Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Yellowstone Park Campgrounds for May 2011

Hi All.
I will be heading to Yellowstone park after the Forest River Owners Group Rally in Branson MO and want to know what would be a good campground in the park? My routing says I should enter the park from the west side.
Does this sound right?

Anyway wanting to hear from others on a good route as well as campgrounds in or outside the park. I need tomake reservations now I'm sure.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
CampeRooo

For easy reference - Yellowstone National Park - Campgrounds in Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service) you can take virtual tours from this site.

When we owned our popup, we stayed in Madison campground and it was really nice. A bit tight for some of the bigger rigs, but it was so dark and quiet, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face once we went to bed. Most of the people that were there went to bed after sundown, so we sat with our fire going until after the midnight hour as we listened to the Elk and Wolves all around us.

If you want some really cool views on the way in, go in through the South as you will pass by the Tetons also. I think the West entrance is less mileage, but the South has it's benefits too.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Team

we came in from the west entrance and stayed at Madison. great base for visiting the geyser basin.

because we went after Labor Day, some camgrounds were closed. we wanted to stay at Canyon but the road to it was closed. so we stayed at Grant, which is a great CG by the lake.
i think Canyon's location is great for visiting the top loop.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the information about the entrance area and campgrounds.
I have done a lot of reading and it seems that all the campgrounds are tight. I was looking at one called The Grizzly Campground inside the park which seems to be very nice. It says the campgrounds all open May 1st so if we were to go it will be around the 9 or 10th of the month of May.
Looks like it is still chilly up there in May and may even have snow.

Can anyone enlighten me about the temps andweathe rin mid May?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Expect the unexpected in Yellowstone. Seen 8 inches of snow early June...Be prepared....
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1 View Post
Expect the unexpected in Yellowstone. Seen 8 inches of snow early June...Be prepared....
WOW!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #7

I stayed at Grizzly for several days and it is a great park. I strongly recommend it. It is not in Yellowstone though but is located outside the park in the city of West Yellowstone. Be sure to check out the Grizzly discovery center while you are there!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

The side of the park you enter on is dependent upon which route you take. The scenery is excellent no matter which direction you approach from. You might take a look at either an entrance or exit of the park on the east side and go through Cody, Wy. Several good RV parks in Cody on the way in or out. A good place to stay en-route is Indian Campground in Buffalo, Wy. Close to the intersection of I25 and I90. From my travels in that area during early and late May it is not crowded. Animals are plentiful to see. If you like to fish your options are limited due to spring run off. Yellowstone river, as it exits the park on the north side will look like chocolate milk.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

I will be coming from the east and can enter on the east side, south side or the west side. My issue is that with a 5th wheel 30' and the possibility of snow in mid May I think the east and north entraces would be out. Anyway thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
The side of the park you enter on is dependent upon which route you take. The scenery is excellent no matter which direction you approach from. You might take a look at either an entrance or exit of the park on the east side and go through Cody, Wy. Several good RV parks in Cody on the way in or out. A good place to stay en-route is Indian Campground in Buffalo, Wy. Close to the intersection of I25 and I90. From my travels in that area during early and late May it is not crowded. Animals are plentiful to see. If you like to fish your options are limited due to spring run off. Yellowstone river, as it exits the park on the north side will look like chocolate milk.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Site Team

We went there two years ago the last week in May and the snow was so deep that several of the campgrounds couldn't open. We wound up staying it the Teton national park at Colter Bay and it was nice and plenty big for your rig.

I suggest calling the park service there and see what kind of year they're expecting. That'll be your best bet.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #11

I’m surprised your routing would bring you in from the West side if you are coming from Branson, MO. The South or East would be the best. Depending on the winter we have, May could still see snow in Yellowstone. The great advantage to May is that the bears have usually come out of winter hibernation and are actively looking to fill their bellies. You have a much greater chance of seeing grizzlies in May and June. We been to Yellowstone a few times and have yet to see a bear. Bummer!!

Fishing Bridge was the only RV park within Yellowstone that had full hookups but beginning last year and continuing into this year they are upgrading the electric so Fishing Bridge would be water and sewer only. None of the other RV parks within Yellowstone have any hookups at all.

If it were me I would plan my route coming in from the south and get reservations at Colter Bay Village in Grand Teton National Park for two days. The scenery in the Tetons is totally different than what you will see in Yellowstone. Grand Teton NP has a real alpine look to the mountains. The distance between the north entrance of Grand Teton NP and the south entrance of Yellowstone is just 5 miles. Flagg Ranch RV park is located in that stretch and would be an option if Colter Bay was filled. We stayed at Flagg Ranch last year and really didn’t care for it that much, but it would do in a pinch.

It was mentioned that Grizzly RV park is not within Yellowstone and that’s correct, but it is just a couple of blocks from the west entrance. Grizzly is a really nice and clean RV park with all the amenities except for a swimming pool. Believe me, you wouldn’t want to go swimming in May.

Yellowstone is a huge national park, it’s larger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined, so don’t think you will be able to see everything in a few days. Be sure to drive through Hayden Valley and Lamar Valley for great animal viewing. I’m sure you will take in Old Faithful, while you’re there be sure to walk into the lobby of the Old Faithful Inn, it too is spectacular. Also, don’t miss the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River. I’ve put a couple of photos below this post to wet your whistle for your trip.

Grand Tetons NP, the scenery is spectacular.

An Old Faithful eruption as view from the second floor veranda at the Old Faithful Inn

The Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #12

Thank you Oakman for all that information and pictures. I will look into the south entrance and stay in the Tetons for a few days. Like you said it all depends on mother nature in May. Now that I have your information I feel a little more comfortable in making a plan.

I have never camped in any state or Fed parks.
I guess a small Honda generator may be needed as mmost have limited or now power. I only have my 5th wheel and have been thinking about a small 2000 watt unit for lights and for charging the battery. (No AC is needed). Momma thinks I a generator and who am I to argue with her.

I just checked and the Colter Bay Village in Grand Teton National Park campground won't be open until May 23, 2011

Any more information will be greatly appreciated.

FOREST RIVER OWWNERS GROUP Rally (FROG)

You have time to visit with us in Branson MO for the 1st Forest Rivers Owners Group Rally? May 1-4 at ABC Campground.
See my link below for further details.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #13

How did you get the map on your reply?
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #14

We have stayed at Grants Village and it was nice. It was a little ways from some of the site seeing but most site seeing spots were 20-30 min apart. I agree coming in on the west side is the best. We had a great time at the Grand Tetons too so maybe you can add a few days there. Jackson Hole is a great little town nearby. I wish we could make the FROG rally. Our kids high school has a big after prom event that lasts all night so we will have to catch up for the next rally.
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #15

Iggy, you might want to check on when the campgrounds open in Yellowstone too. Mammoth is the only one that is open the year round and many of the others don't open until late May or early June.

If you plan to stay at a campground without hookups then a generator is a really good idea. I have a Honda 2000i and love it. BTW, the hours that generators can be run in Yellowstone is strictly enforced.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #16

Yellowstone Valley

If you are coming from the east I would suggest route 16 through the Yellowstone valley. We went from Devils Tower on 90 then picked up SR16 and went over Big Horn pass. Someone suggested it for the scenery and they were right. One of the best drives we have done so far. There are several campgrounds around Cody where we stayed and then went on to Grizzly in West Yellowstone. If you are going to Grizzly park be sure to make reservations. We say them passing out lists of area campgrounds to people that just "showed up"!!

Lee

2015 Ceder Creek 36CKTS
LeNe4847 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog