Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #1

Any Boondockers use one of these for those remote sites?

I like remote boondocking sites that may not have another camper around for miles. Have been thinking of some kind of perimeter or site security system that would let me know if someone or something (like a bear) enters my site in the middle of the night.

While searching I ran across this:

https://newatlas.com/campguard-lantern-alarm/43878/

Senses motion and turns on light. Also has an alarm that I think can be set to different sound levels to wake you as well as scare whatever triggered it away.

Just curious if anyone has something like this or uses an alternate form of perimeter security when camping way off the grid and alone.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

Not a perimeter sensor but I use a Harborfreight motion sensor directed at the truck. I have everything expensive locked up in there. I think that has potential so I'm waiting for more comments.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #3

Nope. there is nothing out there.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

No. And it has never even crossed my mind that I would need some kind of perimeter security at our very remote boondocking sites. If it did, I would question why/where I was boondocking.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

Stella is always our first line of defense. At home and on the road. Nothing gets past her.

Amazon has a ton of "driveway alarms".
You could set 2-4 around your site.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Driv...s%2C653&sr=8-6

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller for web posting.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	226835  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #6

Perimeter Security

A Motion sensor of any type is a good idea. For 20 bucks you can get a really bright LED motion-sensor light or several. They can be mounted either with sticky tape provided, or screw mounted to a stake. But Every Single Bug or Critter that goes by is going to set it off. Set to shine OUTWARD.
Motion sensitive cams, powered by solar-charge batteries from Ring, are nice, but pricey. And you have to have WiFi (your phone can probably suffice as a hot spot. You will need to continuously charge it).
That at least lets you see any given cam. I have them on my house but not my RV.
Harbor Freight has several camera/monitor systems, wired and wireless. Blue Tooth.
Of course none of this is going to protect the unit while you are gone. Boondocking pretty much means out of cell signal (at least to me).
One thing mentioned before: Just my personal way of thinking, choose for yourself, but one should consider the potential for a serious (bad) event at any location. To do less is to put your family/property and self at risk. I don't care WHERE you park your rig, Nowhere in an isolated area is 100% secure.
In fact, criminals prefer to commit crimes where no one else is around to see.
Could be petty theft, could be taking your life and driving away in your rig.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #7

If it makes you sleep better at night, maybe it's a good purchase, but it also might wind up being more of a 'nuisance' if it comes on periodically, and yet you don't 'see' anything that may have set it off, such as a BEAR!

Lights might be a good idea, but if someone actually did 'enter' your area, without you wanting them to, and they saw this light 'suddenly' come on, would they not just take the light? If it's a bear, or animal, will this actually 'scare' them away? It almost feels like this type of tactic would cause YOU more concern, than anyone else, especially if you forgot that you 'forgot' it back at the site you just left, 100 miles back. : )

just sayin.... and as someone else said, if you're that concerned, 'why' are you camping there? But, some of us worry less than others. Keep up the RVing!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

also, the definition of 'boondocking' might have a meaning to you that is different than others - are you saying you want to go 'where no man has gone before', where you are worried about 'big animals' coming too close? If so, yes, a light and especially an alarm might make you feel better.
If you simply mean that you are going to a campground or forest land that allows dispersed 'no hookups' camping, with the potential for 'others' to be around that you may not know about, having an 'alarm' might not be a good decision, if you want your neighbors not to complain - most campers aren't used to any 'alarms' going off in the middle of the night, for sure. You might find that an alarm would actually ATTRACT others to find out 'what all the noise is about', and then you may find a forest ranger on your doorstep.

We've done a lot of overnighting in parking lots, off-gridding in not 'normal' places, parking on private land, as well as all types of differing campground, from full hookups to no hookups, and rv parks galore, and have never had any issues with 'people', and very few actually with 'animals'. The sound of a sudden 'broken branch' can be unnerving, especially if the forest ranger at checkin has told you that they have a 'momma bear with her cubs' seen within the park, and can certainly make you 'think' for a long while afterwards, getting little sleep, but for the most part, in 100,000 plus miles over 5 years, it's hardly ever been any issue worth spending any 'money' over.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #9

I bought a few solar motion lights. One above the RV door, and a couple in various places around our 5r.
GmaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #10

You can install a Ring Video door bell and it will alert your smart phone and take a video if something walks in front of it.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic35767_3.gif
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

I added a Haloview camera outside my door (in addition to at the rear). Both are wired to be on all the time rather than just one hooked up, but both are switched inside to not waste power.
My monitor can come inside the trailer with me and I can look out if at any point when hear anything concerning outside. I don’t tend to really Boondock but I do camp alone and aim for private areas, so I like the ability to peek out without attracting attention.
Now if only I could get a chance to try it somewhere other than my driveway [emoji22]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8791.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	226851
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Moderator Note: This thread is about a camp light, NOT about guns. Numerous posts have been deleted because they violated Forum rules:

"General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum."

Please stick to the topic the OP posted.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Stella is always our first line of defense. At home and on the road. Nothing gets past her.

Amazon has a ton of "driveway alarms".
You could set 2-4 around your site.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Driv...s%2C653&sr=8-6

Good Luck.

What a pretty Rottie.....lost mine years ago and still haven't recovered....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpsyko View Post
You can install a Ring Video door bell and it will alert your smart phone and take a video if something walks in front of it.
Ring double need to be connected to the internet. You could hotspot from your phone if you have a data signal. You will have no service if it cannot connect back to Ring servers, signal needs to make a round trip. They do not work just back and forth between your phone.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
If you simply mean that you are going to a campground or forest land that allows dispersed 'no hookups' camping, with the potential for 'others' to be around that you may not know about, having an 'alarm' might not be a good decision, if you want your neighbors not to complain - most campers aren't used to any 'alarms' going off in the middle of the night, for sure. You might find that an alarm would actually ATTRACT others to find out 'what all the noise is about', and then you may find a forest ranger on your doorstep.
I agree that a noisemaker in an area with other campers within "ear-shot" might be an issue.

That's why I added this near the end of my post:

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has something like this or uses an alternate form of perimeter security when camping way off the grid and alone.
I frequently camp where the nearest campers are at least a mile or more away. I have one spot I stumbled onto one trip that the nearest camper was almost 3 miles away.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #16

It might be activated by the wind blowing tree/bush branches. This would drive you crazy. Just thinking out loud here.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #17

Tried a battery operated motion sensor driveway alarm at my rural location a couple of years ago. Was hard to see when anyone came in the driveway and thought it would be a convenient way to let me know if somebody was there. I finally tossed it after the millionth false alarm (middle of the night). Picked up everything from birds to grass waving in the wind. I don't think the technology exists yet for motion sensors to discern the difference between grass and trees, and a moving vehicle. I also retrofitted my porch light on my Montana with a motion sensor porch light, and again it seemed to just randomly go on at night. Seemed that when you had the sensitivity turned down to the point it didn't "False Alarm", it didn't work when you wanted it to. Never felt it worked as I'd hoped. Good luck in your search. Let us know what you find.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo8 View Post
It might be activated by the wind blowing tree/bush branches. This would drive you crazy. Just thinking out loud here.
That's what I was thinking when I first read this thread. How sensitive is that motion detector and can it be adjusted? Being woken for every squirrel or chipmunk that wanders thru the site or heavy gust of wind would drive you nuts. You would soon decide to 1. not use it or 2. would ignore it - which would defeat its purpose.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
What a pretty Rottie.....lost mine years ago and still haven't recovered....

Thank you. Stella thinks so too. Haha.

Sorry for your loss.

We lost our first Rottie back in 2001. Took over 14 years before we got Stella.

Bill
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #20

Update:

Apparently my original question regarding the CampGuard lantern is now moot. Manufacturer has discontinued it. No reason given.

Tags
remote