Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #1

Sanibel 3251-C Front Cap Peeling

I bought a new 2017 Sanibel Fifth wheel and after a couple of years noticed the clear coat peeling at the top of the front cap. I had purchased the exterior protection from General RV in Grand Rapids, MI. At first I filed a claim with the company that provided the protection which was denied. I then contacted Prime Time and was instructed to contact a Forest River authorized dealer to get an estimate and to file a claim. I contacted Gander RV in Coldwater, Michigan who bent over backwards to help get the estimate which was approximately $2800.00 to have the the prep done, new decals and repainted.

The estimate was submitted to Prime Tme who stated they would only pay 5 hours of labor and that only the top 18 inches needed to be painted. The paint shop refused to do this because it would be impossible to do a quality job and therefore nothing has been done. I have lost all hope and am very disappointed that even though there was a known problem with paint and finish on this year of unit as well as many other years that the manufacture would not stand behind the issue. Everything else my wife and I love about the unit.
Has anyone had any luck getting this covered?
StateBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:14 PM   #2

had this done in 2016 puma unleashed 2016 by forest river front cap faded, turned it in as warranty, ask if paint it would be covered ,answer NO. Replace it Yes.sent wrong color cap 6 weeks delay, 7 months later got trailer back. took a lot of ph. calls to F.R. to get it done. so live with it peeling, or pay for repair. i see a lot of faded caps when traveling .value? on r.v. depreciation i say not a big factor . i dont think it will make a difference later on.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #3

I had the problem on my 2014 (production date 10/13). Mine is white and at about 18 months old (spring 2015), I started noticing blotches & dullness "creeping" down from the top. I immediately started taking pictures and sending them to Prime Time showing them the progression over the next several months. At first they tried to say that "the white caps don't do that". After several emails back & forth and series' of pictures showing the progression, they finally saw it & agreed to take care of it (think extensive paper trail). By now, it was fall 2016 and I told them I was planning a trip to Indiana in June 2017. In March/April 2017 I contacted them to arrange an exact date. They told me I was out of warranty and there was no agreement they could find because the person I was communicating with (emails & pics.) no longer worked there. I gathered & resent ALL the related emails & pics showing that they agreed to "take care of it". Needless to say, when I arrived, they had a newly PAINTED front cap ready and a day & a half later I left with a new front cap!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateBull View Post
I bought a new 2017 Sanibel Fifth wheel and after a couple of years noticed the clear coat peeling at the top of the front cap. I had purchased the exterior protection from General RV in Grand Rapids, MI. At first I filed a claim with the company that provided the protection which was denied. I then contacted Prime Time and was instructed to contact a Forest River authorized dealer to get an estimate and to file a claim. I contacted Gander RV in Coldwater, Michigan who bent over backwards to help get the estimate which was approximately $2800.00 to have the the prep done, new decals and repainted.

The estimate was submitted to Prime Tme who stated they would only pay 5 hours of labor and that only the top 18 inches needed to be painted. The paint shop refused to do this because it would be impossible to do a quality job and therefore nothing has been done. I have lost all hope and am very disappointed that even though there was a known problem with paint and finish on this year of unit as well as many other years that the manufacture would not stand behind the issue. Everything else my wife and I love about the unit.
Has anyone had any luck getting this covered?

I had a friend have the same problem on his 2015 PT Spartan. Prime Time denied him because it was past the 30 month warranty that PT (Forest River) in conjunction with the cap manufacturers had to take care of the fading issue. However, there was a sticker on the front cap indicating it had some sort of 5 year exterior protection. They pulled out their paperwork (warranty) called the company & they agreed to paint/clearcoat the entire front cap. Below are the before & after pics.

Don't let that "exterior protection" company or whoever they are try to get out of it. You paid extra for it for just such issues!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170830_171743 (1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	263212   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210130_161600.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	263213  
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #5

Our 2015 Crusader Lite (Built in 2014) purchased March of 2015 started fading in the early months of 2016. I contacted General RV in Birch Run where we bought this unit. They asked to bring 5'r to them to look at March of 2016. They agreed to paint it in the fall of '16. I dropped it off first week of Oct and got it back 2 days before Christmas. They told me when I dropped it off that Prime Time would only cover up to $2000. The bill was $2500 and General RV said don't worry about it so I wasn't out a dime. Biggest wait was for the new decals.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	263234   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-21-17 001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	517.4 KB
ID:	263235  
Days camped 2014 33 . 2015 42. 2016 38. 2017 35. 2018 41. 2019 43. 2020 42. 2021 40.
mikes86gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
D W

Everyone I know that has one of these front caps has experienced degradation within 3 years. Seems like an inferior product to me, but folks keep buying them.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanibel