Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer width with slide out?

I am in the process of purchasing a Tracer 3150 and I am looking for the total width of the trailer with the slides out. I am curious if I can open the slides in my parking spot at home. It's pretty tight but I think I might be able to if I park it perfectly. Anyone want to measure theirs for me? There are no dealerships with one around here.

Thanks!
lvnthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #2

I just checked our slide comes out 32.75". It's not exactly the same as yours but it's a starting point.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF5.4 View Post
I just checked our slide comes out 32.75". It's not exactly the same as yours but it's a starting point.

So that makes it 10'9" total width for the trailer. That is almost exactly what I have for width in the parking area. So on to the next question. Is it OK to only partially open the slides for a day or two in preparation/while loading?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnthenw View Post
So on to the next question. Is it OK to only partially open the slides for a day or two in preparation/while loading?
IMO, I would not do that. From what I understand Your slide is not supposed to be walked on unless it is out. At least you need to keep it to a bare minimum and stay off the edge of the slide. Also your seals will not be, well sealed. So if you have rain, that could be a problem or critters getting into your camper.

I would think and I have put the slides partially out temporarily while we have loaded/unloaded the camper. But I didn't leave it that way over night.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #5

Not sure I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
IMO, I would not do that. From what I understand Your slide is not supposed to be walked on unless it is out. At least you need to keep it to a bare minimum and stay off the edge of the slide. Also your seals will not be, well sealed. So if you have rain, that could be a problem or critters getting into your camper.

I would think and I have put the slides partially out temporarily while we have loaded/unloaded the camper. But I didn't leave it that way over night.
I guess I do not have a full understanding of how the slide works. I didn't realize that it wasn't fully supported when it isn't all the way in or all the way out. It seems to me it would be able to carry weight at any point along it's travel. Also, I was under the impression that at least the top and side seals where on the outside edge and acted kind of like a wiper seal. It seems like what you are describing, the seals would have to be on the inside edge of the slide as it hits the limit upon full extension. That wouldn't make any sense at all as water would pool there and get into the wall.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

I think the main worry with the slide not all the way out is putting weight on the floor edge. If you watch the slide will rock back a little lifting the leading edge. There is no support under the edge until it is fully extended. At least that is the way mine works.

All the campers I've had are not sealed unless the slides are completely open or completely closed. I do have the seals outside, they only have pressure on them and sealed when the slide is fully closed. I also have seals on the inside of the slides and only have pressure on them and sealed when the slide is fully open.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I haven't had one with a slide so most of my limited understanding comes from observation of trailers I have been in. Definitely helps.

Quote:
I think the main worry with the slide not all the way out is putting weight on the floor edge. If you watch the slide will rock back a little lifting the leading edge. There is no support under the edge until it is fully extended. At least that is the way mine works.

All the campers I've had are not sealed unless the slides are completely open or completely closed. I do have the seals outside, they only have pressure on them and sealed when the slide is fully closed. I also have seals on the inside of the slides and only have pressure on them and sealed when the slide is fully open.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
I think the main worry with the slide not all the way out is putting weight on the floor edge.
I would think this would apply even with the slide fully closed. On my TT the edge is still about a inch above the floor...

No big deal to put it in or out as needed.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

That makes sense... problem is

That makes sense... problem is I can't put it in and out as needed as my rv pad at my house is fairly narrow between my house and fence. (At least now that I built onto the house with secondary garage.

Quote:
I would think this would apply even with the slide fully closed. On my TT the edge is still about a inch above the floor...

No big deal to put it in or out as needed.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

I'm not saying to always put it fully in or fully out. What I'm saying is IMO if you don't put it all the way out, be very careful when putting any weight, especially on the edge of the slide.

Also I would not leave it partially open position for any extended time (Overnight).
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #11

I would agree with Road-King. I have 2 slides in the main area. in between the slides I have an island that they close up to. It is impossible for us to get in the refer to get anything out at a rest stop. We always bump it out about 24" so we can get in the refer. With that said I do not sit or walk in that area because it will be about 2'' higher then the main floor area. When you extend your slide it rock's up to clear the floor and then rock's back to even the slide to the main floor when extended. If it is adjusted right your slide and the floor will be even when extended. It is correct when you bump it out the only seal will be that flex rubber on the top and sides but that will keep the rain out for a short period of time................
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote