RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Tracer Air 250 Slide scraping floor.

Hello All,

First I'd like to say great Forum! I purchased my first "new to me" travel trailer on Oct 31st and picked it up a week later. It had a few minor issues wiring, adjustments etc, and I found answer to all but one of the issues on this site! So Thank you!

The one last issue I have is with the slide/kitchen cabinet.
When the slide is almost all the way in the front right bottom corner of the kitchen cabinet scrapes the floor.

This looks like a fairly recent issue as the piece of flooring that was pulled up was still fully intact when I first looked at the trailer. From then until now the slide has gone in/out maybe 10 times and the piece of flooring is showing wear.

At the dealer the stabilizers were NOT down and the trailer was not level.
At my home I have only put the slide in/out with the trailer level, wheels chocked, and stabilizers down.

Kitchen cabinets seem in good shape, no water damage, seem level, nothing rolls around, can't see any screws loose inside the cabinet.

I've included some pictures though can take more from any angle you'd like.

It is a Schwintec slide.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to check next to resolve this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Scrape from above kitchen on right.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	243319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Scrape from above standing by Dinette.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	243320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Scrape from Dinette.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	243321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Scrape bottom corner of kitchen cabinet that hits floors.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	243322  
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 8,079
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You pic to me does not look like the cabinet is the problem but rather maybe there is something under the vinyl that has caused the ware mark. I would get it in to the dealer and have them fix the problem.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsured View Post
Hello All,

First I'd like to say great Forum! I purchased my first "new to me" travel trailer on Oct 31st and picked it up a week later. It had a few minor issues wiring, adjustments etc, and I found answer to all but one of the issues on this site! So Thank you!

The one last issue I have is with the slide/kitchen cabinet.
When the slide is almost all the way in the front right bottom corner of the kitchen cabinet scrapes the floor.

This looks like a fairly recent issue as the piece of flooring that was pulled up was still fully intact when I first looked at the trailer. From then until now the slide has gone in/out maybe 10 times and the piece of flooring is showing wear.

At the dealer the stabilizers were NOT down and the trailer was not level.
At my home I have only put the slide in/out with the trailer level, wheels chocked, and stabilizers down.

Kitchen cabinets seem in good shape, no water damage, seem level, nothing rolls around, can't see any screws loose inside the cabinet.

I've included some pictures though can take more from any angle you'd like.

It is a Schwintec slide.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to check next to resolve this issue?

Get yourself a set of Slideout Slickers from AP Products #013-410051

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...5803928&sr=8-7


We had the same problem because our kitchen slide is so heavy it kept "going out of adjustment".
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Get yourself a set of Slideout Slickers from AP Products #013-410051

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...5803928&sr=8-7


We had the same problem because our kitchen slide is so heavy it kept "going out of adjustment".
Hello,

I was looking at this though I was worried the additional height would cause the face plate of the cabinets to be pulled away as the slide was going out, or at least the Formica fronts.

Is yours also caused by wood cabinets hitting the floor once the slide is pulled all the way in?
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You pic to me does not look like the cabinet is the problem but rather maybe there is something under the vinyl that has caused the ware mark. I would get it in to the dealer and have them fix the problem.
It was a 2014 as-is purchase so the repair are on me.

The floor is nice and flat, no bowing etc I took a long level laid it across the floor and ran a light behind it. Was level all the way from the dinette to the kitchen cabinet.

Seems like the slide is leaning in/down meaning the inside of the slide is lower than the outside.

The counter is level when the slide is out I'll have to also check when it is in to see if it is still level.
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 156
One corner of our slide does this. We took a square of some scrap carpet we had laying around and turned it upside down. Now we watch the slide come in and just before the corner starts to run we place the carpet square down on the vynal flooring fuzzy side down. Then bring the slide the rest of the way in. Stops the slide corner from marring the floor. Works for us.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
One corner of our slide does this. We took a square of some scrap carpet we had laying around and turned it upside down. Now we watch the slide come in and just before the corner starts to run we place the carpet square down on the vynal flooring fuzzy side down. Then bring the slide the rest of the way in. Stops the slide corner from marring the floor. Works for us.
Thank you! This sounds like a winner. I have some carpet squares laying around that I could use.

How long have you been doing this?
Seen any signs it may be causing issues somewhere else?
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 579
Check to see there is not a screw sticking out bottom of cabinet.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Check to see there is not a screw sticking out bottom of cabinet.
The bottom is smooth, well as smooth as the end of particle board gets.
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Connellsville, Pa
Posts: 12
I have a 2017 forester MBS with a full wall slide. A short time after I got it I noticed two depressions just starting in the flooring in similar positions as your pictures show. It seems the only thing that holds the slide up on mine were two small (2Ēx5Ē) shoes that the slide rides on as it comes in. A third in the bed room but out of sight. The shoes only had a piece of carpet stapled on the bottoms for the slide to ride on. They are actually up off the floor when the slide is out. Went to Walmart and found 3x5 felt pads with peel back adhesives. Stuck them to the shoes and have had no more issues. Been a while but I think I may have used two on each. Tried with small furniture movers first just to test slide. Also same slide system you have. If your floor is too rough, may be too late for anything but the sliders as already shown. They are also a great idea, good luck.
bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
I have a 2017 forester MBS with a full wall slide. A short time after I got it I noticed two depressions just starting in the flooring in similar positions as your pictures show. It seems the only thing that holds the slide up on mine were two small (2Ēx5Ē) shoes that the slide rides on as it comes in. A third in the bed room but out of sight. The shoes only had a piece of carpet stapled on the bottoms for the slide to ride on. They are actually up off the floor when the slide is out. Went to Walmart and found 3x5 felt pads with peel back adhesives. Stuck them to the shoes and have had no more issues. Been a while but I think I may have used two on each. Tried with small furniture movers first just to test slide. Also same slide system you have. If your floor is too rough, may be too late for anything but the sliders as already shown. They are also a great idea, good luck.
Hi bowler,

Thank you for the response. It sounds like you have a great fix. Like you stated the corners of my kitchen cabinet are also a good inch + off the floor when the slide is out. I am not sure what you mean by shoes. I've noticed there are rollers under my slide, are the shoes on top of the rollers?

We'd like to replace the floors in the future though we'd like to make sure we're not going to tear a hole in them.

if at all possible would you be able to post some pictures of where you placed the felt pads?
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsured View Post
Hello,

I was looking at this though I was worried the additional height would cause the face plate of the cabinets to be pulled away as the slide was going out, or at least the Formica fronts.

Is yours also caused by wood cabinets hitting the floor once the slide is pulled all the way in?
No. Ours was caused by the weight of the refrigerator on that corner of the slide. It was the floor of the slide scraping the main floor as it went in & out.

Looks like bowler has a great idea. One of those small felt furniture sliders glued up under that leading edge might work well.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Connellsville, Pa
Posts: 12
Shoes are small blocks on inside slide bottom that were made to slide on floor with thin carpet. It just wasnít enough cushion when the slide came in. My rollers are mounted on outside edge of floor. The slide is made to slide directly on the floor surface. I had slight depressions just starting on floor. Cheap fix so far and two years old. Will try to get some pictures at you.
bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Sounds like your slide may function a bit different than mine though I dont see why the felt pads would work.

The issue is friction and the pads should decrease the friction.
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
I ended up trimming down a furniture pad that would normally be used for couch legs. I stuck it on the bottom of the kitchen cabinet and so far so good. Thank you for all the input.

I'm still a bit concerned as to why it would hit the floor while the slide is in though about 2 inches off the floor when the slide is out. I'll just keep an eye on it and it gets any worse I'll be back for more advice!
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 30
Slide scraping floor.

My Georgetown is doing the same thing. Extend your slide and look underneath. Are the rollers digging into the bottom of the slide? Thatís what is happening to mine. There is another good post on this forum if that is causing marks on your floor.
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
mitsured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue View Post
My Georgetown is doing the same thing. Extend your slide and look underneath. Are the rollers digging into the bottom of the slide? Thatís what is happening to mine. There is another good post on this forum if that is causing marks on your floor.
Thanks for the info I'll take a look at mine in the morning.

You wouldn't happen to know title of the other post on this forum?
mitsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:14 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 30
Floor Delamination

The post is by Milman and I think the title is something like slide delamination or slide exfoliation. It is a very recent thread.
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:01 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 30
Link to Slide Out Thread

Here is a link to the thread:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-new-post.html
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
250, adjustment, floor, repair, slide, slideout, tracer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.