Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by a59cheffy View Post
Just bought this puppy for that very reason! Don't want to hear my noisy ass genny! And I own a fairly quiet one...Lifan 3600, the only reason I bought it was to charge the batteries when boondocking and charge the electric toothbrushes. Hopefully this solar charger will do the trick.

Renogy 100watt Solar Battery Charger
I have the Sister generator in a Powerhouse name. 500 more watts and Fuel Injected as well. It is quiet but when you run AC ANY inverter generator under full load is noiser than just coasting with convertor on or watching TV.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #22

RV Solar Panels | Off Grid RV Solar Panel Kits | Renogy Store

For $850 you can forget about your batts going down again. I have the 6 x 100 watt with 40 amp MPPT controller and 5,000 watt inverter, and regardless what I run, sans the A/Cs, the batts stay at or above 12.6 even during overcast days. NO NOISE or GAS! That's less than you will pay for a GOOD gen...or pair of gens and there are no hour restrictions on making electricity. Granted you don't need near the size inverter I have, but to run the TVs, coffee pot, furnace, lights, etc. a small inverter [1,500 watt] will do. It isn't for the die hard gen users, but sure is an alternative that should be considered. FYI, coffee pots draw a lot more juice than you think!
Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would not have the biggest battery they could get their hands on for their TT if they worry about running out of juice. More amp hrs is a good thing whether you use them or not. The only thing better than a large amp hr batt is multiple large amp hour batts.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #23
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
RV Solar Panels | Off Grid RV Solar Panel Kits | Renogy Store

For $850 you can forget about your batts going down again. I have the 6 x 100 watt with 40 amp MPPT controller and 5,000 watt inverter, and regardless what I run, sans the A/Cs, the batts stay at or above 12.6 even during overcast days. NO NOISE or GAS! That's less than you will pay for a GOOD gen...or pair of gens and there are no hour restrictions on making electricity. Granted you don't need near the size inverter I have, but to run the TVs, coffee pot, furnace, lights, etc. a small inverter [1,500 watt] will do. It isn't for the die hard gen users, but sure is an alternative that should be considered. FYI, coffee pots draw a lot more juice than you think!

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would not have the biggest battery they could get their hands on for their TT if they worry about running out of juice. More amp hrs is a good thing whether you use them or not. The only thing better than a large amp hr batt is multiple large amp hour batts.

In a word, weight. I would love to put a couple hundred pounds of 6 volt batteries on my TT but am near maximum weight for my trailer. I have a Honda 2000i which will get my Interstate Grp 24 deep cycle batteries to about 90% and plan to get a 100 watt solar panel to top them off during the balance of the day.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Ron View Post
In a word, weight. I would love to put a couple hundred pounds of 6 volt batteries on my TT but am near maximum weight for my trailer. I have a Honda 2000i which will get my Interstate Grp 24 deep cycle batteries to about 90% and plan to get a 100 watt solar panel to top them off during the balance of the day.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Where do you carry your Honda 2000i and gasoline and what do they weigh? A 125 amp hr deep cycle bat weighs 62 lbs. About 15 lbs more than an 85 amp hr bat.
You will be surprised how much juice you can get out of a good 100 watt panel and a MPPT controller. Look into Renogy. Have fun!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
SO NOT TRUE!
i own a Honda 2000 and though very quiet, it isn't silent.
campground rules are rules. just cause someone doesn't complain, doesn't mean you aren't breaking the rules.
those rules apply to even quieter inverter generators.

i know because i ran my Honda past the 8:00pm cutoff time, just to run the microwave for a few minutes and a ranger stopped by and told me i had to turn it off.
there are no special "exemptions" for inverter generators. there are noise level rules though, for the much louder open-frame non-inverter contractor generators.

now if you are truly "boondocking", then you won't have any rangers or neighbors to worry about.
but if you are "dry camping", which means in a developed campground without hookups, then there are almost always quiet hours. usually from 8pm to 8am.
x2 Dan. Same issue in CT State Parks. Makes it difficult to run that blender after 8:00 pm.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM   #26

After 2 decades of boondocking at a beach state park it looks like we have to throw in the towel. Not because of equipment...but, the dog. The state parks don't allow animals and we lost our dog sitter. So, we always love to take her along (of course she's not 2 decades old..one in a log line) so we'll need to pick a private cg near the beach. loved being able to just walk (night or day) and lie on the beach.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
<snip> ... boondocking at a beach state park ... loved being able to just walk (night or day) and lie on the beach.
Where, might I ask? What state parks allow you to boondock on the beach?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #28

Rocky Neck (pretty close) and Hammonasset (has 550 sites with some water and electric). On Reserve America.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Rocky Neck (pretty close) and Hammonasset (has 550 sites with some water and electric). On Reserve America.
I grew up camping at Rocky Neck! Had my first kiss there and my first broken heart!! circa 1965...I'll post some pics if I can find em'.

And I agree with getting batteries with more amp hours. I have a stage 27, 80ah Interstate and it lasts about a day and a half before I have to charge it with the solar panel. Last 4 day trip out I didn't have to fire up the genny. The panel kept it topped off!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Probably closer to 10 - 12 amps
My Suburban 20,000 btu furnace in my Grey Wolf draws 4.5 amps verified with my ammeter. Not sure how big a furnace would have to be to draw 10-12 amps.

1999 Lincoln Navigator 4X4 5.4L 32v Intech
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #31

The Suburban 30,000 BTU/hr furnace in a Class C uses 7 amps.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator