Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Positively Petrolia June 6-10, 2019

Registration for the rally in Petrolia Canada is OPEN!. Petrolia, the home of the worlds first drilled oil wells, is conveniently located just east of Sarnia/Port Huron.

We attended the 2017 rally and had a great time. Getting there from the US is easiest going over the Blue Water bridge in Port Huron. Last trip, customs was NOT an issue. Just don't bring any fire arms!

Info on the rally:
June 6-10, 2019
Our base will be the Country View RV Park, where we'll enjoy four nights of full-hookup camping. Sites are limited to 22 units. All are full hookups, but only a few have 50 amps.
During our visit we’ll step back 50 years as we enjoy music and culture from 1969 Kick back and relive the music of The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Elvis, the Guess Who, and more, along with classic TV shows like Hee Haw and Sesame Street, at the beautifully restored Victoria Playhouse Petrolia. Following the show, we'll enjoy dinner at the nearby Actors Restaurant.
We'll cruise the St. Clair River, which carries Great Lakes shipping as part of the connector between Lake Huron and Lake Erie and form a portion of the international border between the United States and Canada, and we'll stop to enjoy lunch along the way.
In addition to the scheduled events, you'll have time to explore Petrolia's rich petroleum history; shop the farmers' market and charming local shops; visit Uncle Tom's Cabin, made famous in Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel of the same name; enjoy the city of Sarnia; stop by Lake Huron; and much more.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Hey Al, Are you going again this year? We got our registration in for this. sounds like a fun weekend to get together with some fellow FROGs. Some that we met last year in Goshen and look forward to seeing again.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

We registered yesterday. Our first rally abroad.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Hey Al, Are you going again this year? We got our registration in for this. sounds like a fun weekend to get together with some fellow FROGs. Some that we met last year in Goshen and look forward to seeing again.
Yup, made our reservation just before starting this thread. Wanted to make sure I had my spot! We didn't go last year, Mike didn't get the rally posted until quite late, so we went to the Amish rally in Ohio instead, then on to Mayberry.

I'm getting low on maple syrup again, I've used up most of the bottle I bought 2 years ago. So I'm definitely heading for the Farmers Market, hoping Mike got the discount coupon again. Major negative this year though - no X-rated outings!

I wonder if Mike got all of the bugs cleaned off the front of his rig? It was really plastered when he showed up in Goshen!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
You'll have a great time. Since this is your first trip over:

1. Check up on what Canada allows to be taken over. Definitely, no firearms or pepper spray! Limits on fresh fruits / vegetables, uncooked food, alcohol, etc.
2. Best crossing for Petrolia is Port Huron. When you get to the Canadian side, you can take any lane. First time, we took the truck lane and were told we should have gone in the general public lanes...
3. Make sure you have proper identification. You can probably get into Canada, but without it, you may not be allowed back!
4. Check the rules on pets!

During your free time, go see the oil history sites. Most don't know that the first oil well was dug in this area.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Yup, made our reservation just before starting this thread. Wanted to make sure I had my spot! We didn't go last year, Mike didn't get the rally posted until quite late, so we went to the Amish rally in Ohio instead, then on to Mayberry.

I'm getting low on maple syrup again, I've used up most of the bottle I bought 2 years ago. So I'm definitely heading for the Farmers Market, hoping Mike got the discount coupon again. Major negative this year though - no X-rated outings!

I wonder if Mike got all of the bugs cleaned off the front of his rig? It was really plastered when he showed up in Goshen!
Well it will be great to see you and your wife again. I heard a lot about the Petrolia rallies but I do believe I missed the story about the X-rated outing. Sounds like I need to ask about it this year sound like a good campfire story.

Well sounds like you got the job as bug inspector. I am sure Mike did some scrubbing though. I sympathize with him though as he just came back from Alberta. We did that trip twice now and it sure beats up the front of the trailer with bugs.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like SailorSam has the border covered but if you have questions ask. We have 4 more border crossings in our travel plans before year end. Actually this will be our first rally attended in Canada the others have been in the U.S.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #8

Tried to sign up yesterday already full. I am on wait list. We really enjoyed the 2018 rally. Mike does a great job. Don't wish anyone bad luck but hope to get lucky and get a spot.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
Tried to sign up yesterday already full. I am on wait list. We really enjoyed the 2018 rally. Mike does a great job. Don't wish anyone bad luck but hope to get lucky and get a spot.
Sorry to hear that. I got an email yesterday fr another couple who is already also on the wait list.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #10

Hi guys,

Missed you at last year’s rally in Goshen. Glad to see that you will be coming to Petrolia, so Gale and Cathy can catch up on quilting. Gale will most likely have her machine and projects with us. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Henry and Gale
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #11

Just finished signing up.got voice mail from Bob and email with link to event bee. Somebody cancelled hope no thing bad caused it. Thinking about coming in early. This will be two weekends in a row of FROG rallies for us, may be the only ones we attend this year. Heading to Washington state soon after.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #12

Our first FROG event! Just registered looking forward to meeting other FROG members and enjoying the events scheduled.
2013 Ford F-150 XTR 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow Package
2022 Flagstaff MicroLite 25FKBS
John-n-Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #13

Looking forward to meeting you folks that just got registered. We are booking our trips leading up to this rally. Currently have at least 40 days, 13,000 km about 8 states and Ontario of travel before we land at this rally.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Looking forward to meeting you folks that just got registered. We are booking our trips leading up to this rally. Currently have at least 40 days, 13,000 km about 8 states and Ontario of travel before we land at this rally.

Where are you headed on the 40 days? We are planning a 20 odd day trip, starting at Tadpole and then out to Mt. Rushmore. Plan to be home for Memorial day here in the US, leaving the weekend for working families...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #15

We are about to head to Yuma AZ. We plan to almost pass your place and head almost straight south to hopefully drive out of this weather. Then we will head west across the south. Likely stop a few days in Texas and a few in Tuscon. We have 9 days booked in Yuma. Then one of our daughters is in Palm's Springs. Will camp out there for a few days and then start heading east and try to stay in the warm zone and head north when hopefully winter is about done here. Then just before the rally we will be up north of Superior where another daughter lives for a few weeks. They have 11 acres of bush so no need for an Rv Park.
Looking forward to just sitting under the awning with a cold beer in the desert.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Four weeks today we’ll be fully immersed!

Don’t take that the wrong way.....but if anyone has been following the weather from all over the place, the common denominator is the amount of rain people have had this year. ENOUGH ALREADY! Even a 🐸 needs a break.

What I mean is we’ll be fully immersed in activities and fun at Petrolia.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing in a great time.
It’s our first time for this rally location, but we know some of the other attendees, and looking forward to making new FROG friends.

1 month, or 4 weeks, or 28 days to go.

Get your gear packed for fun times.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #17

Has anyone seen a schedule of activities? I have some friends in the area and want to pay them a visit while we are in the GWN... Need to know our free time...
Old 05-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #18

We are looking forward to thid rally but didn't realize we would be in the "GWN". Will we need special travel papers for that.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
We are looking forward to this rally but didn't realize we would be in the "GWN". Will we need special travel papers for that.

No special papers to get in. More likely to have problems getting back!

Seriously, if you haven't gone across, there are limits to alcohol, and fresh foods. Current vaccination papers for pets. DO NOT BRING FIREARMS OR BEAR SPRAY. Passport or enhanced drivers license to get home.

Looking forward to another great time!
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
DDC

How many are on the wait list? Wondering if it is worth a try?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote