included or a lie. Always ensure the contract lists specifics, even if they’re “standard”, so there is no doubt about what you will be getting.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #18

Changes in Sept are very common at FR.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #19

Not honoring brochure

We learned that lesson from an honest dealer and a different mfg. The dlr. gave us the mfgs. phone no. so we could take directly with their sales. The mfg. salesperson told us the brochure we were looking at would be in production in 4 weeks. The dlr. called the mfg. confirmed the RV we wanted would be delayed 4 weeks to get what we wanted (got a incentive bonus auto leveling). One happy camper!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgolfb4 View Post
A friend caught JAYCO like that, over Bilstein shocks advertised as part of JAYRide package. He ordered the package and got Monroe's. He was persistent to the point of obnoxious, I bet, and by golly, the dealer installed the Bilstein shocks.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prime time