Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Not having been there in 2016 (but heard the horror stories), I have to say the food in 2017 was not all that bad! Remember they are serving over 2000 meals at a sitting and everyone (except the technicians) wants to eat at the same time, they want it hot, and cooked to their liking, etc.

I doubt there is a restaurant anywhere that could handle that and please everyone.
Your probably right, but you don't have to be genius to change the menus up, especially breakfast, tired of uncooked cheese potatoes and paste like gravey, only went to two dinners, I always like to eat breakfast. I'm glad people enjoyed the food, I didn't, but that's my opinion, I would rather have a pot luck, I have never been disappointed with them, but I also never eat at fast food places either, getting particular what gos in me at my age. " HAVE YOU EVER TASTED JOYCE BREEZE HOMEMADE NOODLES" we have some amazing cooks on this forum, I'm just spoiled.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #122

If it was pot luck dinners I wouldn’t go, I don’t care for pot luck dinners. I thought the food wasn’t bad for the number of people they served. Me and DW enjoy eating out, DW is retired just like me and I try to get her out of the kitchen every chance I get.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #123

Pot luck would be awesome.
LOTS of all-you-can-eat Buffet restaurants have figured out how to serve a large number of folks in a 4 hour window. Seems the FROG issue is trying to do it in 1 hour, which results in 'army food'. The Rally is great. The food makes the price of it too expensive. I've had army food, so we'll just eat at 'home' if we go. I do wonder what would happen if they had this Rally with no food at all being incorporated. I bet the attendance would be identical. Visiting with new folks is impossible at meal time anyway.

Just a thought.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If it was pot luck dinners I wouldn’t go, I don’t care for pot luck dinners. I thought the food wasn’t bad for the number of people they served. Me and DW enjoy eating out, DW is retired just like me and I try to get her out of the kitchen every chance I get.
I guess you never attended the Phart Phrog pot luck, hands down the best dinner I ever had in Goshen, (I know I spelled that wrong) so no use telling me.[emoji482]

Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Pot luck would be awesome.
LOTS of all-you-can-eat Buffet restaurants have figured out how to serve a large number of folks in a 4 hour window. Seems the FROG issue is trying to do it in 1 hour, which results in 'army food'. The Rally is great. The food makes the price of it too expensive. I've had army food, so we'll just eat at 'home' if we go. I do wonder what would happen if they had this Rally with no food at all being incorporated. I bet the attendance would be identical. Visiting with new folks is impossible at meal time anyway.

Just a thought.
This is true, I have been to 4 rallies, breakfast is spread out over 2 or 3 hours, no long lines no real waiting, just bad same old eggs, and uncooked cheesy potatoes, dinners use to be good 4 years ago, even had steak servers at your table, no cattle lines but that was before they went to this # of people. Use to have Pete's dinner, it was a dinner to enjoy[emoji482] [emoji120]

Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #126

IMHO the Meals could be eliminated and there would be no difference in the attendance numbers, I went to breakfast twice this year and just walked away. I don't know what it was but it was the same thing the second time i went. the evening meals were just ok after the first nite,when they ran out of food. but the wait and Noise make it not worth while. but for the Rally we had a Wonderful experience and will be trying to get registered again for next year.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
IMHO the Meals could be eliminated and there would be no difference in the attendance numbers, I went to breakfast twice this year and just walked away. I don't know what it was but it was the same thing the second time i went. the evening meals were just ok after the first nite,when they ran out of food. but the wait and Noise make it not worth while. but for the Rally we had a Wonderful experience and will be trying to get registered again for next year.
Second this post

Old 10-31-2017, 08:58 AM   #128

I see other rallies around and the ones I have looked at have pot luck dinners, I like the catered dinners. I just don’t like pot luck food, besides me and DW cooks for two. Besides I didn’t just go for the food. It’s been a long time since I ate with that many people
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #129

Personally I think the included meals are a great plus for the rally. It gives people a chance to meet other RVer’s and build new friendships. I think it would be a mistake to do away with them.

Pot Luck dinners are great but if you are a newbie to the rally and don’t know anyone it would leave those folks with a feeling the rally is all about being part of a clique. As it is some of the pot luck dinners really are about being in a clique.

I thought the food served at the rally was very good this year. Just my 2 cents.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #130
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Personally I think the included meals are a great plus for the rally. It gives people a chance to meet other RVer’s and build new friendships. I think it would be a mistake to do away with them.

Pot Luck dinners are great but if you are a newbie to the rally and don’t know anyone it would leave those folks with a feeling the rally is all about being part of a clique.
I thought the food served at the rally was very good this year. Just my 2 cents.
X 2 but as the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Pot Luck dinners are great but if you are a newbie to the rally and don’t know anyone it would leave those folks with a feeling the rally is all about being part of a clique. As it is some of the pot luck dinners really are about being in a clique.

I like meeting new people and I really tried to eat at a different table every night, well the last night we at at a table with new friends we had met at the rally.

Any night we didn’t like the food or we didn’t want to go back for seconds we had plenty of snacks at the camper. I liked the Rise n Roll Bakery to snack on.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #132

I thought the food was fine. As good or better than many large conventions I've attended at snazzy hotels. And that is for both breakfast and dinner. Having the meals allows for meeting new people, which I think is a major benefit of the rally.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I thought the food was fine. As good or better than many large conventions I've attended at snazzy hotels. And that is for both breakfast and dinner. Having the meals allows for meeting new people, which I think is a major benefit of the rally.

Amen
Old 10-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #134

sometimes noise level at dinner is so high you can't hear those at your table, and hearing any announcements is impossible. food this year much better than last year.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #135

I wonder if there is any army cooks that goes to the rally.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I wonder if there is any army cooks that goes to the rally.
Wonder no more,Army Mess Sgt. Here! Youroo!!
Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #137

We were first timers this year and I was very impressed by the organization of checking in, events, meals, etc. Nicely done. We look forward to returning if possible. One thing I would like to see and also others had mentioned was besides the trips to the factory have something to do for those not taking the trip. I thought having a scavenger hunt throughout the camp including the vendors. Example on your list would be find the vendor wearing a blue ball cap, the host in section C with an orange sticker on their front bumper, etc. It would get people out and about. Just a thought. I know we ran out of ideas of what to do. Didn't know anyone so we couldn't visit.
MoToYel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Wonder no more,Army Mess Sgt. Here! Youroo!!

Would you be willing to make a big batch of SOS at the rally next year? I like it made with ground beef, hamburger. It’s to hard to make for just two people. I would be willing to pay for the ingredients and help you out to make one batch. I know a lot of people don’t like SOS but some like me does.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoToYel View Post
We were first timers this year and I was very impressed by the organization of checking in, events, meals, etc. Nicely done. We look forward to returning if possible. One thing I would like to see and also others had mentioned was besides the trips to the factory have something to do for those not taking the trip. I thought having a scavenger hunt throughout the camp including the vendors. Example on your list would be find the vendor wearing a blue ball cap, the host in section C with an orange sticker on their front bumper, etc. It would get people out and about. Just a thought. I know we ran out of ideas of what to do. Didn't know anyone so we couldn't visit.
MoTo,there are LOTs of "Seminars" to attend all week long! You just have to Plan your Trips/events! I still have Not been able to attend all the Seminars that I want, Too Busy,and you will MEET lots of People if you Volunteer also! Youroo!!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoToYel View Post

My plan next year if I get in is to volunteer more to haul people around on the golf carts, I enjoyed that. I got to meet right many nice people that way

Tags
frog