Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
PT Crew Member #64

Question strongarm stabilizer system

I have a crusader 260RLD and am thinking of buying the J T Strongarm system because of the DW vertigo. What are your thoughts on them? Do they really get rid of the shake? Are they as easy to install as they look?
GarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Always Learning

For us, the answer is - they help some. In fact, I'm still not happy with the lack of shake in our rig.

Right now- we use a between the wheel chock (RotoChocks). And, a JT StrongArm knock-off called UltraFab Eliminators.

I've started trying a product called the Valterra Stabilizer Stand. It doesn't seem to be helping. My wife thinks it is worse with it, but I think she's wrong on that account. But, it's definitely not helping.

My next step is to add scissor jacks under the camper near the axles. They'll be a hassle to setup (the Stabilizer Stand is, that's for sure) but if it helps with the stability, then it'll be worth it for longer stays (more than a weekend, I mean).

More detailed write up here:
Learn To RV: Shake, shake, shake - RV Stabilization
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe mine helped 95% OF ALL side to side and for and aft movement.
Bounce on the other hand is another animal.
Short of adding jacks at the center of the frame it hopeless.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Toy-aholic

between JT S/A & not extending frt landing gear as much(use 6x6 blocks) I took all side to side shake out
Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

The strong arms will definitely help, but if your better half has vertigo, you might want to use a tripod on the fifth wheel pin as well. They are a bit of a pain, but they sure do work. The combination should make a big difference.
When we used a tripod, I put a fair bit of weight on it, so it dug into the ground, which gave it the traction to resist any movement side-to-side, or front-to-back.
And the Bal X-chocks for the tires are worth the price too.

I feel for your missus, as I am also very sensitive to motion, although luckily not quite vertigo.
All the best.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

I have homemade JT's in across the front and going back on the rear stab jacks and scissor jacks welded on brackets that bolt around the suspension frame in front of the axles and that stops 99% of it in conjunction with 2 Bal X Chocks between the tires. Also made an adjustable step support which helps.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

just added to our 335 last night. You could move the unit by hand before once I tighten the tee the trailer wouldn't move. It is solid as a rock now my son would roll over in the back bunk and you could feel it moving,now nothing.Think it was a good buy
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Denver, CO

I personally like the Winfield Stabs because they allow you ro apply a little side force to the landing jacks without the extra step of tightening the JT's or steadyfasts and then lowering the jacks a little. I just level the trailer, put the pins in the winfields and give em a couple of turns to increase their resistance to side loads.

I agree that the only real solution is to get the weight off the wheels, which is a pain to do without alot of buckage..
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Always Learning

For y'all with "rock solid" rigs after adding just the strongarms, please come visit me and show me what I'm doing wrong! We keep our front and rear legs as short as reasonably possible and tighten the strongarms (ours are knockoffs) and even bump the landing gear after tightening everything. There's still a fair amount of movement inside!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For y'all with "rock solid" rigs after adding just the strongarms, please come visit me and show me what I'm doing wrong! We keep our front and rear legs as short as reasonably possible and tighten the strongarms (ours are knockoffs) and even bump the landing gear after tightening everything. There's still a fair amount of movement inside!
People tend to exaggerate.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
...I agree that the only real solution is to get the weight off the wheels, which is a pain to do without alot of buckage..
Less than $80 and a little work and they are permanently stowed on trailer.

2-1/4 Ton Trailer Stabilizer Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Axle Jack Retracted.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	35089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger Side Axle Jack Mount.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	35090  
Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Do you have 2 or 4 ?
In front in the middle or behind axles?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Do you have 2 or 4 ?
In front in the middle or behind axles?
2, in front of the axles. Can't get them between due to using the Bal X Chocks.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

2, in front of the axles. Can't get them between due to using the Bal X Chocks.
I see.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
Denver, CO

Quote:

Yeah, everything is easy for the COOT, and this IS a great idea, but most of us it would be 80$ and alot of work. Worth thinking about tho. These things will REALLY support 2000 lbs each? WOW.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

I had my buddy last night who is 275 push on the front corner of the trailer,it moved like crazy. Did up the bars he tried again there was no movement. Maybe if I get in and try it from the inside it might be worse. I also have the front jacks in the 9th hole always try to keep it low
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Yeah, everything is easy for the COOT, and this IS a great idea, but most of us it would be 80$ and alot of work. Worth thinking about tho. These things will REALLY support 2000 lbs each? WOW.
Not any easier for me than anyone else, just happen to have the equipment to do it. The jacks are SUPPOSEDLY capable of 4500#, but I wouldn't want to trust them for anywhere near that.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Quote:

Not any easier for me than anyone else, just happen to have the equipment to do it. The jacks are SUPPOSEDLY capable of 4500#, but I wouldn't want to trust them for anywhere near that.
The equipment is EVERYTHING. and you got it happening...
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
I had my buddy last night who is 275 push on the front corner of the trailer,it moved like crazy. Did up the bars he tried again there was no movement. Maybe if I get in and try it from the inside it might be worse.

Yes, from the outside mine feels solid as well.
But as you say, inside is a different story. Good, but certainly not perfect.
I think a lot of the movement might also be bouncing on the suspension, as the mickey-mouse frame flexes up and down, so I might have to add midship jacks like OC.
$80 and a half-hour of fabricating, easy-squeasy. .
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
...$80 and a half-hour of fabricating...
More like 2 -3 hours to fab the straps that bolt around the 2 x 4 tube, re-work the top of the jacks and position/mark them so they do not interfere with the tires, remove for welding, painting and re-installation. But, regardless, it is a time saving mod to just take the cordless drill and run them down and then tighten with a ratchet to actually lift the trailer a little off the tires. Sure takes the bounce out of the trailer when used in conjunction with the other things.