Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #261

I have the Darco tape and the 2 main slides are showing wear near the outer edges. On the 12 ft slide, it is worn to the wood floor. Called Primetime and they acted dumb, like no one had ever reported this problem. I was told I had to bring the RV to the dealer before they would determine how it can be corrected. The dealer is now waiting on instructions. I suggested to the dealer a product called Slick Strips (UHMW polyethylene) sold by elastics.com and McMaster Carr. This is a self adhesive plastic sheet designed for sliding. When I hear from the dealer, I will post the results. While waiting to see the service rep, I looked at a Crusader on the showroom and it will soon have torn Darco tape. PM has not yet changed the design. I believe they are hoping most customers do not see this problem until the warrantee is expired.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDiesel View Post
I have the Darco tape and the 2 main slides are showing wear near the outer edges. On the 12 ft slide, it is worn to the wood floor. Called Primetime and they acted dumb, like no one had ever reported this problem. I was told I had to bring the RV to the dealer before they would determine how it can be corrected. The dealer is now waiting on instructions. I suggested to the dealer a product called Slick Strips (UHMW polyethylene) sold by elastics.com and McMaster Carr. This is a self adhesive plastic sheet designed for sliding. When I hear from the dealer, I will post the results. While waiting to see the service rep, I looked at a Crusader on the showroom and it will soon have torn Darco tape. PM has not yet changed the design. I believe they are hoping most customers do not see this problem until the warrantee is expired.
Thanks for posting this... the Slick Strips might be a great solution. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #263
Site Team

I still think this is the better answer .Click image for larger version

Name:	hard plastic wear strip on slide out bottom.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	50354
It also wraps around the corner of the slide protecting the ends.

Note from post 28:
part number 10F009458 slide out repair panels.
. I talked to timberview rv.
Ed, told me the way forest river wraps the ends of the side with fabric the wood rots out.This part wraps around the side to protect that from happening.

I went to a dealer the other day, so I just have to look under the slides of the units in the showroom. Check this out, new Crusader unit with duck tape on a bottom of the slide. Hmm whats that covering up???

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I still think this is the better answer .Attachment 50354

Note from post 28:
Ed, told me the way forest river wraps the ends of the side with fabric the wood rots out.This part wraps around the side to protect that from happening.

I went to a dealer the other day, so I just have to look under the slides of the units in the showroom. Check this out, new Crusader unit with duck tape on a bottom of the slide. Hmm whats that covering up???
That looks and sounds like what Rockwood uses. If you look at the picture you can see where it is being dragged over the bar or what ever they are using. That's what ripping the edge. The only difference on Rockwood is that the underslide is painted or waterproofed with no material but that plastic piece go's from the 45 degree inside to the end and also wraps up 1'' on the side. I have broke 2 in 2 years, same one each time. Could be the weight that side has a stove and refer on it on my model in that corner.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #265
Mod free 5er

Why not install metal wear strips at the wear points?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #266
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That looks and sounds like what Rockwood uses. If you look at the picture you can see where it is being dragged over the bar or what ever they are using. That's what ripping the edge. The only difference on Rockwood is that the underslide is painted or waterproofed with no material but that plastic piece go's from the 45 degree inside to the end and also wraps up 1'' on the side. I have broke 2 in 2 years, same one each time. Could be the weight that side has a stove and refer on it on my model in that corner.
I have seen what rockwood uses and Im not impressed.
Seen some of the plastic strips that are so thin that I dont see how they can last. Also seen some beefy strips that look like they can hold up better.

Like I have posted before, my wear is about 3" to 5" wide on the ends mostly.
My slide has no rollers or sharp objects rubbing on the slide. Just a fabric sandwich between a wear bar and wood with a superslide dragging across it.

I've been patient waiting for a real fix from primetime. Im still under warranty (few weeks left) and don't want to void that out. But this has to get addressed one way or another.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I still think this is the better answer .Attachment 50354

Note from post 28:

10F009458 is this a Forest River part#?

How are they attached and can they be installed without removing the slide from the trailer?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #268
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
10F009458 is this a Forest River part#?

How are they attached and can they be installed without removing the slide from the trailer?
is this a Forest River part#? Hmm think so

Ed told me they use gorilla tape or staples. Not sure if thats the best way to go for every unit.

Sounds like some here have had there wear probs fix with adjustments / screws removed and tape. Or they just dont want to say. Either way its not working on mine.

My tape is wearing / fraying or what I call orange pealing. My slide has been adjusted ...I lost count of how many times. Adding more tape is just better then a stick in my eye. Thus I keep a roll of darco tape in my unit for when needed.
If I sound irritated with this whole slide wear repair process or lack of it thats coz I am. Sometimes I feel like I've been left holding the bag.
This will have to be addressed just like caulking and other pm's. Its not a major major issue but it does need to be addressed with a real fix. Left unchecked it will lead to bigger problems.

OC with your engineering talents and workmanship Im sure this would have been fix long long ago.

Sorry for the rant!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #269

I have sprayed the underneath and edges of the slide facing to the front and rear using "Flex Seal." It stopped the shower leaks, will see how it does on this problem.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #270

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398126725.783776.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	50626Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398126744.167512.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	50627Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398126759.837107.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	50628

It does look like I have some darco wrapped edge on the one slide but no signs of wearing. Main floor bottom feels like a hard thin plastic sheeting.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #271
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Attachment 50626Attachment 50627Attachment 50628

It does look like I have some darco wrapped edge on the one slide but no signs of wearing. Main floor bottom feels like a hard thin plastic sheeting.
Glad to see PT is making improvements.
Interesting pictures for sure. thanks for posting

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #272

I sent an email to rvguy asking if the 10f part number could be bought from the dealer and have them install sent it on 4/20 so far no response. Out of initial warranty soon sure would like to get this taken care of, even at some cost.
Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #273
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clif View Post
I sent an email to rvguy asking if the 10f part number could be bought from the dealer and have them install sent it on 4/20 so far no response. Out of initial warranty soon sure would like to get this taken care of, even at some cost.
Did you try calling pt ??

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #274

My warranty has expired on ours. I called pt to discuss the wearing problem on the 12' slide. I did have the special tape installed by our dealer at pt direction. They acted dumb founded and I was the only one with the problem. They were calling my dealer and was suppose to get back to me. Still have not heard anything - going on 7 weeks now.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500 LTZ
2013 Crusader 325RES
ntrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrlz View Post
My warranty has expired on ours. I called pt to discuss the wearing problem on the 12' slide. I did have the special tape installed by our dealer at pt direction. They acted dumb founded and I was the only one with the problem. They were calling my dealer and was suppose to get back to me. Still have not heard anything - going on 7 weeks now.

If it's been 7 weeks I would be calling again. They obviously forgot. Stay on too of them. Squeaky wheel always get oil first. Unfortunately you have to follow through with everyone these days until your satisfied.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #276

My 5th wheel is now in the RV shop for over 3 weeks and I am waiting on a final resolution regarding the worn Darco tape. After the service dept said PT would only authorize more Darco tape and the dealer would try the polyethylene slick strips as a courtesy with no warranty, I called PT and spoke with Rick. He later emailed this info: "I have found two different slide floors that we are currently using. One is a floorbrace, it has a smooth finish on the bottom, similar to the underbelly. The second is the Darco tape; but I have noticed that there are corners that they are using. I’m looking into this." I sent him pictures as he requested and hopefully they will do more than just add more Darco tape. The corners to which he referred may be the plastic shields at the sides (where the tape wears) and wrap over the corners. There is a picture of this on another post. Everyone who has this problem should call PT.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #277
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDiesel View Post
My 5th wheel is now in the RV shop for over 3 weeks and I am waiting on a final resolution regarding the worn Darco tape. After the service dept said PT would only authorize more Darco tape and the dealer would try the polyethylene slick strips as a courtesy with no warranty, I called PT and spoke with Rick. He later emailed this info: "I have found two different slide floors that we are currently using. One is a floorbrace, it has a smooth finish on the bottom, similar to the underbelly. The second is the Darco tape; but I have noticed that there are corners that they are using. I’m looking into this." I sent him pictures as he requested and hopefully they will do more than just add more Darco tape. The corners to which he referred may be the plastic shields at the sides (where the tape wears) and wrap over the corners. There is a picture of this on another post. Everyone who has this problem should call PT.

3 weeks, I have been waiting for a year!! Do keep us all posted on the outcome.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #278
Plain Old Member

You can purchase those plastic glides that fit under the edges about 6" and turn up and tuck under the end wall trim. They go all the way inside and contour to the wedge as well. These are not specific to any brand, as most slides have similar floors and wedge design. If PT won't help, I'd just go get my own. They are fairly simple to install after studying how they did mine. I'll be back at the dealer in another week or so, and I will ask them where they order them from. They stock them for this very reason (worn darco), as just about every FR brand has this problem, and other brands as well. Our dealer doesn't carry PT, but the problem is industry wide.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #279
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
You can purchase those plastic glides that fit under the edges about 6" and turn up and tuck under the end wall trim. They go all the way inside and contour to the wedge as well. These are not specific to any brand, as most slides have similar floors and wedge design. If PT won't help, I'd just go get my own. They are fairly simple to install after studying how they did mine. I'll be back at the dealer in another week or so, and I will ask them where they order them from. They stock them for this very reason (worn darco), as just about every FR brand has this problem, and other brands as well. Our dealer doesn't carry PT, but the problem is industry wide.
Post a few pics if you can. I would think the slide-out would have to be jacked up some to get the part installed.
Most units I have seen that have this kind of bottom have the strips as well.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #280
Plain Old Member

I'll dig the pictures up again. They're on another thread somewhere around here. You do have to jack up the slide. Extend the slide until it's 2-3 inches from full extension, then evenly jack up the floor just enough to slide the glides in place. Obviously you need to use a 4x4 or something to distribute the jack under the floor. Loosen or remove the bottom end wall trim where the vertical portion of the glide will slide up under it. The glides are glued in place, then trim reinstalled. I had the dealer install these on all 4 of our slides before we'd accept it. But, if I ever get another camper without them, I'll probably do it myself. Really not much to them.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out