Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

another Generator question

Tim with my the first post here...

I am reading all of the generator questions but still am left with some level of confusion. Seems that a 4K gen set would run my 26rlws with 30A service.

Is my TT generator ready? Do I just plug it in to the 30A svc input?
Do I need an inverter, or is my TT already equipped?

We have been out about six times since buying this trailer last fall. Great fun... but always at parks with some/all hookups. Will try dry camping starting with a trip in March 2015. I have an idea of how to do it with limited conveniences and just with battery power for lights and such.

Looking for some advice/direction. Thanks, Tim
leitchtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

The standard configuration does not include an inverter, therefore when the generator is not operating, you will not have 110VAC ( so no AC ). You will have 12V and can operate fridge and WH on propane. You do not have a transfer switch so switching between shore power and generator will be accomplished by moving the 30A trailer plug to the desired source. You can add an inverter, but remember that an AC appliance drawing 1A @ 110VAC will require approximately 10A DC from the battery.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitchtj View Post
Tim with my the first post here...

I am reading all of the generator questions but still am left with some level of confusion. Seems that a 4K gen set would run my 26rlws with 30A service.

Is my TT generator ready? Do I just plug it in to the 30A svc input?
Do I need an inverter, or is my TT already equipped?

We have been out about six times since buying this trailer last fall. Great fun... but always at parks with some/all hookups. Will try dry camping starting with a trip in March 2015. I have an idea of how to do it with limited conveniences and just with battery power for lights and such.

Looking for some advice/direction. Thanks, Tim

I had an Ah Hah moment today. We are dry camping and I hooked up my Honda EU2000 generator to the shore power connection on my TT. I started the generator and it immediately went to full speed. It ran for awhile then dropped to economy mode and then jumped back to full power again. After about 20 minutes it settled into economy mode and stayed there.

Fast forward two hours. DW is beginning to draw water to wash dinner dishes. I ask if she wants me to turn on the gas hot water heater. She replies, "I've got plenty of hot water."

Turns out that I had not turned the electric water heater off and my poor generator was trying to heat water and recharge the battery at the same time.

Back to the topic at hand, the only issue I have with the Honda is that it does not have the oomph to run the AC. I was considering purchasing a Honda 2000 Companion but I am too close to max weight. I could leave the dog home but DW would not hear of it.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 02-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
I Break Everything

I have a Yamaha 4500si. Worked great with our old 30 amp 5th wheel. Depends on the size the Generator.

Along with all the Generator info you find. Check out the parks. The are lots of parks that have time limits when you can run generators. generally around Dark to Morning are quite hours, meaning: no generators. My 4500si is extremely quite, but it doesn't matter some parks still don't allow it. Just check out park preferences.

good luck

mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Never start the generator with anything plugged in. Start it, let it run a bit, then plug in. Should never start it under load. Regards
larryallenmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #6

Also one other thing to remember is the alt where you are located i.e. a 2 kw Honda at 6 or 7 k ft. is only good for about 1.2 Kw. friend of mine had on burn up on him since it was new he took it back for war work they fixed it but gave him a raft about it. If you can find a small gen with F.I. it would work better. Honda just came out with one that will fit in Truck bed nice. I think its 6 kw and $3,999 and quit as a 2 kw one.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I use a Boliy Gen 3600 Si inverter it will even power the 15,000 BTU but that is all you can run at a time unless your AC is 13,500 then you can run other accessories. The newer model I have has the adapter to add a 6 gal spare fuel tank . Not using air mine ran for 24 hrs and it is about as quiet as a Honda. It also has battery start. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Ron View Post
Back to the topic at hand, the only issue I have with the Honda is that it does not have the oomph to run the AC.
When I had the TT I was able to run the a/c just fine with a single Honda 2000 as long as I disconnected all other loads, including the converter.

I never had a reason to run the a/c for more than 3 hours at once.

Not sure if the fridge needed power to run while using propane. But for 3 hours the fridge will stay cold reasonably well.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

We just got a 2015 wildwood heritage Glenn 29.9 travel trailer. We recently got called out of state to a hospitalized family member. With the permission of the hospital, I parked the rig out in the back lot. We were there for a week. Our Yamaha 3000 invertor gen gave us the power we needed for air conditioning at night, and small appliances during the day. This was the first time we dry camped, and will become more comfortable if we do it again. Water conservation is a bigger problem than electrical conservation when you are in someone's parking lot
Wire Wrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator