Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Tires underated for 2017 Primetime Lacross

I have a 2017 Primetime Lacrosse 328RES with the stock Power King Towmax II tires on it. Had a sidewall blowout will sitting still in traffic. After the blowout I started looking at the capacity of my tires and rims that came on the trailer. If I understand it right the tires are under rated for the maximum weight of the trailer. This past Friday I sent an email to Primetime, Forest River, and Camping world asking them to explain why have underrated tires on the travel trailer is acceptable to them. Please tell me your opinion about my thoughts in the email below and what I should do.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Gregg

Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 11:24 AM
To: 'nwilson@forestriverinc.com' <nwilson@forestriverinc.com>
Cc: 'julie.henes@campingworld.com' <julie.henes@campingworld.com>; 'shankins@forestriverinc.com' <shankins@forestriverinc.com>
Subject: Serious concern that my tires and rims that came on my travel trailer are underrate

Hello ,

I have a serious concern that my tires and rims that came on my travel trailer are underrated. This worries me because last Sunday I had a tire sidewall blow out while sitting still. Attached is a picture of the blown tire and the info sticker that is on the side of my trailer.

The GVWR of my travel trailer is 11,409 LB. The maximum weight carrying capacity of my rims and tires are 2,830 LB. Multiply that by 4 tires = 11,320. This makes my tires and rims underrated by 89LB if the weight of the trailer was evenly distributed across all four tires, which I doubt it is. The tire that had the sidewall blow out was on the driver’s side which is under the refrigerator. So it could be that instead of being 89 LB overloaded it could be has much has 500lbs. This is an unsafe situation.

I feel that the trailer should have rims and tires that are rated to carry the GVWR of my trailer along for a safety factor.

Can you please explain this situation to me so that I can feel comfortable using my travel trailer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Sticker.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	185188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire blown.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	185189  
gdfrick122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
clr

Well your math is correct as far as it goes. You forget to also subtract the tongue weight. Your GVWR is 11,409 pounds minus the load carried by the axles and wheels (11,320) minus the tongue weight about 10 % of GVWR (1,141 Pounds) equal 1052 pounds of access capacity. So you have about a 10%, but a little less safety margin on your tires and wheels.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks CLR. I had not thought about tounge weight. It is around 950lbs. I guess that puts me right on the edge. Wish it was a little more safety margin built in. But I guess that is the way with most new trailers. The manufacturer supplies just enough to get buy.
Gregg
gdfrick122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires