Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Sanibel 3501

We have a Sanibel 3501. Got a question on winterizing. There is a switch in the docking station that says winterize. There are also two valves on the back of the water heater. Can I just turn the switch to the position marked winterize on the docking station , or do I need to turn the two valves to the opposite position on the back of the water heater ? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
chris woznica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

I have the Sanibe 3600, I winterized by just using the winterize lever, it did exactly what I expected and bypassed the water heater. Without removing covers, I could not get to the back of my water heater, but I suspect if there are valves there its for potentially servicing the system.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Do a "winterize" search on that switch that is located on back of the heater and you will see several postings concerning it. I did place that switch in the bypass position last year for winterization. I felt some of the bypass tubing would of not been protected, if left in its normal position after reading the postings and tracing the heater water tubing on my unit.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

Thank you

chris woznica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #5

Don't forget to pull the plug/anode rod on the water heater to drain it. I believe you should also have another valve to bypass the water heater. It should say "bypass" and "normal".
1-When you're ready, open all the faucets in the unit,
2-Open the "low point drains (located outside under the unit, this drains the lines in the unit),
3-Drain the water heater, put water heater valve in "bypass" position,
4-Put main valve in "winterize" position (this will allow the suction of RV Antifreeze from jug).
5-Get or make a short length of hose w/male end. Attach it to your normal "city" port. Put the other end of the hose into an open jug of RV Antifreeze.
6-Close all faucets including low point drains.
7-Turn on the onboard water pump.
8-Open the faucets one at a time (both hot and cold) and let run until the RV Antifreeze comes out.
9-Pour enough RV Antifreeze into ALL the drains to displace and remaining water.
10-Don't forget to drain your fresh water tank too!!!

BTW - About 3 gallons should do the job.

Good luck.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

Sometimes I just giggle because the high today at my house is supposed to be 93. Winterizing is the farthest thing from my mind.

P.S. I blow mine out with a compressor first.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Sometimes I just giggle because the high today at my house is supposed to be 93. Winterizing is the farthest thing from my mind.

BRAGGER 🔺🔺🔺

heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post

Be sure to also give the toilet a pump or two when your valves are all opened up. I made it thru the winter last year with just draining everything but the dang toilet valve had enough water in it to crack the housing.

Tags
sanibel