Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #981
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsauer1 View Post
It's a beautiful coach.
Looked like it from the photos I was looking at
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
Old 05-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #982
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769
As I understand it, you will need to let the Fairground know when you are coming in and pay the fees for the early arrival. They will notify Bob and the parking crew so we know to look for ya when you arrive.
A big part of the reason that we ask you to let the Fairgrounds know about early arrival is that it helps us to know where to park you. Especially with our coming in right after the fair ends, there might be some areas that aren't set up yet on Thursday. If we know you're coming in early, we can assign you to an area that we know will be ready, and not have to make last minute adjustments at the gate when you show up unexpectedly.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 05-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #983
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
More information should be available shortly. The Survival Tips thread should be still valid and any changes will be posted there.

It's really important to contact Bob Byrne at Forest River Owners Group (Username here - F.R.O.G.) if you have any special needs regarding to parking. Handicap parking is close to the main events and dining but most are not sewer hookups. Wheel Chair bound folks need to be identified so they can be parked near paving. ONLY Bob can approve special parking needs. WE have nothing to do with the Rally. It is a FROG event.

Order of arrival will not get you special consideration, as parking spots are pre-assigned and the Rally is FULL.

The only time order of arrival means anything is if you are parking in the "Hobo" (one after the next) areas. If you want to park with your friends, plan on meeting at a location other than the Fairgrounds, then arrive together.
Adding to what Herk said, please let us know in advance if you plan to try to park with a friend, and give us his or her name so that we can assign you parking in the same area. It's a lot easier to do that in advance than to make last minute assignment changes at the gate.

Also please note that this is intended for two or three units asking to park together, not for huge groups.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #984

food questions

First timer here again. Some more questions:

1. What do people do about dinner on Tuesday & Thursday evenings? On other trips we usually cook in our rig, but wouldn't want to miss any group opportunities.

2. Are there any fast food vendors (burgers, pizza, etc.) at the rally site?

3. We're thinking of having lunch one day at the Essenhaus in Middlebury. Any thoughts, advice, or alternate suggestions?

Thanks to Lou and Laura for all you contributions.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #985

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuff View Post

1. What do people do about dinner on Tuesday & Thursday evenings? On other trips we usually cook in our rig, but wouldn't want to miss any group opportunities.

3. We're thinking of having lunch one day at the Essenhaus in Middlebury. Any thoughts, advice, or alternate suggestions?

If by chance you go on one of the tours those days lot have meals planned in, if not there are usually a few pot lucks scattered around the fairgrounds.

No fast food on the grounds but there are a few close by but not walking distance.

A lot like Das Essenhause but the Blue Gate in Shipesswana is also very good, trust me there are plenty of good places to eat in the area, one FROG favorite is Flippin Cow in Elkhart.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #986
Site Team

My responses in red.

Quote:

1. What do people do about dinner on Tuesday & Thursday evenings? On other trips we usually cook in our rig, but wouldn't want to miss any group opportunities. We eat in Goshen or Middlebury or Shipshewanna or Napanee, etc. We don't hang around the fairgrounds all day every day. We see some sites and eat some local chow.

2. Are there any fast food vendors (burgers, pizza, etc.) at the rally site? Not that I've ever seen.

3. We're thinking of having lunch one day at the Essenhaus in Middlebury. Any thoughts, advice, or alternate suggestions? Here's my alternate advice: change the "one day" to "more than one day".

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 05-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #987
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
A lot like Das Essenhause but the Blue Gate in Shipesswana is also very good, trust me there are plenty of good places to eat in the area, one FROG favorite is Flippin Cow in Elkhart.
+1 on the Blue Gate. We thought it was much better than the Essenhaus. And the Rise'n Roll Bakery has very good breakfasts...and excellent Amish "crack"...
Old 05-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #988

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
+1 on the Blue Gate. We thought it was much better than the Essenhaus. And the Rise'n Roll Bakery has very good breakfasts...and excellent Amish "crack"...

For the first-timers coming to Goshen, "Amish crack" refers to the melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon-and-sugar-coated donuts that are a specialty of Rise 'n Roll Bakery (Hwy 20, half-way between Middlebury and Shipshewana). They really ARE delicious and pretty much addictive.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #989

Quote:

RVBuff, if you are thinking about Das Essenhaus, there is no dinner at the rally on Thursday evening. There will be an old car cruise-in on the grounds of Das Essenhaus on Thursday evening. Usually draws a big crowd of great restored vintage cars, so that might be a good evening to have dinner there and catch the car show.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
A big part of the reason that we ask you to let the Fairgrounds know about early arrival is that it helps us to know where to park you. Especially with our coming in right after the fair ends, there might be some areas that aren't set up yet on Thursday. If we know you're coming in early, we can assign you to an area that we know will be ready, and not have to make last minute adjustments at the gate when you show up unexpectedly.
Will do. I was thinking more about issues of showing up Saturday if home issues permitted instead of Sunday...
Totally understand about getting there on Thursday!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 05-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #991

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Will do. I was thinking more about issues of showing up Saturday if home issues permitted instead of Sunday...
Totally understand about getting there on Thursday!
Sailor Sam, Saturday would be good.

If even half of the attendees - 400 units - showed up on Sunday, that would mean that we would be trying to get one RV checked in and parked every minute-and-a-half, all day. Parking operations normally run from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, but on Sunday, we shut down for about an hour and a half (roughly 5:00 to 6:30) so the parking crew can go and enjoy the opening dinner with the rest of the attendees.

For everyone: If you arrive late on Sunday afternoon, and the parking team has gone to dinner, just leave your unit in the front parking lot by Gate 2, and come enjoy dinner in Building A (the biggest building on the fairgrounds...just ask or follow the crowd if you aren't familiar with the location.) After dinner, the parking team will return to work. Come back to your unit after you eat and we'll get you parked where you should be.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #992

I will second the Flippin Cow - worth the drive to Elkhart! Best.burgers.ever!

Looking for italian? try Davinci's In Elkhart - again worth the drive!

Finally, another Elkhart hidden gem is Heinnies - great family owned restaurant and it is virtually "behind" the Berkshire Factory
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #993

Has anyone been to the South Side Soda Shop & Diner in Goshen? A 1950s classic diner. Featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

South Side Soda Shop
Old 05-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
Has anyone been to the South Side Soda Shop & Diner in Goshen? A 1950s classic diner. Featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

South Side Soda Shop
Yes we went there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much, I saw they had a cheese steak on the menu and thought about it as being from the Philly area I like cheese steaks but always afraid to try one away from home, well the waitress told me the owner was also form the Philly area and had his rolls brought it from home daily, so let me say it was very good
Old 05-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Yes we went there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much, I saw they had a cheese steak on the menu and thought about it as being from the Philly area I like cheese steaks but always afraid to try one away from home, well the waitress told me the owner was also form the Philly area and had his rolls brought it from home daily, so let me say it was very good

X 2 what dblr said. I think we've been there two or three years in a row.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #996

Restaurant suggestions

Hey all these tips on places to eat are great! I'm making a list. Many thanks to all. Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #997

Quote:
Hey all these tips on places to eat are great! I'm making a list. Many thanks to all. Keep 'em coming!
Agreed! Keep the eatery suggestions coming and let us know of any must see area attractions!!
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #998

I like the 5&20 diner in Shipsweanna also, we have done breakfast, lunch & dinner and were pleased.
Also heard the fresh made sandwiches at E&S grocery are good also
Old 05-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
X 2 what dblr said. I think we've been there two or three years in a row.
YUP!!!! Best.Dessert.Ever (or afternoon Snack )
Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
Agreed! Keep the eatery suggestions coming and let us know of any must see area attractions!!
Rise'n Roll, Sausage roll with gravy (and a Egg on top) HEAVEN!!
Closed Thread

Tags
frog