Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Question about black/gray drains.

I have 3 tanks, one outlet: galley Grey, bathroom Grey, and black. The Galley works as I thought it should, pull the handle and it drains out but the bathroom Grey and black are piped together. I understand wanting the ability to put Grey water in the black tank to increase Grey capacity and help flush the black tank. However, I cannot dump my bathroom Grey without dumping the black. If I pull the bathroom handle and the black tank is shut the Grey only flows into the black. I have to pull the black tank handle (and empty the black tank) to empty that Grey tank. This is all fine and dandy in a full hookup CG but the situation may arise where I do not want to empty the black...like when I'm using my portable tank in a CG without full hook ups. Is this the way it's supposed to work or should I be able to dump the Grey tank without dumping black.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member

This definitely does not sound right. I just sent you a Private Message.

Thanks!

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
This definitely does not sound right. I just sent you a Private Message.

Thanks!

PTM

Maybe you should share the proper setup. I had a similar issue with another brand camper. I am not sure yet what the setup in my new camper is, but I will be looking for this.
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Commercial Member

On the Crusader, the Bath Gray and Bath Black should not be plumbed together. I can't speak for other brands or manufacturers.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Incoming....at thanks for the speedy reply!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can have as many tanks as you want all piped to a common outlet/sewer connection, but each tank has to have it's own valve...can't be any other way!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

I have a galley, grey, and black. One outlet, only two valves. The one valve empties the black, the other valve empties the galley and grey.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

I've seen kits that re-plumb grey to black. At first I figured my trailer came like this. Guess that's not the case and someone will be in touch with me tomorrow.....How's that for service?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorot8 View Post
I have a galley, grey, and black. One outlet, only two valves. The one valve empties the black, the other valve empties the galley and grey.
Same here on my 303 RKS. Not sure how that is supposed to work (one handle for both galley and grey tanks). Since the underbelly is enclosed I can't see how the handle works. If there is no "valve" on the galley tank, does the water flow into the grey tank until ready to dump? I don't think so because both tanks' level sensors will show some level of fulness.
I do know this......It takes a very long time for the galley/grey tanks to empty. I have gotten a steady trickle for about 10 minutes. When your at a dump station with other people waiting, that seems a bit too long to get the tanks empty.

Maybe RVGUY can shed some light on this...... RVGUY, can you post a schematic of the underbelly layout so we can all understand how the drain/valve system works?

Thanks,
Rick
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Same here on my 303 RKS. Not sure how that is supposed to work (one handle for both galley and grey tanks). Since the underbelly is enclosed I can't see how the handle works. If there is no "valve" on the galley tank, does the water flow into the grey tank until ready to dump? I don't think so because both tanks' level sensors will show some level of fulness.
I do know this......It takes a very long time for the galley/grey tanks to empty. I have gotten a steady trickle for about 10 minutes. When your at a dump station with other people waiting, that seems a bit too long to get the tanks empty.

Maybe RVGUY can shed some light on this...... RVGUY, can you post a schematic of the underbelly layout so we can all understand how the drain/valve system works?

Thanks,
Rick
X2
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #11

In my opinion there should be no reason for a grey tank to be connected to a black tank ever. My 2 grey tanks each have their own valve and the only time they cross paths is at the dump outlet, Black is completly seperate but obviously ties in at the outlet. That seems to be a little bit of a screw up. There are times when we are at one place for 4 to 5 days with no hook ups, sometimes we have to let the grey water trickle out to make room, I would be very unhappy if I couldn't do this because it was connected to my black.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Every floorplan and brand is different so this is going to get confusing. However, on the 303 LaCrosse example above (only the 303 LaCrosse above) the kitchen and bath grey tanks are plumbed together ahead of a single dump valve (not termination) which allows these two tanks to equalize together. Thus, there are only two valves - one for black and one for BOTH greys - on this model.

The 303 is a rear kitchen so the galley tank is a LONG ways from the termination. The slope of the drain line is minimal so it's not uncommon for the galley tank to take a while to drain. If you're hitched up and have a slightly raised nose, it would take even longer.

Not to be evasive, but this thread could really get confusing for everyone if we try to address individual situations. If there are questions or concerns on your unit, please go to the web site at www.primetimerv.com and use the CONTACT US link to email our Customer Service Department regarding your particular situation.

PTM
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #13

Asked a simple question yesterday...scheduling repairs today. How's that for service
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
Every floorplan and brand is different so this is going to get confusing. However, on the 303 LaCrosse example above (only the 303 LaCrosse above) the kitchen and bath grey tanks are plumbed together ahead of a single dump valve (not termination) which allows these two tanks to equalize together. Thus, there are only two valves - one for black and one for BOTH greys - on this model.

The 303 is a rear kitchen so the galley tank is a LONG ways from the termination. The slope of the drain line is minimal so it's not uncommon for the galley tank to take a while to drain. If you're hitched up and have a slightly raised nose, it would take even longer.

Not to be evasive, but this thread could really get confusing for everyone if we try to address individual situations. If there are questions or concerns on your unit, please go to the web site at www.primetimerv.com and use the CONTACT US link to email our Customer Service Department regarding your particular situation.

PTM
Thanks RVGUY. That is just as I figured, the 2 tanks would equalize and then both would drain together. And, I'll just be a bit more concious about the tilt of the TT when I pull up to dump.
Your clarification just puts my mind at ease......Thanks again for your GREAT SERVICE.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote