Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
ttg

Window Valence fell from ceiling

I've decided to ask for help with this one and can't do it in 25 words or less. (Sorry) We have a 2014 Crusader 334CKT which we have only pulled about 4,000 miles. On the last trip one of the window valences was laying on the floor when we stopped for the night. The project today was to reinstall this valence but I checked and all of the valences that are screwed into the ceiling are loose. There are 3 screws 1 1/4" long going through 1/2" material that the valence is made of which leaves 3/4" of screw going into the ceiling ( of the slide out ). Not knowing how much space there is in this ceiling between the inside and outside I am being careful of what I do. I'm thinking that plastic screw anchors aren't going to grip the very thin plywood. Butterfly anchors are maybe the right answer but those need room to open.
I'm sure that others must have had this problem. What is the right fix ?
ttg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
sji

This happened to our 334ckt as well but it was the back valence over the sofa. It was not attached to the ceiling, it was attached to the wall and we just used different L brackets and larger and longer screws. I've changed several screw in this trailer, they severely under estimated the length needed to securely hold anything.
sji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

I'm not sure if I can describe this fix accurately, but I'll try. On our last trip in our 8315BSS a towel rack fell off of the bathroom door while enroute. The door, as you can imagine, is very thin material. I repaired the problem by replacing all of the screws with threaded inserts. These are inserted into the screw holes with a special tool that expands the back side of the insert. When the tool is removed it leaves a threaded screw hole in which you can insert a standard machine screw. This works essentially like a pop rivet except that it leaves a threaded hole. I purchased the threaded insert kit from Harbor Freight several months ago and never had occasion to use it until this week when I fixed the towel rack. i can't remember exactly but I believe the whole kit, with 4 different mandrels and an assortment of threaded inserts, was in the neighborhood of $20. I plan to use it frequently as I upgrade and repair various problems in my Rockwood.

BTW, back when I still owned my airplance, I believe that the mechanics refered to a similar fastener as a "riv-nut".

I hope this helps.

Rick

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Another name would be nut-sert.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
ttg

Thanks for the replies. Today I go hunting for "riv-nut" / "nut-sert". If I can find these tools then all of the valences will be secured before the next trip.
ttg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttg View Post
Thanks for the replies. Today I go hunting for "riv-nut" / "nut-sert". If I can find these tools then all of the valences will be secured before the next trip.
let us know what you find, it will probably help us all. Just the road from driving will loosen them screws up enough to fall out. That wall board is like only 1/8" thick in these trailers. You can cut it with a box knife.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

When something came off the wall in our unit (the bottom screw thingy for the pull down window shade mechanism) I took a toothpick, broke it into two pieces, put them in the hole and then carefully held them in place, while I screwed the screw back in. It has held for years.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Here you go. 45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit
Old 06-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

We had one valance, one side only, come off the wall. I applied 3M Command hook and loop tab. It has been up over a year so far. No screws and guess work. That is how I "hang" my photos on the walls in the trailer as well.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote