Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

thoughts on prime time avenger

Hello all, I have narrowed my decision down to the prime time avenger and a jayflight. Last year almost pulled the trigger on a avenger but decided to save for one more year. I am leading towards the avenger but a big concern to me is the posts about the underside wearing on the slide. Is this a huge issue or just some people that had bad luck on the unit they got? any and all suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think it's pretty much over on the newer units. Several manufacturers have had the problem . I haven't had the problem on either one of my Crusaders.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Site Team

jkochmit1, first off welcome to the forum!

Reading the http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html thread some folks are still having problems with newer units. Might want to start at the most recent post and work back.

Think its all about whats underneath the slide,weight and size of the slide. I can say I will think twice or 3 times before buying a fabric bottom slide unit again. One of my under slide -outs is painted with a truck bed-liner material and is holding up well. The slide strips so far are holding up well as a remedy for the other super slide..
Know my Tracer had no problem with slide wear, but it had no fabric on the bottom.

Now as to the Avenger , whats on the slide bottom?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #4

1 year old Sanibel 3250 and I check every time I open the slides. The 2 opposing slides are large and show absolutely no wear. The street side slide contains the entire kitchen and Lane (heavy) fold out couch/bed. IMHO I think it comes down to proper alignment/adjustment of the slide. So, so far so good!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #5

We LOVE our avenger (2013) and what issues we had were small and Forrest River fixed through our dealer without ant hassles. I highly recommend the avenger. We have the 27th floor plan.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

Also we haven't had any problems with the slide out
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Texas

I would be careful... Mine is 20 months old - Prime Time 295RLS. Kitchen slide has a ton of wear to the black plastic undercoating material, and I did not catch it soon enough to have it fixed under warranty - like 2 months past my 12 month warranty... So now I will have to fix it myself w/ some high density plastic runners and re-seal things to protect the wood flooring....

I have also had to fix the roof near the edges of the living room slide, had developed some cracks to the rubber roofing material on each end as it wraps around the side...

So, Not real happy w/ FR at the moment.

Also the tires - lost the tread on one and really messed up the skirting (plastic fender was not damage), leveler quick release pin and landing pad... Looks like this one will cost $90 for metal skirting + $250 shipping. Plus the pin and landing pad for $80 on Ebay.. not the mention 5 new Goodyear tires...

Again, not real happy w/ FR at the moment...

My 10yr old Jayco had none of these problems... Kinda sorry I traded...
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

2014 Avenger 28BHS owner

My Avenger has the under side wear on the edge of the slider. It actually made black marks on the rug inside. I had my dealer adjust the slide and they re-taped the edges and cleaned the rug(while it was under warranty). It is much better now but there is still signs of wear. Also had a loose screw under the slide which caused a groove in the middle on the under slide floor, dealer taped that up too. I guess since my warranty is over I will have to keep an eye on the underside of the slide and retake myself as necessary. I know the next camper I buy will have a plastic (solid) underside. Definitely will stay away from this fabric stuff. One more thing to learn as you go. Other than that I love my Avenger, great looking, great options and a great price. Overall a solid unit. Just part with a bad design(probably to save money).
daga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #9

\We have a 2012 Prime Time Avenger. We have had, so far, good luck. We have traveled around parts of Texas. Had no serious problems with the Avenger. We have the extended weather package and when a cold front came thru for four days below freezing during those days, we came thru just fine. A good test. As usual, we think they, Prime Time, needs to review some minor electrical outlet details for the use of lot of electrical connections. However, we have managed to adapt. My wife and I think it is a very nice trailer for us two old people (retired). The price was good. When we stay some where, we are usually on the go visiting the sites around the area and just come back to the trailer to go to bed and go again the next day. It pulls good. If it is not windy or bad weather and a good traveling day - go the highway speed limit. Hardly know you are pulling a trailer. Again, we like our Avenger.
utahlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

We picked up our 2015 Avenger 33RSD in June. It's at the dealer now getting some minor issues fixed. Most being lazy manufacture issues (switches not installed right, drawers not staying closed during travel ect.). The biggest issue we found so far is the right side slide needs to be adjusted, lays on the carpet a little to heavy for me when in the stowed position. Other than that we are very happy with our purchase.
MUNSTRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Its a great idea to put what type of unit you have in your signature line.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 12-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

appreciate all the replies so far lots of good info!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #13

We have a 2014 Avenger ATI 27bbs. We have only had some minor issues as anyone would have with the way they throw together travel trailers. Ours was mainly in fit and finish, such as the same problem that daga13 had with the bottom corner of the slide scraping and leaving a black streak on the carpet. Since I don't leave too many things stock in a travel trailer, I just assume I'm going to have to take care of problem as I go and get the quality that you can't get from the industry. If I carry it in to the dealer and leave it, I'm afraid they will screw something else up. I don't think the Avenger is any worse than any others and now that we have worked out the bug and made the changes we wanted, we are crazy about ours.
EYEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #14

platokidd I think I got the type of unit I have now in my signature line I noticed a lot of people do but never thought to do it myself lets see if it worked!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkochmit1 View Post
platokidd I think I got the type of unit I have now in my signature line I noticed a lot of people do but never thought to do it myself lets see if it worked!

Nope.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #16

how about now tried something diffeant
Old 12-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #17

Quote:

Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:

What model Avenger are you looking at?

Zelda the campin dog
Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #19

the 26BH or 28DBS Im leaning towards the 28DBS but have a lingering concern about the underside wearing
Old 12-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #20

I really like the tracer 250AIR!!!! but think that would be out of my budget the avenger floorplans I listed have the features I want and would most likely better fit my budget.

Tags
prime time