Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Unhooking 5th wheel

We have a Curt E 16K 5th wheel hitch.
When I am ready to disengage the release lever doesn't pull smoothly. Each time I have to mess with it. Jiggle it by moving the truck an inch or two back and forth, and adjusting the front stabilizer jacks. I applied axel grease a month back. Should I do that again or spray a WD 40 product around the pin? Swearing hasn't helped nor any sweet talk! It just shouldn't be such a hassle! thanks!!

2005 K-2500 Silverado 8.1L 6 speed Allison
Midwestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestgirl View Post
We have a Curt E 16K 5th wheel hitch.
When I am ready to disengage the release lever doesn't pull smoothly. Each time I have to mess with it. Jiggle it by moving the truck an inch or two back and forth, and adjusting the front stabilizer jacks. I applied axel grease a month back. Should I do that again or spray a WD 40 product around the pin? Swearing hasn't helped nor any sweet talk! It just shouldn't be such a hassle! thanks!!
Once front stabs are down on our 5er and the pin has just lifted off the plate just a touch I slightly back the truck up till I feel it bump then the handle pulls easily every time.

We have the same hitch.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I raise the pin box about 1/8", shift to neutral, let the truck settle, set the emergency brake and unlatch. Works great for me.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Yes, I do watch for the separation for about an inch or less. I will back it flush next time as suggested and then pull. Or put in neutral and use emergency brake as suggested. We are moving to a really neat site on Friday morning so will try your suggestions. Should I be greasing the plate...how often? Or what product do you suggest? Thanks...

Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
I began a new thread. I don't have the lube plate but if I should I will get one!
Much cleaner, takes way longer than grease to wear out it will not wash off like grease can in the rain.

It was the first thing I bought from the dealers parts dept.

Get one if you like or keep putting grease on your hitch.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes, I do watch for the separation for about an inch or less. I will back it flush next time as suggested and then pull. Or put in neutral and use emergency brake as suggested. We are moving to a really neat site on Friday morning so will try your suggestions. Should I be greasing the plate...how often? Or what product do you suggest? Thanks...
You should always set the emergency brake if you have the truck in anything but Park and leave the cab.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

So...by now the guys fully understand I'm a novice with a 5th wheel. No worries, I will learn to manage the rig fine! If I get a lube plate where do I put it? Under the pin? Or is this installed by a tech? How often should I replace it? What's the general consensus on lube plates verses greasing? I'm willing to try anything that makes this process easier for me. Thank you.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Steve & Phyllis

We have always used the lube plate. We just leave ours on the kingpin.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
The lube plate just presses over the pin. No big deal. Lube plates work great and eliminate the need to mess with grease which will eventually make it to your clothes, jackets, hands, head and what ever else touches the pin, king pin plate or all the associated parts. Don't leave home without it!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I raise the pin box about 1/8", shift to neutral, let the truck settle, set the emergency brake and unlatch. Works great for me.
2X......
as stated above, it takes the pressure off the hitch/pin in neutral.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
So...by now the guys fully understand I'm a novice with a 5th wheel. No worries, I will learn to manage the rig fine! If I get a lube plate where do I put it? Under the pin? Or is this installed by a tech? How often should I replace it? What's the general consensus on lube plates verses greasing? I'm willing to try anything that makes this process easier for me. Thank you.
The one I bought just slips onto the pin and is held in place by little fingers that grip the pin.
If you look at the one I posted you will see it works the same way.
You can DIY if you wish, when hooked up the pin will keep it in place.

I do not know how long they will last, but they are way cleaner.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
We have always used the lube plate. We just leave ours on the kingpin.

Clean off all the grease on the pin and hitch plate. Install the lube plate on the pin (may have to tap it in place & it will stay in place) Now, get rid of the laundry bleach cause you won't get grease on your clothes any more.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #13

Your advice is well received. I will find a plate this week, we are in Laughlin. Or have my son bring one in 2 weeks when he flies out to visit. I am reading all your helpful replies to my husband and he is VERY appreciative of your knowledge and willingness to share with us. We pulled TT for years and everything was smooth sailing. In trying to reach our selling dealer a few times with questions I felt like I was taking up his time. He told me to call anytime for help, that was BEFORE I wrote the check! So, many thanks tonight, I am feeling more confident now that I know exactly what to expect and you guys are here for back up support.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #14

Midwestgirl,
I am in Las Vegas for the winter so if you need any assistance give me a PM. A ride to Laughlin is a fun day.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
You said you look for a separation of "an inch or less" - I almost wonder if you're shooting for too much separation. As OldCoot said, you only need 1/8"-1/4" (e.g. just seeing daylight between them). You're not looking for a lot of space.

Another vote for a lube plate. No mess, no fuss and it'll last for years. They're usually $15 or so from RV stores.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

Get a quality plate like Reese for example. I damaged one of mine and replaced it with a no name brand and it didn't last 2 months. There are some very cheap ones out there.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #17

Sounds good on buying a quality plate and sounds good on separating enough to see light! 1/8 to 1/4 inch! And okay Rebel702 for a road trip if I need help. WOW! Thanks!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #18

I use a lube plate to but remember it does absolutely nothing to help the jaw and pin for lubrication that's a big wear point. I do put a little grease on my king pin. Chock the tires both sides now Just lower the landing gear making sure they are even till you see a small gap between the plates about 1/2 inch to much gap puts the king pin in a bind with the jaw . You should be able to rock the trucks fifth wheel plate side to side and front to back about a half inch or so, if its not in a bind. If it's in a bind just shift to N than back to park and check the plate agian. I had a low bed service for years and have been playing with this stuff a long time. (GREASE YOUR PIN)
Old 11-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #19

I have a Curt Q 20, mine has several grease fittings for periodic maintenance. I use a full synthetic grease and it releases good. I had an issue like you described early on and when I got it release I greased it and haven't had any further issues. I also use a lube plate, only grease where it says to. Mine has stickers with arrows pointing to the grease points that make it easy.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #20

Lubing the jaw mechanism is a must to keep smooth operation. I have a pullright and they recommend WD40 for the parts. I used a product called HHS, it sprays on like WD40 and gels up. Creates a nice long lasting barrier.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel