Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #1601

If you have a new unit that's still under warranty and your dealer is suggesting a visit to the rally for repairs that's passing the buck on his part and pretty crappy. If you aren't interested in the rally then the rally cost is like paying for your repairs yourself. I can see them doing this especially if your rig is going to just sit there for a long time before they have time to repair it.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #1602
Who Dares, Wins

It is not cheap, but neither is Disney... Somethings are worth it, even if just once, for the experience. This is why we are coming. May never go to another one, who knows, but we will enjoy the experience.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It is not cheap, but neither is Disney... Somethings are worth it, even if just once, for the experience. This is why we are coming. May never go to another one, who knows, but we will enjoy the experience.
X2
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #1604

Quote:

I see it the same way. I am having warranty work (exterior paint) which will be done at the plant, before or after Goshen, but I’ve heard so much , we want to try it. Maybe this will be our only time or maybe more will come. Lets enjoy the moment.
Pipcoo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #1605

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Well.. my feeling are, if it slowed interest of the people only was concerned about free service... good. More room for people who want to have a good time.

Tim
That is why I went. People are the greatest rally asset.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #1606
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
If you have a new unit that's still under warranty and your dealer is suggesting a visit to the rally for repairs that's passing the buck on his part and pretty crappy. If you aren't interested in the rally then the rally cost is like paying for your repairs yourself. I can see them doing this especially if your rig is going to just sit there for a long time before they have time to repair it.

If the warranty is from Forest River, then the dealer should still be making money on the repairs. He would just be obtaining payment from FR instead of the customer.

If he is referring the customer to the Rally, to get the repairs directly from FR, my first thought would be that somehow the dealer thinks that would be of benefit to the customer.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #1607

I agree but I don't believe the dealer will pay for the rally. So that cost would be from the customer. From what I've heard service departments are overwhelmed with repairs. It was all hypothetical and stemmed from a previous comment.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #1608
PhD, Common Sense

Of course the dealer won’t pay at the rally.

Either way, FR bears the cost.

In what way would the dealer benefit from referring the customer to the rally. He won’t. So he did the customer a favor.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #1609

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
I think the $100 a night without a guarantee of full hookups and no service for older rigs has slowed the interest to attend. Even so, I think eventually it will be a sell-out. I think the real surprise is there are still some tours available.
If anybody looks at it as $100 per night for camping, they are not thinking about...

Seminars...free for you, but somebody has to contact folks to put them on, and make all the arrangements with the presenters.

Meals...4 dinners X 2 people and 6 breakfasts X 2 people.

Ice cream...ask FROG Bob. I guarantee that HE doesn't think the daily ice cream social is "free"

Factory tours...free for you, but somebody has to pay for the buses and drivers that transport everybody on those factory tours.

Entertainment...free for you, but the band doesn't donate its service. To them, this is a job.

Fairgrounds...not only does FR pay for the camping spots, but pays for building rental for Building A, the use of the seminar pavilions, the vendor building, the "Ag Hall (Service Center) and more.

RV display...free for you, but the guys who move the trailers in and out from the various factories get paid. (And before you say "yeah, but FR makes money if they sell a unit...yes, they do, but they still have to pay to have all of those units moved, twice.)

Pump-out service...free for you, but somebody has to pay Cripes.

No service on older models...Consider this: 2016s are now 4-year-old units. Tell me who else provides service on 4 year old units? Everybody bitched when FR quit "selling" a second-year warranty, but here they are, providing service on a 4 year old trailer.

Service techs...yes, they would be getting paid anyway, if they were back working in their regular plants. So, production is suffering while they spend a week at the fairgrounds. And, they have lunch provided as a reward for busting their a$$e$ all day. Guess who pays for that?

If someone thinks the $600 rally fee pays only for his or her camping, and he or she is being overcharged at that price, he or she obviously hasn't thought about everything else that goes into putting the International Rally together.

And just as a point of interest: Passport America is having a rally in Nashville in June. FIVE (5) nights of electric/water camping (no sewers available, and no pump-out service), 3 dinners, donuts/coffee each morning, no ice cream, no "Sweet Corn Charley", no service on ANY MODEL YEAR RV. No RV display, no factory tours, and you have to pay for all optional tours (Grand Old Opry, Hermitage, etc.) 2 people in an RV - 30 amp $395, 50 amp - $430. Oh, yeah, and if you want to go to this one, YOU HAVE TO PAY TO JOIN PASSPORT AMERICA.

Just my two cents' worth.

And, yes, ManlyMan, I think it will ultimately sell out, because, as B & B said, the people, the friendships you will make (and already have made) are what's really great about this rally.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #1610

Capt. Mike : X2 to the power of 1K
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #1611
Director, FROG

Just back from the Tadpole Rally this evening. Gary and Joyce Breeze (Youroo and Mrs. Youroo) once again did an outstanding job of putting together a terrific event on the banks of the Ohio River.

Camping, potlucks, Cinco de Mayo dinner, crafts, wine tasting, karaoke, bean bag tournament and more made for a great weekend, and some rain did nothing to dampen anyone's spirits or to water down the fun.

As for Goshen, there are currently about 65 spots available, and I'll be adding the last 50 or so tomorrow. I'll also be sending out an e-mail blast, because there are a lot of us who don't follow the forums, Facebook, or the FROG website and who might be assuming that we're full.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #1612

Well said Captain Mike!!!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #1613
Who Dares, Wins

So we go from betting on how fast it will sell out to betting on IF it will sell out..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
If anybody looks at it as $100 per night for camping, they are not thinking about...

Seminars...free for you, but somebody has to contact folks to put them on, and make all the arrangements with the presenters.

Ice cream...ask FROG Bob. I guarantee that HE doesn't think the daily ice cream social is "free"

Factory tours...free for you, but somebody has to pay for the buses and drivers that transport everybody on those factory tours.

Entertainment...free for you, but the band doesn't donate its service. To them, this is a job.

Fairgrounds...not only does FR pay for the camping spots, but pays for building rental for Building A, the use of the seminar pavilions, the vendor building, the "Ag Hall (Service Center) and more.

RV display...free for you, but the guys who move the trailers in and out from the various factories get paid. (And before you say "yeah, but FR makes money if they sell a unit...yes, they do, but they still have to pay to have all of those units moved, twice.)

No service on older models...Consider this: 2016s are now 4-year-old units. Tell me who else provides service on 4 year old units? Everybody bitched when FR quit "selling" a second-year warranty, but here they are, providing service on a 4 year old trailer.

Service techs...yes, they would be getting paid anyway, if they were back working in their regular plants. So, production is suffering while they spend a week at the fairgrounds. And, they have lunch provided as a reward for busting their a$$e$ all day. Guess who pays for that?

If someone thinks the $600 rally fee pays only for his or her camping, and he or she is being overcharged at that price, he or she obviously hasn't thought about everything else that goes into putting the International Rally together.

And just as a point of interest: Passport America is having a rally in Nashville in June. FIVE (5) nights of electric/water camping (no sewers available, and no pump-out service), 3 dinners, donuts/coffee each morning, no ice cream, no "Sweet Corn Charley", no service on ANY MODEL YEAR RV. No RV display, no factory tours, and you have to pay for all optional tours (Grand Old Opry, Hermitage, etc.) 2 people in an RV - 30 amp $395, 50 amp - $430. Oh, yeah, and if you want to go to this one, YOU HAVE TO PAY TO JOIN PASSPORT AMERICA.

And, yes, ManlyMan, I think it will ultimately sell out, because, as B & B said, the people, the friendships you will make (and already have made) are what's really great about this rally.
Nice response Mike. ...but like they say...For those who get it, no explanation is necessary...for those who don't, no explanation is sufficient.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #1615

Quote:

You can add in the cost of all the golf carts and gas, all the registration paperwork that’s generated and provided to each of us. There are probably 50 more things that together make up that cost. Ever camp at an amusement park like Cedar Point, $100 a night gets you a full hookup site, period. Then you have tickets and food for the day...you can ring up a buck fifty per person per day easily...and, you don’t have 799 fellow FROGs with ya...
Old 05-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #1616

Quote:
So we go from betting on how fast it will sell out to betting on IF it will sell out..
I strongly feel it will be sold out again this year. I am going this year most likely won't next year, planning to go west for most of next summer.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekflyers View Post
You can add in the cost of all the golf carts and gas, all the registration paperwork that’s generated and provided to each of us. There are probably 50 more things that together make up that cost. Ever camp at an amusement park like Cedar Point, $100 a night gets you a full hookup site, period. Then you have tickets and food for the day...you can ring up a buck fifty per person per day easily...and, you don’t have 799 fellow FROGs with ya...
Thanks mkekflyers, for reminding me of a few more things that go into the cost of putting on the rally. And I'm pretty sure a hundred+ golf carts, rented for a week, can't be cheap.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #1618

Think if FROG had to have a paid staff to replace the volunteers, plus where could they possibly find a staff as smart and friendly as Bob and Cindy has right now
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #1619
Censored Member

Quote:
All I said was it has slowed interest in attending.
Some of the seminars are great but many are seminars are put on by the vendors hawking their wares. I could be wrong but I'd bet the vendors have to pay Forest River to have a booth at the rally.
4 dinners in a metal building with 1600 people is something to be endured rather than enjoyed. The noise level is incredible. The breakfasts aren't very good either.
A SWEET deal for sure.
Limited factory brands and limited availability.
Excellent! I like live entertainment.
Wait a minute, isn't that what the $600 registration fee pays?
I'm sure this cost of this comes right out of the marketing budget. The RV show is an attempt to sell more RVs.
You keep saying "free for you" but surely the $100 a night pays for something. 700 RVs times $600 equals $420,000.00.
Many of those 2016 units weren't even bought until 2017 so not really 4 years old.
Service techs...yes, they would be getting paid anyway, if they were back working in their regular plants. So, production is suffering while they spend a week at the fairgrounds. And, they have lunch provided as a reward for busting their a$$e$ all day. Guess who pays for that? OK, my guess is the tip jar helps pay for that.

I never said it only pays for camping. I was merely pointing out that without service and only a guarantee of water and 30 amp electric, interest to attend might not be what it was in other years.
Again, I didn't say the rally isn't worth $100 a night just that with the $600 registration fee interest might begin to wane. And who the heck is this Sweet Corn Charlie?

It seems to me most of the friendships were formed on this forum and solidified at the rally.
Since I seemed to have stepped on some toes with my thoughts about the rally this will be my last post on this thread.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #1620
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
Since I seemed to have stepped on some toes with my thoughts about the rally this will be my last post on this thread.
Now wait a minute... You don't get to post an opinion and leave when someone disagrees with you.

What it comes down to is one thing and one thing only...

Do you feel you get a value for your $600?

I get a week of using Elkhart as my base-camp while I take in all of what Upper Indiana has to offer (and let me tell you, there's quite a lot to see and do). I get a week of fantastic times with my 3-times-a-year friends from all over the country that I wouldn't even know if I never attended the rally. I get food, that if not something Wolfgang would put on the table at Spago, at least was reasonably decent and I didn't have to make it. I get information and insight to the proper way to do things RV wise. I get to see new products. Not just see, but get my hands on them. I get a beautiful campground that was just made for walking thru on a pleasant evening. I get people who try there very level best to make sure I have a good time. I get all that a so much more. To me its more than worth the cost.

Now, for you... You may only view it in terms of did you get as much you would have gotten had you dropped $600 on something else? Maybe a couple NFL game tickets? A weekend in NY with a hotel and a show? A 1992 Ford Escort? Only you can answer that. It's clear that you do not feel its worth the cost. That's fine. I don't think baseball tickets are worth the cost (unless they are free, and then it's still close).

There are many who feel they don't get their money's worth unless they get their free service at the rally. We have all seen the people pulling out on Wednesday after they get their rigs worked on. I could care less, and would GLADLY drop my $600 on the rally even if service was not offered. In fact, I actually think I would prefer just doing away with the free service thing all together. That way we wouldn't have all the people complaining about it anymore.

And to correct your most glaring error, interest most definitely is NOT slowing down in the rally (because of service restrictions or otherwise). I spoke with FrogBob at the tadpole rally, and he said that if it hadn't been for the credit card glitch, the Rally would have sold out in about 4 hours. In fact, the glitch happened due to the huge demand in people trying to get in. Like I said before, if people are now avoiding the rally because they cant get their free service, it simply opens it up to more people who want to be at the Rally for the Rally.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog