Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #201

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Don't understand the Darco tape. Anyone have a picture of what it looks .ike on the slide?

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #202
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Don't understand the Darco tape. Anyone have a picture of what it looks .ike on the slide?
I have pics on my profile page but they are from last summer.
You can see it on end... it had just started orange pealing then
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cture8538.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #203

Thanks Plato-I don't have this tape on my slide.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #204
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Plato-I don't have this tape on my slide.
Dealer added it to cover up the wear..

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #205
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
The same thing happened to my slide platokidd. Exactly the same thing. On our Florida trip we hauled in extremely heavy rain and I had water on the floor inside the unit. I am going to closely check the slide today when I go by our storage lot to prep for a winter camping trip tomorrow.

I had Shane send me a roll of darco tape and I applied it myself. So far so good, but I will keep a very close eye on it. Should any problems continue I'll be heading to the factory.
They did my fix adjustment and 1/2 round wiper re-install when I had it winterized. Did not add more tape then. So will see this spring when I use it. I have no reason to think the wear issue is fixed at this time. Dealer took pics and talked to primetime. May have even sent them pics I cant remember right now. PT replied normal wear.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
The same thing happened to my slide platokidd. Exactly the same thing. On our Florida trip we hauled in extremely heavy rain and I had water on the floor inside the unit. I am going to closely check the slide today when I go by our storage lot to prep for a winter camping trip tomorrow.

I had Shane send me a roll of darco tape and I applied it myself. So far so good, but I will keep a very close eye on it. Should any problems continue I'll be heading to the factory.
Who is Shane and how do I get my hands on a roll of this Darco tape?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #207
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
Who is Shane and how do I get my hands on a roll of this Darco tape?
Most dealers have the tape in stock.
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf

Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Most dealers have the tape in stock.
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf

Carl
I still do not understand why they use the tape, Rockwood and Flagstaff line uses plastic material for the edges? Do you have rollers or a neo- prime 6" bar that it travels over? It's about 4" wide and about 1" going up the side with a strip seal on the outside. I can't see how tape can hold up. I would order the strips from FR and install them. They just staple them to the bottom. It baffles me that they can't find you guy's a solution to your problem...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #209
Plain Old Member

Our Silverback has the darco under 3 of the slides. Before taking delivery, I asked about the plastic glides that go under each end of the slide. Come to find out they stocked them due to a Lot of requests, and problems mentioned in this thread. Mine weren't really showing any wear since it was new, but dealer charged it to FR warranty and installed them on all of the slides. They have the same problem on everything from the entry level to a Mobile Suites. I wish manf would at a minimum put filon or something under the slides. Tiffin uses a fiberglass under there's and it works well . Sunny Brook (the older good ones) used some sort of fiberglass like stuff under there's, and never a problem.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #210
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I still do not understand why they use the tape, Rockwood and Flagstaff line uses plastic material for the edges? Do you have rollers or a neo- prime 6" bar that it travels over? It's about 4" wide and about 1" going up the side with a strip seal on the outside. I can't see how tape can hold up. I would order the strips from FR and install them. They just staple them to the bottom. It baffles me that they can't find you guy's a solution to your problem...
x2 bigjohn.............
I still do not understand why they use the tape, Rockwood and Flagstaff line uses plastic material for the edges? X2

Do you have rollers or a neo- prime 6" bar that it travels over? It's about 4" wide and about 1" going up the side with a strip seal on the outside.
No rollers on either of the 2 superslides. There is a plastic bar threshold or plastic strip running the width of the slide. The slide is dragged across this bar. I call it a frictional slide-out.

I can't see how tape can hold up.
It dont hold up.

I would order the strips from FR and install them.
Thats the plan, when at the chi town show I was looking for the kind I wanted. People must have thought I was crazy looking at the bottom of the slide outs there.
Most units that I seen there that use this underside do have plastic wear strips! There are a couple of other brands that dont use it but most did or had something better/else on the bottom.

They just staple them to the bottom.
This method of attaching the strip to the slide out was 1 of prime times concerns. Staples would pull out and do damage or 2 the holes from the staples would allow a entry for moister to the laminated bottom or wood depending on which slide they were installed on. The flooring inside the unit could get damage from the wear strips. Installation of said strips would void that part of my warranty.

It baffles me that they can't find you guy's a solution to your problem.
Your baffled how do you think I feel
At this time PT does not think my wear is a problem. They called it normal wear. I have a different opinion! This tape method is like having to check the caulk on your unit and take the action needed.
I said before and I will say it again , The folks at PT have been great! Shane and the rvguy have been awsum! All my other issues they take care of with my dealer no problems, just not this one!!! They make IMO some of the best units on the market. DW2b and I looked at the show if we were buying again...we love our lacrosse better then most 90% of t he stuff at the show in our $$$$$ range!
But PT slide outs on some units IMO needs improvement. There problems waiting to happen!At least mine is.

I think I have been fair and accurate in this assessment / post.
Sorry for the rant...Im okay now............

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #211

Quote:
x2 bigjohn.............
I still do not understand why they use the tape, Rockwood and Flagstaff line uses plastic material for the edges? X2

Do you have rollers or a neo- prime 6" bar that it travels over? It's about 4" wide and about 1" going up the side with a strip seal on the outside.
No rollers on either of the 2 superslides. There is a plastic bar threshold or plastic strip running the width of the slide. The slide is dragged across this bar. I call it a frictional slide-out.

I can't see how tape can hold up.
It dont hold up.

I would order the strips from FR and install them.
Thats the plan, when at the chi town show I was looking for the kind I wanted. People must have thought I was crazy looking at the bottom of the slide outs there.
Most units that I seen there that use this underside do have plastic wear strips! There are a couple of other brands that dont use it but most did or had something better/else on the bottom.

This method of attaching the strip to the slide out was 1 of prime times concerns. Staples would pull out and do damage or 2 the holes from the staples would allow a entry for moister to the laminated bottom or wood depending on which slide they were installed on. The flooring inside the unit could get damage from the wear strips. Installation of said strips would void that part of my warranty.

It baffles me that they can't find you guy's a solution to your problem.
Your baffled how do you think I feel
At this time PT does not think my wear is a problem. They called it normal wear. I have a different opinion! This tape method is like having to check the caulk on your unit and take the action needed.
I said before and I will say it again , The folks at PT have been great! Shane and the rvguy have been awsum! All my other issues they take care of with my dealer no problems, just not this one!!! They make IMO some of the best units on the market. DW2b and I looked at the show if we were buying again...we love our lacrosse better then most 90% of t he stuff at the show in our $$$$$ range!
But PT slide outs on some units IMO needs improvement. There problems waiting to happen!At least mine is.

I think I have been fair and accurate in this assessment / post.
Sorry for the rant...Im okay now............
I agree with you except for the staples part, To me that's BS if it was a moisture problem FR would be in big trouble. If that is there reason then epoxy them to the bottom. They just don't want a recall. That is the same as mine but just sealed wood underdeck on each slide, no material or tape, just the plastic strip at each end and 3 neoprene 6" bars. I'm really surprised about this from them. The center bar has nothing but wood that it slides on. THey did paint the bottom with something, because it is black for moisture protection. all made out of 3/4" plywood....

Old 02-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #212
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I agree with you except for the staples part, To me that's BS if it was a moisture problem FR would be in big trouble. If that is there reason then epoxy them to the bottom. They just don't want a recall. That is the same as mine but just sealed wood underdeck on each slide, no material or tape, just the plastic strip at each end and 3 neoprene 6" bars. I'm really surprised about this from them. The center bar has nothing but wood that it slides on. THey did paint the bottom with something, because it is black for moisture protection. all made out of 3/4" plywood....
My reply (to the above red line) in the other post is what PT told me, none are my comments.
It sound like one of my slides is similar to yours. The other is what pt calls there "floorbrace" covered in darco wrap crap frabric weave. Its a laminated slide bottom. Dont think there sure how to attach any thing like wear strips to it I guess??

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #213

Anyone hear anything new????????

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 03-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #214

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I have to agree-----------

I have to agree with GLJURCZYK, why not use the hard plastic strips. My Rockwood has the plastic on both slide out and I have no problem.

I sure hope you fellows get the fabric material problem solved.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #215
Site Team

Quote:
Anyone hear anything new????????
Hey Tigger, didnt you put aluminum strips on yours?

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #216

Quote:
Hey Tigger, didnt you put aluminum strips on yours?
Call FR or your dealer and ask them to order the end strips for a rockwood 8289WS and then just install and cut them down where needed. You will get a left and right strip, very cheap. I would at least try them. If you don't want to staple them on like they do at the factory, just use epoxy to install them. I wouldn't wait for PT. They are about 4" wide and an 1" high on the outside end. I have never had a problem with the stapes as it seems some people are worried about. they are also curved on the inside to fit the 45 degree lip.......Problem solved...

Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #217

I put some on one slide but it is to protect the end where there is a horizontal bar. I believe that the Darco will allow water to wick through it and rot the edges. I am hoping it will prevent that.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #218
Plain Old Member

Mine aren't stapled. They removed that trim on the bottom / end wall of the slide, slip the strip on, and resecure the trim with new butyl and sealant. The strip is about 4-5 inches underneath and makes a 90 degree bend up the end wall for an inch or so. Underneath, I think it's glued or something. I can take a picture when I get home in a few weeks for what it's worth. They fit very nice and are not specific to a Silverback. You could probably put them on most any manufacturers slide out as most have the same angled wedge and trough design, provided it's a flush floor. You could tell our dealer had done it several times as it looks great and didn't take them long to do it.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Mine aren't stapled. They removed that trim on the bottom / end wall of the slide, slip the strip on, and resecure the trim with new butyl and sealant. The strip is about 4-5 inches underneath and makes a 90 degree bend up the end wall for an inch or so. Underneath, I think it's glued or something. I can take a picture when I get home in a few weeks for what it's worth. They fit very nice and are not specific to a Silverback. You could probably put them on most any manufacturers slide out as most have the same angled wedge and trough design, provided it's a flush floor. You could tell our dealer had done it several times as it looks great and didn't take them long to do it.
John were you seeing wear problems on your Silverback?

Pictures would be great. We don't have a problem... yet... but I can imagine after some time there may be some excessive wear.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #220
Plain Old Member

I, like previously mentioned on here am one of those people who look under every slideout at the shows and dealer lots. I think the darco is the dumbest design I've ever seen, but most of us have it. Mine only had a very small amount of wear on one of the edges on one slide, but, this was brand new on the lot. Having researched this issue for years, and knowing what was going to happen in time, I wouldn't take the unit without the plastic glides installed first. This is the first unit I've had with the darco. Unfortunately nobody that had the solid surface under the slides had a floorplan that would work for our family, so, didn't have much choice.

I'll be home from work in a little over 2 weeks, but will be happy to take some pictures of ours. It would be quite the job, but I have toyed with the idea of removing the darco and putting my own laminate / fiberglass sheeting under the slides. Probably more trouble than it's worth though. Heartland uses a product I like, which is a 1" plywood with a solid surface laminated to the bottom. I can't remember the name of it, but don't know why more manf. haven't used it. It just makes sense.

Tags
slide, slide out