Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #41

Thanks camping now, pictures are small on the smart phone, will check them on a bigger screen, thanks for the reply!

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 PT Crusader 295RST TE
GeoArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #42

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Prime Time made their mistake when they used that type of material. It will eventually allow water to penetrate and rot the wood under. One would be wise to watch it carefully.

It should have been a hard waterproof material used. My old HR Savoy had a hard material and showed no wear or evidence of water damage after thousands of miles and 7 years of use.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #43

Here are some pictures of the wear on ours. The area nearest the door is very bad. The wood is visible in many spots.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Prime Time made their mistake when they used that type of material. It will eventually allow water to penetrate and rot the wood under. One would be wise to watch it carefully.

It should have been a hard waterproof material used. My old HR Savoy had a hard material and showed no wear or evidence of water damage after thousands of miles and 7 years of use.
That's what People have been telling me as well. I also told the RV Guy that too. Now a couple more people tell me that.
Ed at the rv shop I wrote in a prior post, Said he see many units with rotten wood from that material. He also said forest river denies those claims or that it even happens because of the fabric..
He said he uses that part number I posted in a prior post here and gorilla tape and says it works great! It wraps over and up the side for max protection from water penetration. .He said he keeps a good stock of the part on hand.
If they take a unit in with fabric and tape on it in trade they put it on.

I was washing my rv today and looking close at the water run off.
The water runs down the side of the slide-out and then under the slide about 5 or 6 inches in on the bottom. So if it does penetrate no doubt it will rot the wood. Surely it will seep threw the tape on the ends. Mine has tape on the ends from my dealer. That was there fix.
I could push on the ends were they wrap the tape over the ends and I think I saw water pushing out ever so slightly.
I hope Prime Time uses something hard the wraps the side that will protect the wood from water damage.( Ref that part # in a prior posting.)
No doubt in my mind what there using is not water proof. Water resistant more like but so was my pup tent. And every time you open and close the slide out your dragging it over the hard plastic threshold wear strip.Friction??
The Rv Guy and Rick at Prime time said there working on a fix. I talked to both of them and so far I am very impressed with both of them!!!
Cant wait to see what they come up with. Thats said the proof is in the pudding.
I will not let my units wood rot!! The more I talk to other folks that's what I am hearing!! They all said forest river told them that cant happen, but yet it did!
I thought about putting wax on the ends were they wrap over the ends.
But for now I going to wait to see what the good folks at Prime Time comes up with.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Here are some pictures of the wear on ours. The area nearest the door is very bad. The wood is visible in many spots.

OMG!!!! Rv Guy care to take a look

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #46

platokidd, I know. This has me very worried. I did bring this to my dealers attention when I had the unit in the first time for repairs (at the time it was only just started to wear) and they did not seem overly concerned. I hope that PT comes up with a solution before the fall. Especially considering we winter camp.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
platokidd, I know. This has me very worried. I did bring this to my dealers attention when I had the unit in the first time for repairs (at the time it was only just started to wear) and they did not seem overly concerned. I hope that PT comes up with a solution before the fall. Especially considering we winter camp.
My dealer first told me it was "INSIGNIFICANT and presented no problem".

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by platokidd View Post
My dealer first told me it was "INSIGNIFICANT and presented no problem".

That is just not right. They should at least tell you they will look into it.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #49

Totally unacceptable platokidd. Let's see what PT comes up with. Given that there is no fridge access with the slide in this slide gets a lot of use. Usually few times in and out per trip, since our rig is in a storage lot and if we pre-pack for the trip we visit the storage lot the night before to load the fridge etc. We also use our trailer quite frequently, likely 40 plus nights on it since picking it up in April.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
That is just not right. They should at least tell you they will look into it.
That was after they did look into it the first time. by the third time I had tape installed and slide adjustments done.. still wearing obviously.
Lets give prime time a chance here as I think they care enough to do something about it.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #51

I really hope so because 3 out of 4 of my slides are doing it.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #52

Found some very thin aluminum approx. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle used for roof edging at Home Depot. Pull the bottom trim back and inserted it under the trip and re-installed the screws. Used ProFlex clear polyurethane sealant along the top of the trim and the horizontal edge. If you use a sealant, be sure to wipe with Acetone or other solvent or the sealant won't adhere. I wonder how the Rustoleum Black LeakSeal in the aerosol can would work?

Doesn't do a lot for the worn areas but it will protect the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crusader 001.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	38131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crusader 002.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	38132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crusader 003.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	38133  

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #53
gonecampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by platokidd View Post
DITTO!!!!
I SECOND THAT POST by zs325RES !!!

RV Guy THANK YOU!!!
Ditto ditto our 2013 295rst is the same. Hope the come up with a fix.
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #54

First post. We have a 2014 245bhs TE. DW loves it-enough said. The underside of the slide is wearing along the outer edges. It appears to me that the slide base rollers have been placed too close to the edge of the room on ours causing the excess wear. Will wait and see what PrimeTime comes up with for repair. Bought it in June and been camping twice. I have pictures just haven't figured out how to post those yet.
Copexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copexp View Post
First post. We have a 2014 245bhs TE. DW loves it-enough said. The underside of the slide is wearing along the outer edges. It appears to me that the slide base rollers have been placed too close to the edge of the room on ours causing the excess wear. Will wait and see what PrimeTime comes up with for repair. Bought it in June and been camping twice. I have pictures just haven't figured out how to post those yet.
Welcome to the forum

Post pics when you can

Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #56

Pictures;

Name:	underslide 1.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	38748

Name:	underslide2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	38749

Name:	underslide3.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	38750
Copexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #57
WJC

I have the same problem brought it to the dealer who placed a black 6" strip over the damaged barrier which made things worse, the tape started rolling back and stuck to carpet, which destroyed the carpet, now I've got black marks and glue from barrier in my carpet! It looks like everyone with the cable slides are having this problem!This is just one of many problems with our trailer! I figure at this point the only fix is to get a different trailer! And not a [primetime]!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003 (2).jpg
Views:	297
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	38771   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (2).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	38772   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	38775  
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
I have the same problem brought it to the dealer who placed a black 6" strip over the damaged barrier which made things worse, the tape started rolling back and stuck to carpet, which destroyed the carpet, now I've got black marks and glue from barrier in my carpet! It looks like everyone with the cable slides are having this problem!This is just one of many problems with our trailer! I figure at this point the only fix is to get a different trailer! And not a [primetime]!
Dont look good. we are all waiting here on this tread for a fix from primetime.
If you look back in this thread there is a possible fix with a part number I posted. It could help you with yours or just wait for a pt fix. But I assume your out of warranty. Im guessing future prime times will have a different slide bottom.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #59

When I first started visiting this forum RV Guy was a frequent poster and provided help between FR and us. He seems have become silent now that some some serious issues are cropping up. The slide wear is a serious issue that can cause water to penetrate the underside and create rot.

IMO, the material on the underside was a poor choice and does not provide adequate water protection under the best of circumstances and a solution will be difficult to achieve. It would have been far better to put a hard type plastic that was impervious to water under the slides. Any future rigs I buy will not have the same material as my current rig has.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
When I first started visiting this forum RV Guy was a frequent poster and provided help between FR and us. He seems have become silent now that some some serious issues are cropping up. The slide wear is a serious issue that can cause water to penetrate the underside and create rot.

IMO, the material on the underside was a poor choice and does not provide adequate water protection under the best of circumstances and a solution will be difficult to achieve. It would have been far better to put a hard type plastic that was impervious to water under the slides. Any future rigs I buy will not have the same material as my current rig has.
I will never buy another unit with under side slide-outs like this ever!
Prime time (Rv Guy and Rick) assured me they will come up with a fix!
IMO I cant see any unit with this material on it not having a problem. Recall???

Zelda the campin dog

Tags
slide, slide out