Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Tracer 2670BHS Slide Drive GRENADED!

First post here...and want to say this is an invaluable forum, and some great contributors and ideas on here. I just found it as I was looking for answers on a problem on my less than a year old 2670 BHS Tracer.

Has anyone had their slide drive gearbox essentially blow up? As I was pulling mine in today after cleaning the unit, there was a grinding sound and a pop from the motor area (above my dining/living super slide). I stopped the slide immediately and reversed it to extend it back out. It extended with no grinding noise and I stopped it. I called the Forest River helpline and they put me in touch with a tech who said I could try to use the hex head flex tool to plug into the end of the motor. I took off part of the trim to expose the motor and drive unit, inserted the hex head and noticed it would spin effortlessly one way or the other. I'm assuming there is some sort of shaft or connection between the drive motor and gears? I did not feel or see anything.

The unit is under warranty for another 9-10 days or so, so I guess I'll see how good the FR warranty is on an issue like this. My question is, has anyone experienced this, and if so, how did the warranty dept, at Prime Time/FR handle it?

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to get the slide in so I can get the unit out from my slide yard RV pad and up to the dealer. I do have an extended warranty purchased when I bought the unit, so that may have to come into play...thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

Don't rely on your extended warranty plan. I had one on our last Lacrosse and when my slide motor bracket bent they refused the cost of the repair. Depending on which warranty company it is you may or may not have a problem getting them to pay. Also, if you had a dealer "perform an annual inspection" of the affected component or not may come into play too.

For me, the Lacrosse was in its' third year and since ALL components were working flawlessly, I never had reason to "take it in". So, when the slide apparently got bound up and I tried to manually get it to move, I bent the bracket that holds the motor to the frame. When my dealer contacted the warranty company, they refused because I had no records of "preventative maintenance/inspection" on the slide.

Disconnect the "RAM" under the slide from its' bracket and the slide should be free to move. Push it in, block it in place and get it to the dealer before your original warranty runs out.

I would also e-mail the dealer and call putting them on notice that there is a problem and you will try to get it to them A.S.A.P.

Good luck and keep us posted .
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Thanks Racer...I've got an extended warranty through Cornerstone. Says its the "Ultimate" package, so we'll see. Currently I have noticed PT through the website that the issue happened, and called FR's hotline. They had me in the database so we'll see. The tech did say they only cover the cost of the service call, then I'm responsible for parts and dickering with the dealer to be reimbursed for those parts. With the unit still under one year, AND an extended warranty you'd think I may get some sort of coverage out of it. Just hope I can get it fixed by May 29th, as its our annual Memorial Day weekend camp with family!

Edit-Also the slide mechanism is one of the BAL Accu-slide cable pull systems, so not sure about how that can manually be moved in an out, if the hex drive doesn't work...that just circumvents no current to the motor it looks like.
Dan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #4

Rick at Prime Time was super quick to respond to me this morning. I'm waiting for a coach net mobile tech to call back. Local dealer service informed me that the slide can be pushed in with 2-3 guys if needed...thought it would be prudent to have one of the contracted mobile techs look at it first and hopefully do an on-site fix. Will keep forum posted on progress.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #5

Update on the process- Rick at Prime Time had me call Coach Net as I was still a week on the good side of my warranty. They had a tech (general fleet manager from a local towing company who was very knowledgeable with mechanical systems, though not an expert on my Accu-slide), who helped me get my slide back in. I was then able to get it to the local General RV, who had the problem diagnosed and approved for repairs (outside of the expedited shipping of parts...apparently shipping of parts traditional freight has been slow lately and we need unit back by next Wed), within a day of drop off of trailer.

Grade A-on Prime Time's help in getting me back up and running. I sent my Coach-Net invoice into Rick via email, and within an hour he sent an email saying payment is being processed and back to me for reimbursement within 3-weeks. All in all very, very happy with the response and direction I have gotten from Prime Time and Forest River/Coach Net.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

That is fantastic service by PT. Reading stories like this makes me very happy to own a PT product.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
That is fantastic service by PT. Reading stories like this makes me very happy to own a PT product.
X2

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide