RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #181

Last Friday at the Tampa RV show I asked the Prime Time rep what the status is on this fix. He didn't know there was a problem. I took him to a 325 RES and showed him what was happening on their model. I told him I looked at other makes (Winabego Grand Design, Lance, Cardinal) and they didn't seem to experience this problem.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Last Friday at the Tampa RV show I asked the Prime Time rep what the status is on this fix. He didn't know there was a problem. I took him to a 325 RES and showed him what was happening on their model. I told him I looked at other makes (Winabego Grand Design, Lance, Cardinal) and they didn't seem to experience this problem.

Was that unit at the show showing any wear yet? And if so, what did he say or was going to do?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #183

There was a small amount of rubbing but the problem starts small and grows over time. The best results I saw were on units that had a hard plastic bottom that ran along the strip we see this problem developing.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #184
Site Team

Too bad... the325res is such a nice unit too.
Definitely something to keep a eye on

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #185
Site Team

Im going to look at the upcoming shows for ideas to solve my slide wear problem.
I want something that will fix the problem like a wear strip not more tape or a band-aid.

PT makes a good unit and the people are great too...WHY DO THEY DROP THE BALL when it comes to a fix for the slide wear issue.......aggravating

Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #186

Wow, I just Read this whole thread and was hoping by the end there would be a fix. Now Im worried about the unit I just ordered.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #187

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If it has the Darco wrap, you should be worried. RV Guy said in his post that they are transitioning away from the Darco but who is to say that the newer materials are the answer?

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
If it has the Darco wrap, you should be worried. RV Guy said in his post that they are transitioning away from the Darco but who is to say that the newer materials are the answer?
What is the purpose of the fabric anyway? Just even wondering why they installed it to begin with, I know of no other line that has it. Could someone explain this to me? I been following this thread and just do not see the need. If it is for water proofing there must be a 100 products that would protect the under floor.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #189

I would buy a Crusader but not until I see they have a answer to this problem! Have not seen RV GUY answering questions like he use to on this site lately. Does he still work for Primetime?
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What is the purpose of the fabric anyway? Just even wondering why they installed it to begin with, I know of no other line that has it. Could someone explain this to me? I been following this thread and just do not see the need. If it is for water proofing there must be a 100 products that would protect the under floor.....
The wrap is to protect the bottom and you are correct. There are many other proven options that would do a better job and they now realize that because they are transitioning away from it even though they say they are not away of any problems.. Have no idea what they were thinking, or not thinking, when they decided on it. Newer is not always better.

Last post I can find for RV Guy is 9/3/13.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #191

I just checked back on this thread (hoping you all had found a solution), but alas, it appears that is not the case. The Crusader 335bhs was at the top of our list, and I was hoping to see one at the show this coming weekend, but not having a permanent fix for this issue is likely a deal breaker for me. Can't see spending 50k or so when there is a known issue, apparently affecting quite a few people. That's really too bad as the PT has everything we wanted (bunkhouse, full U shaped dinette, 3 slides). I hope they get it fixed for you all.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #192

Hopefully your post will be noticed and they respond with some information rather than continue to be silent. Not a good feeling.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 02-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #193

I hope so (for everyone's sake). You hear the phrase "all rv's have issues" quite often...it really seems to be an industry thing (certainly not specific to PT).....I can see spending 20k on an RV and having fit and finish issues....start spending 50-60k and that should not happen imo. I cant really understand why the quality control on RV's is so lacking compared to the auto or the boat industry?? I guess when the average discount is 20-30% off MSRP, one can't expect but so much?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #194
Happy Keystone Owner

Shouldn't happen at 20K either. My old Surveyor Hybrid slide out had rollers at the bottom that rode directly on the wood. Granted it was only a 2ft slide and probably not very heavy but there came that day when I put it out and heard the wood ripping. Fixed it with 1/8" X 3" steel straps for the rollers to ride on and readjustments.
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Hopefully your post will be noticed and they respond with some information rather than continue to be silent. Not a good feeling.

X2
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #196
Site Team

I notice other units on the market with this fabric all have plastic wear strips. PT don't offer that on there models.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #197
Site Team

I went to the show in Chicago last weekend.
No slide out improvements imo to potential wear issues . I talked to the PT sales rep , he knew nothing of the issue.
But of all the units we look at over all I still think PT has some of the best units on the market!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #198

Had a chance to look closely at mine after getting it back from our fantastic dealer last weekend. The darco tape that was put in place by the dealer is holding up incredibly well. I also taped up the opposite end of the kitchen slide myself and it is holding up very well. Not much more evidence of further rubbing. I did have my dealer adjust the slide to deal with a gap issue in the seal above the tires.

We will see how this progresses this season. Should there be further issues I am 100% confident that Prime Time will do their best to assist as they have on every other issue I've had.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #199
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Had a chance to look closely at mine after getting it back from our fantastic dealer last weekend. The darco tape that was put in place by the dealer is holding up incredibly well. I also taped up the opposite end of the kitchen slide myself and it is holding up very well. Not much more evidence of further rubbing. I did have my dealer adjust the slide to deal with a gap issue in the seal above the tires.

We will see how this progresses this season. Should there be further issues I am 100% confident that Prime Time will do their best to assist as they have on every other issue I've had.
My dealer in there efforts of adjusting the slide to reduce the wear also created a gap in the seal on the underside.They also removed the half round corner wiper seals, thus creating more of a air gap. This however created a different issue. Driving in heavy rain , water entered my unit. When the slide was closed I could see daylight shining in from below.. Perfect entry point for mice / bugs and water.
Prime time had them put the slide back to spec and re-install the corner 1/2 round wiper.
My darco tape is orange pealed for lack of a better word. I need to get some more darco tape or something else.The old tape doesn't want to come off to easy.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #200

The same thing happened to my slide platokidd. Exactly the same thing. On our Florida trip we hauled in extremely heavy rain and I had water on the floor inside the unit. I am going to closely check the slide today when I go by our storage lot to prep for a winter camping trip tomorrow.

I had Shane send me a roll of darco tape and I applied it myself. So far so good, but I will keep a very close eye on it. Should any problems continue I'll be heading to the factory.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out