Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Rear JT Strongarm Attachment Point

Question for those who have installed JT Strongarms on a Crusader with the enclosed underbelly.

What have you done to install the rear arm attachment points since the enclosed underbelly hides any attachment point or cross member.

The front looks like I will have to modify the battery box for when the arms are retracted but that appears fairly straight forward.
OnyxSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxSky View Post
Question for those who have installed JT Strongarms on a Crusader with the enclosed underbelly.

What have you done to install the rear arm attachment points since the enclosed underbelly hides any attachment point or cross member.

The front looks like I will have to modify the battery box for when the arms are retracted but that appears fairly straight forward.
I call Lippert tech's on the install of the JT Strongarms rear arms. Their instructions shows the arms aiming toward the center of the frame but it needs an additional cross member for someplace to mount it. But last year at Goshen, Lippert was mounting the arms forward to attach to the main frame. I did it forward and it works for me.

ps I had to move my battery box and my spare tire to allow the arm to work on my Wildcat.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
Toy-aholic

I found there's a cross beam that the underbelly is screwed to that is in just the right spot between the jacks...that's where I attached mine. As far as the battery box goes, I just keep that leg down a few holes to keep it away from the box...works fine.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I call Lippert tech's on the install of the JT Strongarms rear arms. Their instructions shows the arms aiming toward the center of the frame but it needs an additional cross member for someplace to mount it. But last year at Goshen, Lippert was mounting the arms forward to attach to the main frame. I did it forward and it works for me.

ps I had to move my battery box and my spare tire to allow the arm to work on my Wildcat.

I moved the battery box back couple of inch's on mine. Have not done the rear arms what the directions said would not work with the rear jacks, I will have to find that other brace under the under belly cover.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Not sure about the new Strongarms but I had to wield the attachment to the jack pad on mine so I just moved it back slightly where I wielded it to the pad and the arm cleared the battery box.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

I did the JT's on my 2015 294 and wasn't that hard at the rear to find the C channel. See if this link helps. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=64364

2015 Crusader 294RLT, 2014 2500 Ram
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:

Elind I am getting ready to mount JT Strongarms on my 2014 Wildcat 327CK. I would love to see some pictures of your installation.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #8

On a friends of mine wildcat I ended up putting a piece of angle iron across the front mounted to the legs and bolted to the bottom of the compartment because he had a generator on one side and no bottom to attach to.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
Elind I am getting ready to mount JT Strongarms on my 2014 Wildcat 327CK. I would love to see some pictures of your installation.
I just got back home tonite to late to take pics but I can do it tomorrow. On mine I had to move the battery box back a couple of inches or raise the box. I also had to trim the spare tire bracket and move the winch ass. back about 4" (another story). On the rear stab I pointed the arms forward on the frame. Lippet techs were doing this on the Goshen install. Pics to come!!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Wildcat 327ck JT Strongarms

Here are a few pics from my Wildcat. I put the rear arms to the center at first (pic) and it didn't have enough clearance to the weak cross member. So aimed them forward attached to the frame. I attached the front arms to predrilled holes on the floor of the front cabinet. Then I cut a inch off the floor behind the battery box and slide it back so the front arms would clear it. I them trimmed an inch or two off the spare tire mount again for the arm clearance. The third mod is to move the spare tire winch back 3" so you can carry your up front. Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	79342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	79344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	79345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	79346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	79347  

Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

We ended up finding a cross member to the rear of the jacks about 14" we then raised each and found our shortest, then we guestamated our furthers since we couldn't fully lower the jacks to find our our furthest measurement and we found a sweet spot at 18" inward of the outside frame rail.... now is that the best spot? Who knows, all I know it took out a substantial amount of the shake and we should be good for the years to come. I know I still have to relocate the batery box but that a project for future me to face as we will on a seasonal site for the remainder of this year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1433719391502.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	79358   Click image for larger version

Name:	1433719400638.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	79359   Click image for larger version

Name:	1433719410510.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	79360   Click image for larger version

Name:	1433719434450.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	79361  
OnyxSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
I put the rear arms to the center at first (pic) and it didn't have enough clearance to the weak cross member.

Thank you. No need for me to figure out what you have already done.

I just have to wait for the Big Brown Truck (UPS) to deliver them so I can get started
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
Thank you. No need for me to figure out what you have already done.

I just have to wait for the Big Brown Truck (UPS) to deliver them so I can get started
Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #14

DONE... What a big difference. I wish I had done this earlier.
Now I am ready to go somewhere!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Here are a few pics from my Wildcat. I put the rear arms to the center at first (pic) and it didn't have enough clearance to the weak cross member. So aimed them forward attached to the frame. I attached the front arms to predrilled holes on the floor of the front cabinet. Then I cut a inch off the floor behind the battery box and slide it back so the front arms would clear it. I them trimmed an inch or two off the spare tire mount again for the arm clearance. The third mod is to move the spare tire winch back 3" so you can carry your up front. Have fun.

Elind. I am planning on mounting my rear the same as yours. I have the same telesoping rear jacks. Could you tell me how far forwards from the jack you mounted the strong arm?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau4u View Post
Elind. I am planning on mounting my rear the same as yours. I have the same telesoping rear jacks. Could you tell me how far forwards from the jack you mounted the strong arm?

I think I attached the arm to the rear stab pad with it in the raised position. Then I locked the arm with the T handle to have a few inches extended out. Installed the mounting bracket to the other end and swung it up to the frame to mark the holes for drilling. It's about 30" from the center of the stabilizer to the center of mount hole.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
I think I attached the arm to the rear stab pad with it in the raised position. Then I locked the arm with the T handle to have a few inches extended out. Installed the mounting bracket to the other end and swung it up to the frame to mark the holes for drilling. It's about 30" from the center of the stabilizer to the center of mount hole.
After the arm is attached. Will your rear telescoping jack go up ask the way. In your pic yours looks the same as mine. But I dont think mine will go up all the way with the arm installed.
sau4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
After the arm is attached. Will your rear telescoping jack go up ask the way. In your pic yours looks the same as mine. But I dont think mine will go up all the way with the arm installed.
At 30" from the stab center to the front mount on the arm the electric stabilizer comes all the up on my Wildcat. When I put the arms toward the center the stabilizer didn't come all the way up without an adapter kit. Lippert also says you need a 3X3 angle iron cross member to hold the two arms.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	80209  
Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #19

I installed mine as you have described. Towards the front. 30". Away from center of stabilizer. It will up almost all the way. Maybe 1/2 shy. I may put my own bracket in to drop the pad a touch. Otherwise fit perfectly. I cannot believe how much of a difference. For me as per instruction. I levelled trailer. Dropped the front 1". Put rears down and locked in place. Picked up front 1". Locked in place. Bumped up. Is that how you have been doing yours. Any other suggestions.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
I installed mine as you have described. Towards the front. 30". Away from center of stabilizer. It will up almost all the way. Maybe 1/2 shy. I may put my own bracket in to drop the pad a touch. Otherwise fit perfectly. I cannot believe how much of a difference. For me as per instruction. I levelled trailer. Dropped the front 1". Put rears down and locked in place. Picked up front 1". Locked in place. Bumped up. Is that how you have been doing yours. Any other suggestions.
I do the same!!! If you want a little more put jack stands near the axles to take the center bounce from the long frame.