Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitors

Recently installed set on my 5ver. Was told by some to replace rubber valve stems with metal. I decided to stay with the rubber stems after talking with people at Truck Technology. Has anyone had any experience with these tpms systems? Should rubber stems be replaced with metal?
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

I had a toy hauler the last two years with a tpms system with the valve stem transmitters. When I bought the tpms I had metal valve stems installed. Used it two years no problems. I bought a new toy hauler and asked them to install metal valve stems. The problem was the new stems were brass but they had a rubber base without nuts. My first trip we hadn't gone 70 miles when the alarm went off. Aired up the tire and didn't make 30 more miles and the alarm sounded again this time for two tires. Long story short, the centrifugal force was causing the stems to leak. I have replaced these stems with metal of the type that have nuts that can be tightened to form a rigid stem.

My opinion is don't use anything but the metal type that have nuts that can be tightened against your rim.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #3

Been using TST system for about 3-years on OEM valve stems with no problems. I would probably install the metal stems if I were using the monitors that allow you to check and inflate the tire without removing the monitor since they are heavier.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

I've had the Truck Tire 507 system for about a year and was told the metal stems were advised to avoid leaks. I think over time the centrifugal force on the rubber stems will cause problems. Les Schwab installed my 4 metal stems for $60 which was a good deal considering the metal stems cost about $8 each.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the input guys. Two heads are always better than one. Think I will have the metal ones installed with nuts.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #6

Tire Pressure Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I had a toy hauler the last two years with a tpms system with the valve stem transmitters. When I bought the tpms I had metal valve stems installed. Used it two years no problems. I bought a new toy hauler and asked them to install metal valve stems. The problem was the new stems were brass but they had a rubber base without nuts. My first trip we hadn't gone 70 miles when the alarm went off. Aired up the tire and didn't make 30 more miles and the alarm sounded again this time for two tires. Long story short, the centrifugal force was causing the stems to leak. I have replaced these stems with metal of the type that have nuts that can be tightened to form a rigid stem.

My opinion is don't use anything but the metal type that have nuts that can be tightened against your rim.

Did you replace with short or long stems?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #7

Definitely short.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire