Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Pulling a Swivel wheel trailer

Looking for anyone who has installed a Swivel wheel trailer to a fifth wheel, and any problems of sway or bumper load. Looking for comments.
Wbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbowman View Post
Looking for anyone who has installed a Swivel wheel trailer to a fifth wheel, and any problems of sway or bumper load. Looking for comments.

Thought about doing that exact thing. Started researching swivel wheels and also found out a lot of states don't allow that type of setup. They consider it "double trailering".
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

Guy camping next to us has one. Uses it for his golf cart. Has had it two years and up /down the east coast with zero issues he says. If your state is like mine (VA) and doesn't allow double trailers the law on these is very vague. The manufacturer does not consider it a trailer. Since it does not hinge or pivot left or right they consider it an extension with a support wheel of what ever its connected to. I see one of these with a golf cart connected to my trailer in the near future.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #4

I also live in Virginia and researched this same topic with the same results. Seems that interpretation is up to the officer who might stop you. I live fairly close to Rt. 17, now a major 95 bypass. I've seen many 5th wheels with a second trailer attached (double triple?) as well as the wheeled platforms runing through our state. I considered the double triple setup before buying a toyhauler. I wanted the full living space in a 5th wheel but still be able to haul several dirt bikes and 4-wheelers. Virginia law is too vague on that subject and I've heard it may change to allow double triple configurations. Of course backing up is then impossible so the wheeled platform might be a better choice.
RONXS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #5

Thanks for your replys
Wbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Site Team

I'm also interested for same reasons.
Don't want a toy hauler but want to haul my toy!

I've been thinking about downsizing my motorcycle just
so we could haul it possibly inside a non toy hauler.
I was thinking if I got a 5th wheel with a 30 wide door I could maybe
ramp a smaller 250CC size bike into the living room.
I could install flush mount cargo points and easily strap
it in place. I was dreaming this would work for not a lot of money
and it would allow us to have a 2 wheeler and a 5th wheel at the same time.

I mentioned it to my wife and she got "that look" on her face and said NO!
I don't want a motorcycle in MY trailer!!!!!!!!

Darn...... then we saw a swivel wheel at a rest stop in June.
It's a very real possibility but those puppies are expensive!!
The one they recommend to haul my motorcycle costs as much as
my motorcycle is worth!!

Boy this RVing stuff can sure get pricey in a hurry

Here's a link to one swivel wheel maker.
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Huh that's interesting!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #8

Folks,
Not sure where you are getting your towing information from but the only states than do not allow Tandem towing are South Carolina, and Mississippi, and generally they will not ticket you unless you are tagged as a resident of their state, due to reciprocity with the other states. Virginia does not allow triples as well a lot of other states. When you look up the laws the combined length is the limiting factor and it applies only to the trailers not the TV. Which is the mistake most people make when reading the tables and the laws, they add the TV and TT together to get the combined length but that is not how it works, combined length is Tandem combine length, and Virginia is 65 feet, with neither individual trailer over 45 feet..
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02...ouble-tow.html

By reading the above article, I believe the term "triple tow" is where some confusion is.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #10

I too have been studying the virtues of the swivel wheel trailers. I got rid of a toy hauler to get the Sanibel 3500. It has a 300 lb tongue weight/ 3000 lb tow weight rating on the factory installed hitch. I am worried that I might crowd the 300 lb tongue weight with the swivel wheel style. Looks like they might have changed the hitch setup on the 2013 models....I don't know if they will be rated more or less.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #11

This would mean adding a class 3 hitch to the bumper,but also verifying that the rv Structure is capable correct? I have 2012 365 saq and really want to pursue the swivel adapter.
robertc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #12

I actually built a swivelwheel carrier for the triple tow problem to carry 2 dual sport motorcycles. The standard short jeep caused swaying but it worked great with other vehicles and you are right they are way over priced. That's why I built it. I spent about $700 on it.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #13

So I'm still confused by what Camper Lucy says and agree with M109Rrider about understanding the terms used. Tandem towing, triples, and double triples. What is tandem towing? One TV and two TTs? (One TV with a fifth wheel and another tag along behind that)? One TV, one tag along, and another behind that? I suppose once we understand the jargon we'll understand the regulations.
RONXS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
This would mean adding a class 3 hitch to the bumper,but also verifying that the rv Structure is capable correct? I have 2012 365 saq and really want to pursue the swivel adapter.
Not to the bumper - it has to be fabricated/welded to the FRAME.

The general word on forums (I haven't researched it directly) is that most manufacturers would void a warranty for it. Though, I've never asked nor heard it out of the horse's mouth.

Finally, with a 365saq + whatever you're towing it with - you're more likely going to be concerned with maximum tow lengths wherever you are. I have a similar floorplan in my Sabre and with my crew cab/long bed truck, I'm 58 1/2' long from bumper to bumper when hitched.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #15

By pulling an additional trailer or extension has anyone known of problems associated with putting the extra weight on the back of the TT? I too want to tow a second trailer or swivel wheel with my motorcycle. Can the frame warp enough to hinder the slide-out from working properly? Does anyone know who sells the swivel wheel by itself? I tow a 30' Montana Mountaineer TT with a Dodge 3500 Dually. Gary
garyacasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #16

This is the only place I found that would sell the swivel wheel assembly by itself but they never responded to my e-mails so I designed and built my own.
Double Hitch Company
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyacasteel View Post
By pulling an additional trailer or extension has anyone known of problems associated with putting the extra weight on the back of the TT? I too want to tow a second trailer or swivel wheel with my motorcycle. Can the frame warp enough to hinder the slide-out from working properly? Does anyone know who sells the swivel wheel by itself? I tow a 30' Montana Mountaineer TT with a Dodge 3500 Dually. Gary
Towing behind a Fifth Wheel is a problem. They just have too much overhang behind the axle assemblies to support much tongue weight. Unlike motorhomes that have wheel assemblies at the rear of the frame. No manufacturer of Fifth Wheels is going to tell you much about how to go about towing something behind one of their rigs because of liabilities.

We sold our Montana 347 THT ( motorcycle in the rear ) and bought a 2012 Sanibel 3500. The 2012 Sanibel came equipped with a 2" reciever rated at 300 lbs tongue weight and 3000 lbs total towing weight. The 2013 models went away from that and have a 1 1/4" very light duty reciever. Not sure if they had problems? At any rate one of the reasons I bought the Sanibel was the 12" frame. Many Fifth Wheels only have the 10" frame and there is a considerable difference in stiffness between them. While I could easily tow a trailer behind me, at 39' I don't want to add 10' to that! So, I plan to get one of the swivel wheel trailers. Actually bought a new motorcycle, one of the reasons was to stay under the tongue weight limit. About half the total weight of trailer/cargo will be on the tongue. That easy to overlook on the swivel wheel setups. Probably be a couple months before I tow with it, I'll let everyone know what I think.

While I am very comfortable fabricating about anything, I intend to buy a "factory" swivel wheel setup. Just want the piece of mind that goes with them working all the bugs out of the system.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #18

Swivelwheel

I contacted the company that sells the Swivelwheel 58 Transport System, but they told me they would not sell me one because of the liability associated with adding extra weight on the back of a travel trailer. The rep had some horror stories to tell me about the weight causing the hitch to come off the bumper, flipping over in the highway, and injurying a family. I've since decided to purchase a Leer 122 truck cap and a Big Boy aluminum ramp and ride the motorcycle into the back of the truck. I'll miss the extra storage I had in the truck bed. Thanks for the quick reply.

Gary
garyacasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #19

Not Forest River, but the Redwood 38BR fiver has a "storage room" with an outside door at the back that shows a washer/dryer side by side across the end, so has to be at least 4 feet. Might fit a golf cart or motorcycle!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #20

Smile Swivelwheel Towing

We recently purchased a Swivel Wheel platform for our fifth wheel Silverback. Have been totally satisfied with it. Watch loading procedure to keep the weight spread out fairly even and from a towing standpoint, you don't even knbow it's back there. Even Backing up! I highly recommend these to anyone trying to find an alternate to the toy hauler. We have pulled it about 2500 miles through varied terrain and have not had a single issue.

Installation really is easy for any welder or trailer shop. I would recommend the rear view camera just to keep an eye on it.

Currently have about 800lbs in tools and equipment on mine no problem. We are full timers but travel A LOT and boondock whenever we can. Anyplace we can get the Silverback the swivel wheel goes no problem. We are hunters and keep a freezer with our game meat in it on there also and use a small Honda generator when we are boondocking. The swivel wheel makes a great place for the generator and freezer.
srennick is offline   Reply With Quote