Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Battery Recommendations for GeoPro19fd

Our 19fd is on order. We opted out of the dealer installed battery since our salesman really couldn't even recommend it.
So, while we are waiting for delivery, I'd like a recommendation.
We do not plan on having shore power every night, but would rather have a little flexibility.
Sounds like, for us, maybe a couple 6V AGM golf car batteries might be the way to go for now. I will likely get a quiet generator to carry although I wish I didn't have to.
Later, I may get into upgrading with some more solar.
I'm a structural engineer not electrical, so be gentle.
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:32 PM   #2

With a generator, a plain old deep cycle battery from Costco or Walmart should be just fine. Be prepared to be bombarded with the need for an AGM or lithium battery. Don't buy into it. If you want enough electricity to run the A/C, microwave, Instantpot, coffee maker, etc, you'll need a generator or shore power. And a regular deep cycle battery is all you'll need. I'm surprised you your trailer isn't coming all outfitted and ready to hit the road. Both of my trailers were out the door with battery and propane. My 192RBS even included a weight distribution hitch. The two dealers I dealt with each quoted me one low out-the-door price with no hidden fees, and they both delivered. Hopefully you're not buying from Camping World!
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:33 AM   #3

Battery Recommendations for GeoPro19fd

Shame that you didn’t ask this a week ago- Home Depot had an excellent sale on champion 2000 generator for $399. Will run everything except ac.

If we find ourselves needing ac more than a few hours, we book a campground with hook ups.

As for the battery, even though you are trying to get away from everything you need to think out how much power you need. For example my wife like to stay warm when off grid so I run the furnace a fair amount. Ended up using 2 6volt units and just right for us. Burns battery juice and propane but she’s happy and I just turn on generator in morning to start coffee and leave on for 2 ish hours(but also have upgraded my charger). Happy wife- I stay breathing!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm surprised you your trailer isn't coming all outfitted and ready to hit the road. Both of my trailers were out the door with battery and propane.
Re-Read, He said he OPTED OUT of the battery.

If you're not the greatest at keeping up with Maint. on your batteries, AGM is worth the money rather than ruining a wet cell by not checking the water levels often enough.

Basically the question comes down to which type you want (AGM) and how often do you want to HAVE to run the genny. The more AH's you have, the less often you will have to run the genny as it will take longer to get down to the 50% of charge.

I'm running two Trojan T-1275's which are wet cell 12v Golf cart batteries with 150 AH's each. If I'm just running the lights and radio, maybe the vent fans and charging the cell phones and a few other items, I can go a 3-4 days before I have to run the genny. Add the furnace at night and it's more like 2-3 days. When I was using two lesser batteries (Group 27's), it was 1.5-2 days or daily with the furnace on for 8 hours.

So decide how often you want to run the genny and how long you want to be able to go without running it, your needs, your space for your battery bank.

You can certainly go with one good 12v volt, 2 good 6v GC Batteries or 2 or more 12v Golf Cart Batteries. All will work well, just different timeframes before recharging is needed.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #5

Not familiar with that unit.

Rv’s with electric brakes need a battery for them to operate. Sort of thought it was illegal to sell a unit without operable brakes. Be careful.

Plan ahead. You need the battery box measurements. Fill the box the best you can or, get a bigger box!

Costco six volts are about $200 a pair last time I checked. That gives you 200+ amps.

The advantage of six volts are bigger cells and thicker plates which generally give the longest life. However, you have to watch levels. I carry a mustard dispensing bottle to fill with distilled water twice a year. I have four. Trojan batteries might be better. A Battleborn 100 lithium would be sweet. However it needs the fancy meter and maybe a different converter. Pricey. Not an AGM fan.

Very important is some type of battery monitor.

I have the Amazon BM2. Wireless, Bluetooth, voltmeter. It records voltage on a graph and has an alarm thru your phone. $35 and takes 5 minutes to install.

So you are not flying blind.

The $200 meters give amperage used/remaining as well. I thought not worth the money. I can get that info pretty much knowing the power formula and The graph. Please note, all cars have voltmeters, not ampmeters.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Re-Read, He said he OPTED OUT of the battery.

If you're not the greatest at keeping up with Maint. on your batteries, AGM is worth the money rather than ruining a wet cell by not checking the water levels often enough.

Basically the question comes down to which type you want (AGM) and how often do you want to HAVE to run the genny. The more AH's you have, the less often you will have to run the genny as it will take longer to get down to the 50% of charge.

I'm running two Trojan T-1275's which are wet cell 12v Golf cart batteries with 150 AH's each. If I'm just running the lights and radio, maybe the vent fans and charging the cell phones and a few other items, I can go a 3-4 days before I have to run the genny. Add the furnace at night and it's more like 2-3 days. When I was using two lesser batteries (Group 27's), it was 1.5-2 days or daily with the furnace on for 8 hours.

So decide how often you want to run the genny and how long you want to be able to go without running it, your needs, your space for your battery bank.

You can certainly go with one good 12v volt, 2 good 6v GC Batteries or 2 or more 12v Golf Cart Batteries. All will work well, just different timeframes before recharging is needed.
I realize he opted out of the battery. I got the impression that it was something he would have had to pay extra for instead of it being part of a no hidden fees deal. It would be interesting to know the brand. Is there a battery that's so bad that no one wants it or is this just an ignorant salesman who knows nothing about batteries or maybe the salesman is just being agreeable, as they are wont to do. And if the battery at this dealer is so bad, why do they keep selling them? I took the batteries that were installed on my trailers as they were included in the really low price already. If they work, great, if they don't, I still needed a battery for emergency braking for the tow home. That way, I would also have a core for when I bought my new battery. I still think a regular Costco or Walmart battery would be fine for overnight use, considering there is a generator to recharge every day.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Don, I have the same trailer, and opted out of the battery (dealer gave me cash back for not taking the battery which is provided with sale). I went with a pair of Deka golf cart batteries. The battery box I chose to fit on the battery shelf of our units required that I make some modifications to the shelf, as it is not a standard sized box and would not fit between the existing battery shelf rails. Was no big deal, had to move propane shelf forward a little bit and dremel tool off some material on the battery box lid to make it fit. You may be able to find another box that fits better than mine did.

I towed home from dealer without the propane tank cover on to make the battery box fit at dealer, then did rest of adjustments at home.

Got a Renogy folding 100w panel to supplement the stock one that comes on the GeoPro roof.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everybody.
Yeah, the battery is "included" but they gave me $99 when I opted out. I think I will do better to apply that to a better battery(s).
I dont want have to run a generator every day. To go a few days would be good. My family travelled ALOT in a 19 ft Airstream from when I was 5 until I left for college so I know a little about boondocking since that's what we mostly did. My wife and I have backpacked as well as car camped so hopefully we will be reasonably energy-conscious.
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Not an AGM fan.
How many AGMs have you owned?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #10

every time I read these and think I need to upgrade then I remember I do not boondock and when I have a stop over at rest area or Loves I just turn the key on the predator 3500 .... am I getting it right ?? thanks Frank
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
every time I read these and think I need to upgrade then I remember I do not boondock and when I have a stop over at rest area or Loves I just turn the key on the predator 3500 .... am I getting it right ?? thanks Frank
If you never dry camp or boondock, all you need is one small battery to run things while you are driving. If you never dry camp or boodock, why even have a generator?
Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If you never dry camp or boondock, all you need is one small battery to run things while you are driving. If you never dry camp or boodock, why even have a generator?
That's easy ... when we make longer trips and just need a overnight to get on the way in the am we dry camp in a rest area or a Love's truck stop and here in Fl life sucks without the A/C so we have the Predator 3500
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
That's easy ... when we make longer trips and just need a overnight to get on the way in the am we dry camp in a rest area or a Love's truck stop and here in Fl life sucks without the A/C so we have the Predator 3500
Yes..that could be an issue. Glad I don't travel in places like Fl.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes..that could be an issue. Glad I don't travel in places like Fl.
Yes Fl ... it is quite the burden nobody comes here
Old 02-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes Fl ... it is quite the burden nobody comes here
Can't you just drive fast and leave as quick as possible? My brother is there right now. I have ZERO interest.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Can't you just drive fast and leave as quick as possible? My brother is there right now. I have ZERO interest.
Nope we love it here and with much affection I call it the other "West Coast"
Old 02-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #17

If you boondock, I believe you should have solar. I have a 100 watt panel on the roof, and a 100 watt panel I can place on the ground facing the sun. With solar, you need a charge controller. My entire system was under $400. The roof panel charges the batteries when I'm not using the trailer, and the ground panel charges it when the sun is minimal. I live in the southwest, so you might need bigger panels. The furnace wakes me up, so I use sleeping bags to stay warm, and run the heater while awake. With two golf cart batteries, I can boondock forever without running a generator.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #18

We are also going to be purchasing the geo pro 19fd in the next few weeks and plan on going with the two 6v batteries. I am going to try to avoid a generator. Question, when you plug a separate stand alone solar panel into the plug on the trailer, does it use the Solar controller in the trailer, or does it require a second controller ?

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Kean,

It goes directly to batteries. You will need a 2nd controller. I have the cheaper Renogy PWM Voyager controller with their panel suitcase. (compared to the apparently more efficient MPPT controller).
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #20

NJKris, I see a 100w Renolgy suitcase panel on Amazon ($260)where it has the controller in the back of the panel, that seems like a good setup... then the wire must so from the controller to the plug in the side of the trailer vs the alligator clips in the picture. Any issues with yours, reviews look good overall....

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery