Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Grayfox you make valid point. That is why I really do not trust the GPS. But in defense I will say this that when they repave a road they require that the road be planed down to the new depth of the overlay. Any highway that is being repaved has those nasty groves in them I'm sure you went over them in your travels. You are talking inches not feet....... Their is an over pass at 12' in Durham NC, and every week a truck rips it's top off or gets stuck under it, that problem is caused by the sign being posted about 20' before. You would think that the NCDOT would understand that.........
My son is a Maintenance engineer for the MDOT and sometimes, some not all, of these private contractors fudge and don't mill out ALL of the Old roadway. Yep, I think were in agreement we have to be ever vigilant on the road and question things when they don't seem right.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #22

I've got to say, it seems unlikely that repaving changed the road surface height by 15 inches (0.4m) or more. (Of course, we don't know what the Garmin database had in it for this bridge, if anything!)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Their is a POI out their called Clearances and low bridges. You load it on your GPS, you can set the lowest height that you can go under. It will give you a 2 mile warning if that tunnel or overpass is lower on your route.
I believe the POI is "Route1 Low Clearance" and it will give a warning as far out as 200,000ft or approx. 38 miles.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #24

Are you guys suggesting that the Garmin 760 dezl doesn't provide low-clearance warnings unless this "app/database" has been installed?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I've got to say, it seems unlikely that repaving changed the road surface height by 15 inches (0.4m) or more. (Of course, we don't know what the Garmin database had in it for this bridge, if anything!)
Not trying to be argumentative . My point is things can change sometimes without notice or delayed notice after the fact for what ever reason. Signs, GPS units and the like are not always completely accurate . Fifteen inches... WOW... would be a huge mistake or error. It only takes a small mistake to cause alot of heartburn and damage. Hope this clarifies. I think were on the same page.

Rick
Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Are you guys suggesting that the Garmin 760 dezl doesn't provide low-clearance warnings unless this "app/database" has been installed?
Barry to be honest I really don't know, I don't have one. Just a guess, I think Garmin website may have that info for you... good question tho

I know I'll be purchasing one as soon as the prices come down. My Crusader is 12' 8" at the highest point, clearances worry me as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You know, heres the other question. How often are these software programs updated by the software manufacture ? I don't know the answer. The answer could be helpful as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
You know, heres the other question. How often are these software programs updated by the software manufacture ? I don't know the answer. The answer could be helpful as well.
grayfox, what I do know is that i bought a garmin 2460LTM, about maybe 8mos. ago I have updated it 3 times already free. Garmin will send a notice everytime they have an updated map to install, but I really do not know what they up date. I bought the extra POI from low clearances as was stated by OC. It has all the over passes and tunnels in the USA. It cost I think around 15.00. I loaded that to my SD card. Now it will tell me 2 miles ahead if the height that I put in 13' is less. I get a sound and warning and it shows on your route. Do I trust it NO, but that is just a GPS. Things change daily. Like I said before I do not trust it, so I'm very careful, I even call the DOT of a state that I go through to check my routes also......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
grayfox, what I do know is that i bought a garmin 2460LTM, about maybe 8mos. ago I have updated it 3 times already free. Garmin will send a notice everytime they have an updated map to install, but I really do not know what they up date. I bought the extra POI from low clearances as was stated by OC. It has all the over passes and tunnels in the USA. It cost I think around 15.00. I loaded that to my SD card. Now it will tell me 2 miles ahead if the height that I put in 13' is less. I get a sound and warning and it shows on your route. Do I trust it NO, but that is just a GPS. Things change daily. Like I said before I do not trust it, so I'm very careful, I even call the DOT of a state that I go through to check my routes also......
Absolutely agree with Low Clearances app and double checking ahead
Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

POI "Route1 Low Clearance" can be set to provide a warning from 1/4 mile to as far out as 38 miles. You tell it what warning distance you want as well the minimum clearance you desire. It is always wise to contact the state DOT for additional information.

Remember, it is a GPS and is subject to errors as gljurczyk noted.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #31

Robert (rlev), I'm curious to know if you ever had any feedback from Garmin as to how their GPS missed that low clearance. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #32

Low clearance with Garmin DEZL

I found out that they don't have that many low clearance point in the database of the Garmin DEZL for Canada. Even in the USA, the list is rather incomplete. On a recent trip without my FW in Vermont, I could see a few low clearance that did not came out on the DEZL. I bought a one year subscription from http://www.lowclearances.com/
It is inexpensive and it does a good job. Not for Canada but I will live with that for the moment. From now on, everytime I see a low clearance in Canada, I add it to the database I bought from Low clearance and who knows, maybe some day I will post it at the POI factory. hope that helps
rlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #33

We have had frame issues with our 2012 Sanibel 3500. We have been dealing with Roger at Prime Time also for the past 18 months. We noticed our problem on our first trip. After 6 weeks at our dealers for repairs we towed it from Virginia to Florida. Half way there the pieces started coming off and all the screws on the bedroom slide we're falling off. Of course we called roger who assured us he would have someone come to our site in Florida to look at it. The next day he said he couldn't make that happen and told us to take it to the dealer when we got home. We explained the severity of the issue and sent pics. We felt it was too extensive for the dealer to handle and asked them to come and get it and take it to Indiana for repairs. ( of course we asked for a replacement unit since this was the second break but they refused). They also refused to send someone to get it so we had to drive it ourselves to Indiana in February! They had our unit for 3 days and assured us that there was no way it could possible break again. They added more metal supports etc etc. said they have done this repair many times and never had one break again. We'll guess what? Next trip out it broke again. This was the final straw for us. We asked again for a replacement unit but roger said that's not happen and told us to take it the dealer for an assessment . We'll we did that. Our dealer told them they needed to get us a new unit. It can't be fixed. Prime time refuses to replace it or extend the warranty. They will only attempt to fix it again in Indiana. We considered fixing it and trading it in and just cutting our losses but we have had 5 dealers refuse to take it as a trade. Even our dealer told prime time the only way they would take this unit is if they fix it and give them a new 2 year warranty. So out of extreme frustration we have had to get an attorney and are filling a law suit.
Kepling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What exactly was the problem... pictures please, if possible .
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #35

We had the same problem when we hooked up and put the weight on the tongue of the camper we had wall separation on the bedroom slide side. The aluminum wall stud welds broke. I am going to upload the pics
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #36

First Time we noticed the frame issue

These Pictures were taken prior to the repair the first time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-25_18-28-45_908.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	44523   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-24_17-29-07_52 (1).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	44524   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-22_09-35-52_505 (1).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	44525   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-07_14-24-30_655 (1).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	44526  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks Kepling,
Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #38

Sanibel 3600

I purchased a Sanibel 3600 in August 2013 and we noticed this flexing problem a few months later. We took the RV to our dealer (Millican RV, Cullman, AL) and they contacted Prime. After a discussion with Prime, they said they would have to pick up the RV and take it back to their factory in Indiana. The earliest they could schedule the work was mid-January. This was late October and Prime said we could still use the RV but we decided to postpone our trip to Florida until the work was done so hopefully our RV will be returned this month. We like this RV but had concerns about some issues. To date we had to replace both doors (interior and exterior) and one of the air conditioners. There was also a lot of rust on the exterior bottom and inside some of the compartments???? Kind of wonder what is happening in the areas I cannot see?
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #39

dgonzo I am sorry you are having the issues with your 3600. We also loved our Rv! That is why this is so hard for us to have to replace it. Ours was repaired twice and broke a third time. We had small issues with ours such as The heater vent in the bedroom making a terrible popping sound when we stepped on the bedroom floor, cable wire in wall not connected properly, two of the light over the kitchen sink had the rods come apart, cabinets opening in route, sofa bed mattress had a leak and the sofa bed was tilted when pulled out for the bed, the recliner keeps locking up when rocked, rear stabilizer motor had to be replaced. But we are not new to rving so we didn't worry about the small stuff but the frame flexing that's serious to us. We were told by prime time that only the people who tow their vehicles a lot have this problem. If you tow it 500 miles and park it for 6 months you won't have a problem. Well that's not we what we bought ours for. The rust under your unit could be from when it was driven from the factory to your dealer . We never had any rust under ours until we got back from the repairs in Indiana in February . It came from the stuff they put on the roads for the snow. We had it under our tow vehicle too. The hubby is not happy! You may have more rust if it is there now for repairs. We also have had to give up our Florida trip. We were to leave on the 11th for 8 weeks now we are stuck in the cold.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #40

I just picked my '12 3500 Sanibel up from the dealer today after it was returned from the PT site in Indiana after they repaired my frame issues. Have to say that Dan Collins & Kent Roberts of PT and Ron Green of Recreation Specialties were a pleasure to work with and very accommodating.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote