Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Sanibel 3600 Towing experience

I have a Sanibel 3600. Dog and I have been full timing in it for my job for the last two years straight. I love it. No major issues, stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Made a few changes here and there, but it's comfortable, spacious, and a great non conventional home. I've even had dates over and believe it or not, their fears of their date "living in a trailer" were relieved!

Only issue I've had is with the exception of a virgin tow from NH to western NY in a borrowed 3500 dually, I've never towed it. It's moved from NY to DC twice, but I had a hauling company do it for me. Surprisingly affordable and completely stress free. Regardless, it's time I got a hitch.

My truck is a 2012 F350 PSD, SRW, 4x4, SuperCab, short box. 3.55 rear end. I have 6k coils in the front and have added extra leafs in the back for a total of a 5 pack plus helper. I'm considering ride rite bags as well to keep the sag to a minimum. My tires are E rated tires. I'm not tuned but I have a tad bit more HP and torq coming in than stock. I've done the loaded calculations and know my weights and I'm within a safe margin. One single man traveling lives pretty light. My hitch will be an 18k Pullrite super glide, auto slider.

I'm aware of the cons of the srw and a short bed, and why a DRW is ideal for pulling big rig like this, but trading is not an option and I only tow a handful of times a year.(though they have the potential to be far, e.g. NH to Texas)

Do any Sanibel owners out there have any towing feedback/experience? Similar truck, hitches, ect? Would be greatly appreciated! I've seen others with my truck pulling my trailer out there in my travels, but never had a chance to find out how they are managing.

Thanks!
joien126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

I have a Chevy 3500 SRW (unmodified) and it tows great. The difference may be that I have a long-bed however. I've heard that it makes a big difference in stability.

I think you just need to get out there and try it. I really think you'll be fine.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #3

Mine has the 142" wheel base. Would be the same as a single cab with a long bed essentially. I think with a properly set up package, managing the speed, and a little route planning and it will pull just fine. Not "forget it's back there awesome", but certainly doable. Thanks, It's good to hear it from others that have been there. Shame you can't test it first!
joien126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

I just bought a 2014 Sanibel 3600, I am towing it with a 2006 F350 CC long bed SRW. The truck is mostly stock, though it has had the known 6.0 issues cared for and running the SCT towing program (+65hp.)

The trailer tows great and I do not have any stability issues even with cross winds. So far have about 400 miles towing it since I picked it up at the begining of the month and about to put another 500 miles in this weekend (250 each way.) Backing up and cornering are probably going to be your biggest things to deal with. Just remember when driving that you need about an extra half a lane to make right handers and not clip the curbs. Otherwise, try to use smoot fluid inputs while turning and eventually it comes to you.

I have towed a lot in the past, but mostly tags in the form of open and enclosed car trailers. Moving from a DP to the 5th wheel has been more of switching where the long wheel base is.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

I'm towing my 3600 with 2011 Silverado 2500 HD / Duramax Diesel I added rear air bags to level my truck when towing and have had no problems. Don't want a dually but looked into a 3500 with single rear wheels. The 3500 is very similar to a 2500 - same engine, trans, axle, tires, and brakes. The biggest difference is the rear springs. That is why I installed the air bags. The Duramax has plenty of HP / torque to pull the Sanibel and the air bags eliminated the bounce. I am aware I am exceeding the recommended hitch weight but I have a very smooth ride when driving.
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanibel, towing