Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Tires

I have tires on my 5th wheel that calls for 110 lb at cold temp. I would to know if going down the road the pressure goes to 115-120 is that to much?
Carl Hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hargis View Post
I have tires on my 5th wheel that calls for 110 lb at cold temp. I would to know if going down the road the pressure goes to 115-120 is that to much?
No, you should be OK. Tire pressure will increase with temperature increase. Tires are designed with this pressure increase factored in.

That's why you should only normally adjust tire pressures (barring a leak) at cold inflation (which is in the morning, before being driven).

EDIT: This link may help:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=73

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

Thank
Carl Hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

How did you determine 110 PSI is the correct cold pressure? Reason I ask is there are MANY opinions on what is the correct pressure. 110 PSI sounds like it may of come off the sidewall. To me, that would be the correct pressure for tires at maximum load. That is not necessarily the correct pressure for your application, but the worst that will happen is a rougher ride and wear in the center of the thread. That's WAAY better than under inflated!

Another approach would be to weigh the trailer to determine the actual load on the tires and look up the correct pressure(s) in a tire load chart. Weighing the trailer will also confirm the rig is within weight limits and setup/loaded correctly.

Tags
tire, tires