Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

Rock n roll

Ever since our purchase of the /crusader 270RET,we have had a serious problem in getting the coach to stop rock n rollin even after we get it all set and leveled. DW weighs like 105 lbs socking wet, you would think she weighs 300 lbs when she walks thru the coach. She says it does the same thing when I walk around. I do not feel anything..what is going on and how can I stop it. We have purchased the front support for the hitch, we have lowered the supports under the rear end...neither seems to have helped the problem. We feel like just getting rid of the dsrn thing for another TT as we never had a problem with that unit. Please help us!!!!!!kickster
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #2

Well, 2 hours ago, I completed this project because of your same issue. We have a 2015 Crusader 294. She weighs 100 and I am 200 and when I move she says it feels like I am going to shake the trailer apart. I installed the JT Strong Arms tonight. That took me 5 hours but I can say it no longer rocks and rolls. Drop your jacks and once level, tighten the T bolts on the arms and bump the jacks to make them tight and is a big improvement. I should have taken advantage of Camping World's $39 install special!!! Don't know if they would have taken the time I did but I was doubting why I chose the DIY route towards the end. I had one of those tripods on my Sydney and found it to be totally ineffective and returned it. We are leaving from Texas to Destin for 2 weeks next week and this was a must do project before pulling out. My bro has an Open Range that comes from factory with JT Strong Arms and they got it right. Will fabricate a ladder mount for my Tailgater antenna tomorrow. That's my recommendation to fix the rocking! Good luck! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405660583.112075.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	653.2 KB
ID:	58388Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405660600.265039.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	644.4 KB
ID:	58389

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #3

I also installed a set od JT strong arms on our Rockwood 8289. There is improvement but still some shake. I think this may be due partly due to torsion spring axles. I have not done it yet, but am considering putting portable jacks under the frame near the axels to unload them and make the center of the rig more rigid.
I notice it most while I'm still upstairs in bed and DW is up and moving around.

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Extra set of stab jacks in the front of the axles will eliminate the bounce from the tires and suspension. Also, a support under the steps stops the shaking from entering and exiting the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle stabilizer jack.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	58395   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	58396   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVChick's Step Support.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	58397  
Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #6

That Steadyfast system looks easier to engage than my JT Strongarms.
For what it's worth, I got no response when I attempted to get some tech support from JT Strongarm. There is a phone number in the instruction catalog that encourages you to call and says " they will be happy to talk you through just about any installation issues". Not so. I had to rig up my own solutions.

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

Planostu - how did you connect the arms under the front storage compartment? I have a Crusader 335BHS, and when the little beasties are running around inside, it feels like an earthquake! I want to add something like the JT Strongarms or the Steadyfast system, but not sure how to mount the the center section of the Strongarms since it's basically just sheet metal there. Also, is that the cover for your battery or did you have to remove the tray to get them to retract?
hockey dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #8

Hockey, there are directions for the front storage compartment on our units. Most new units are installed that way. It is part of the structure so a good mounting point. Here are the directions, just follow the section that applies to you. JT needs to update their doc to reflect the newer models that have telescoping jacks behind the rear wheels. They are still operating under the assumption of scissor jacks at the rear bumper in their photos for all. http://www.happijac.com/~happicja/im...stall_2009.pdf
For the battery box, I cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum and screwed to the floor so the battery is now flush with front storage floor and will not interfere with the arms. I used the left over piece of aluminum to make a bracket base (and a left over piece from a Direct TV mount) for my Tailgater antenna to sit on when stopped so I can get it off the ground when possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	58473  
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
That Steadyfast system looks easier to engage than my JT Strongarms.
For what it's worth, I got no response when I attempted to get some tech support from JT Strongarm. There is a phone number in the instruction catalog that encourages you to call and says " they will be happy to talk you through just about any installation issues". Not so. I had to rig up my own solutions.
Interesting. I installed the SteadyFast set-up...had a hardware issue and called the number provided and spoke with the owner!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote