Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to wlhpas
Single A/C on Tracer

we are looking at the Tracer Travel Trailer. We live in TX and are concerned about 30 amp and 1 air being able to cool the unit. would appreciate any feedback. we may have to go to the Lacrosse 301. Thank you all so much !!
wlhpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhpas
we are looking at the Tracer Travel Trailer. We live in TX and are concerned about 30 amp and 1 air being able to cool the unit. would appreciate any feedback. we may have to go to the Lacrosse 301. Thank you all so much !!
I am not familiar with the Tracer, but I am very familiar with the heat in the south (Louisiana). We had a 28 foot fiver with 1 AC that barely did cool the unit. It ran all day and did not cut off until 10:00 at night. We now have 2 ACs in our Columbus and now are cool. I would get the 50 amp unit with the second AC.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #3

We have a Tracer 2800rld. It's a great unit, but If I had to do over again I wpuld at least have ordered it with the 15,ooo btu unit. It very hot weatherit struggles too stay cool. It will run all day and finally shut down late at night. The standard unit is 13,500 btu. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

Mine is at the dealer right now. We have a brand new 298 and the one 15,000 unit doesn't even come close to cooling it off in the daytime. My temp starts climbing about 9 am and get to 85-86. They are checking it to make sure everything is working properly then we are discussing a second AC. We are also in tx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-770606678.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	19296  
Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

I have a brand new Tracer - purchased in early August. It has the 15,000 single unit. Spent 1 week on the North Carolina shore at the end of August and it was beachside with full sun almost every day. It performed very well and cooled the whole unit without any problem. The temps were in the mid to upper 80's most days with several days in the low 90's.
wna3150BHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

We have a 2012 Tracer 3150 with the 15k air conditioner and didn't have any issues staying cool beach front in Myrtle Beach, SC this summer. Temps were in the 90's and humid. We maintained the temp at about 75 degrees with the AC cycling however I did set the thermostat fan to run on high and not auto during the day. Seemed to keep the air moving and maintained a more constant temp.
BGEIS3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

I live in West Texas and I know your PAIN! I have a 2012, 2900BHS with a 15k A/C, we went to Balmorhea State Park this last June, 110 deg, direct sun on the trailer all day, no shade and the A/C ran for 4 days and never shut off day or night. The frig was having a hard time staying around 50 deg during the day. I talked with my dealer and he recommended a 2nd unit installed in the bedroom area. The A/C is a stand alone unit that has a all-weather plug on the side of the trailer. When your trailer finally cools off at night you can shut off the 2nd unit. It works by pluging into the 50 amp plug with a plug that splits into 2 thirty amp plugs. You plug your trailer into one and the 2nd A/C unit into the other, so there is no need to upgrade your 30 amp service. For my frig I went to Radio Shack and bought two, twelve volt four inch fans and zip tied them under the frig vent hood. There's a 12 volt lug outside at the base of the frig that I tied into. That helped a lot by moving more air over the coils.

Hope This Helps
gimp425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp425
I live in West Texas and I know your PAIN! I have a 2012, 2900BHS with a 15k A/C, we went to Balmorhea State Park this last June, 110 deg, direct sun on the trailer all day, no shade and the A/C ran for 4 days and never shut off day or night. The frig was having a hard time staying around 50 deg during the day. I talked with my dealer and he recommended a 2nd unit installed in the bedroom area. The A/C is a stand alone unit that has a all-weather plug on the side of the trailer. When your trailer finally cools off at night you can shut off the 2nd unit. It works by pluging into the 50 amp plug with a plug that splits into 2 thirty amp plugs. You plug your trailer into one and the 2nd A/C unit into the other, so there is no need to upgrade your 30 amp service. For my frig I went to Radio Shack and bought two, twelve volt four inch fans and zip tied them under the frig vent hood. There's a 12 volt lug outside at the base of the frig that I tied into. That helped a lot by moving more air over the coils.

Hope This Helps
Was your 2nd AC ducted into the existing duct, or is it just dumped into the bedroom? My dealer says he might be able to put it in the ducting.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

Good question. Subscribing
Wife check, dogs, check... let's glamp!
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
Was your 2nd AC ducted into the existing duct, or is it just dumped into the bedroom? My dealer says he might be able to put it in the ducting.
I am unfamiliar with your trailer, but I'd be shocked to find it was adequately setup to route another unit into the ducting. I'd be inclined to say that both units would have to be running at the same fan speed or you'd lose efficiency by forcing air back into one of the units. I seriously doubt you'd have the duct volume or vent quantity needed to allow adequate flow from 2 units. Just put a second unit with Air Distribution Box in the bedroom and run it on it's on circuit as said earlier. If the vent in the bedroom isn't one you can shut, change it to one you can. This will force more air from the ducted to other areas in the trailer. You might want to add a duct somewhere else to allow the necessary flow when that one is closed.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
We have a 2012 Tracer 3150bhd with the Exec package, it only has the 13k btu a/c, we had this in the open field (zero shade) with upper 90's and zero breeze and it was good to go. We did not keep it on while we were out and about b/c that really doesn't keep things efficient. But when we returned, cranking it up provided relief in a short bit of time. I do agree that the 8' cf fridge struggles with the excess heat. We bought a fridge stat and watch it hover at 45 on hot days. Not a big fan on the sliding wand fridge thermostat as it sometimes gets bumped and the temps rise as a result - usually this is child related, hunting down snacks etc.

I'm courious about the added fans for the coils. Could that really help?
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
We have a 2012 Tracer 3150bhd with the Exec package, it only has the 13k btu a/c, we had this in the open field (zero shade) with upper 90's and zero breeze and it was good to go. We did not keep it on while we were out and about b/c that really doesn't keep things efficient. But when we returned, cranking it up provided relief in a short bit of time. I do agree that the 8' cf fridge struggles with the excess heat. We bought a fridge stat and watch it hover at 45 on hot days. Not a big fan on the sliding wand fridge thermostat as it sometimes gets bumped and the temps rise as a result - usually this is child related, hunting down snacks etc.

I'm courious about the added fans for the coils. Could that really help?
Your definition of comfortable must vary greatly from mine. Given the circumstances you describe, with a 13.5 running all day you'd be lucky to keep it below 80. At least that's been my experience(and other family members) and most others from what I'm reading.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote