Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #41
Benchdog

Taking a course for carrying a concealed weapon, the first line of defense taught is escape here in NY.

Sadly, we are having this discussion, but the reality is that evil has always been present regardless of when and where we are.

I chose to live my life without fear, enjoy what I love and love what I enjoy.

I always have an escape route while being prepared for the unexpected.

Life will be grand! Enjoy

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply
Old 11-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
That is because 95.4% of the land in OK is private. Those of us in the west have a whole lot more public lands. All the western states have almost 50% public land or more. So, in our case, we can drive down a back road on National Forest land or BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land, pull of and setup.

With this, proper behavior is that you keep your vehicle on an established road which can be as small as a two track road, and you really shouldn't camp in a spot that hasn't been camped in before unless you can do it with out leaving a trace. But, yeah, generally it is as easy as finding a back road, finding a good spot and camping. The caveat is to make sure you are on public land. Look at your maps. There are places where private land can be inside public lands. It is usually labeled with no trespassing signs but not always. It is your responsibility to make sure you are on public lands.
That can go both ways. We were in Wyoming and planned to hunt on public land. We came upon what I would refer to as a range manager. We wanted to make certain we were on public land. He was very informative and gave us one warning. One of the ranchers had posted public land as private and the range manager indicated the rancher will get pretty hostile. But, the range manager told us to hold our ground and that we would not be trespassing.

Lo and behold, the rancher showed up and gave us a ration-and, we held our ground. He threatened to call the sheriff to get us arrested. We assured him that this land was in fact public range and we had the maps to prove it. If he want to call the sheriff, we will be right here. Well, the sheriff never showed up and we never saw the rancher for the rest of our stay.

National grasslands are public lands. Anyone can graze livestock on those lands, but those individuals that have livestock on that land have no more right than anyone else.
PenJoe is offline   Reply
Old 11-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #43

It is as safe as going shopping the movies or out to dinner .... stand ready.
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #44

I boondock, with respect. There are dangers in this world, but it's a mistake to get hung up about it. I don't carry weapons other than the gray stuff between my ears, which is the most effective.

The recurrent theme in this topic with regards situational awareness is important; it is so no matter where one is or what one is undertaking. There's no need to be hyper-aware, just be in the world and flow with it.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply
Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #45

I am also retired law enforcement. When traveling in the US, I frequently carry. However, my daughters like to camp so we had a detailed discussion on time before one of them headed to the Rockies for a month with another female friend. I told them that when they arrive at a camping spot, they should do a drive through before setting up. If it feels like something is wrong, leave. After they set up, they were told that if something starts to bother them, pack up and leave if there is time, otherwise-JUST LEAVE. I reinforced the fact that camping equipment is just stuff that can be replaced.
It does not have to be people that cause you to leave an area. Keep an eye on the weather and get ready to pack up if it looks bad. Flash floods can be caused by a storm that is miles away. Danger comes in many forms.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I am also retired law enforcement. When traveling in the US, I frequently carry. However, my daughters like to camp so we had a detailed discussion on time before one of them headed to the Rockies for a month with another female friend. I told them that when they arrive at a camping spot, they should do a drive through before setting up. If it feels like something is wrong, leave. After they set up, they were told that if something starts to bother them, pack up and leave if there is time, otherwise-JUST LEAVE. I reinforced the fact that camping equipment is just stuff that can be replaced.
It does not have to be people that cause you to leave an area. Keep an eye on the weather and get ready to pack up if it looks bad. Flash floods can be caused by a storm that is miles away. Danger comes in many forms.
Good points. Weather can be as dangerous as any criminal. We saw that in SE Minnesota, where the river washed out campgrounds and everything else overnight.

Going back to Wyoming, this is one thing that has always stuck with me. We noticed that washouts had creek names and river names. When we were talking with the range manager, we asked him what the difference was. His response, creeks have water in them when it rains, rivers have water in them most of the time. When you are in coulee country, a dry creek bed can become a raging flood way in a very short time.
PenJoe is offline   Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
There is no doubt being a vet and spending time in places where folks want to do you harm has affected my outlook. To this day if its at all possible I sit facing a door. I pay attention to my surroundings. I set up camp in a way to discourage easy access to my stuff...I don't waste time worrying about these things its just part of being prepared...not really any different than getting stuff together to go camping or having the proper tools.

There are people capable of doing things I can't even get my mind around. I decided many years ago...before my trip to the Gulf countries that I wasn't going to be a prisoner of war...that I wouldn't kneel. I'm older today but there are not many levels of victim I'm willing to accept. Choose your level of preparedness and make it happen.

I could have written the same thing about myself! As an ex Military Policeman (Vietnam) I always kept a 45 round for myself if needed. Situational awareness and knowing where to go and where not to go is the most important thing. Be prepared!
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
When you are in coulee country, a dry creek bed can become a raging flood way in a very short time.
Can also happen in "desert country". If that nice campsite has a lot of sand and looks like a dried up riverbed, probably not the best place to set up. Local rains won't be as big a problem as rain in the nearby hills and mountains.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #49

Boondocking

Boondocking in areas such as Salton Sea and that region has at least the benefit of other campers nearby who might be counted on to keep an eye out for your stuff while you are gone. However, that didn't work out for the couple who were murdered and their rig stolen from Padre Island a few short weeks ago.
These are two extremes. The southwestern region of Arizona (Organpipe) has government signs posted regarding hazards of camping or even traveling in that region, previous post above, not withstanding. Read the State Department's official statement regarding that area.
My bride and I both carry. Always. Licensed.
The only concerns I might have is parking in isolated areas, and leaving the rig unattended, either to run to town or for a day trip into the wilderness. We have had gas cans stolen, and our ice chests rifled (they missed the beer because they looked through the wrong chests.
So, now we boondock, (in Elk Camp, a totally isolated off-grid, undeveloped camp site in Oregon) with two other guys, and always leave at least one person in camp when we go out for the hunt. We have radios that can reach each of us, and the person in camp is armed, of course. The fuel cans are chained, each rig has a "TattleTale" alarm system, and other preparations I wont go into.
Not saying anyone else has to do it this way, it is just how WE do it. Far less worry about our property being disturbed, while we are away, and the person in camp has certain chores to accomplish while the rest are gone (prep for the big daily meal, is one). Each of us takes a turn. BTW, we are also known as one of the friendliest camps in that forest.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #50

Boondocking is terrible and horribly unsafe!!! Don't do it!!! Then I can have more space to do it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #51

Not safe in Florida .... heat stroke a real possibility
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #52
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Not safe in Florida .... heat stroke a real possibility
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #53

Once Again -- new thoughts

Until my 77th year, I spent absolutely as much time as possible in remote and uninhabited areas -- Which I always enjoyed immensely. I have had a very few unfortunate contacts with humans and they were never pleasant but which I always got out of unscathed.

However, my most frequent unpleasant situations involved animals or reptiles. I have been fortunate to have visited all 50 states and camped in a great many of them.

In Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Oregon and Arizona, it was frequently reptiles -- all rattlesnakes. Generally speaking, a .22 pistol resolved those I deemed dangerous and those which did not immediately threaten bodily harm were just allowed to go their own way.

If you ever camp in Hell's Canyon, watch out for rattlesnakes -- thick as thieves. I once took a fatherless boy fishing for small mouth bass near Big Sheep Rapids in Hell's Canyon on the Snake River. He did not know what to wear and his only footgear was hip boots -- totally unsuited for June in the bottom of Hell's Canyon. One morning while emerging from the tent to answer nature's call, a rattlesnake hit. He had the cuff of his hip book pulled down around his ankles and the rather small snake hit the inside cuff on his left leg. He was deathly afraid of snakes. However, the snake's fangs were caught in the rubber of the boot cuff and he just could not back out. Meanwhile, the young man screamed and jumped around trying to get away from the snake. In the end, the snake was stomped into a puddle of skin and broken bones while the boy was unharmed.

The snake's fangs were caught in the rubber of the boot cuff but only scratched the outside of the boot by his ankle, never penetrating. He was unhurt but the snake suffered a catastrophic life failure, being stomped to death.

Watch out for the green colored rattlesnakes in southern Arizona -- the Mohave. Small but nasty and more aggressive than the western diamond back in my personal experience. Of course, perhaps the Mohave was just having a bad day and the western diamond backs were happy as clams. Who knows?

In Wyoming, Alaska and Montana, it was bears which probably made me more worried than I needed to be. Their sheer size is worrisome.

In Oregon, Florida and Washington, it was cougars -- 3 times when I really felt threatened. Why would a cat follow you for some distance down an old Forest Service road if it only wanted to wish you well? However, a rifle round placed between their front paws, spraying them with high velocity dirt and gravel tended to ruin their whole day.

The other thing about cougars is that they are generally so stealthy that they may well be there and you have no clue. We were on a deer drive once when two of us posted on the likely escape routes could watch the others work their way uphill, hopefully driving game ahead of them. For some time we watched, through binoculars, an older cat probably teaching its cub how to stalk and hunt by following one of our party most of the way uphill. When he stopped to breathe, the two cats would crouch and wait for him to move again. All that moved was the tip of the bigger cat's tail, which swished back and forth in a manner I would describe as nervously.

He had no idea that the two cats were there and doubted us when we told him. He wanted to know why we didn't shoot the cats following him. The short answer was that we would have been shooting right in his direction or just over his head. Neither cat attacked but they followed him for several hundred yards, completely undetected. He was a good hunter and usually pretty much in tune with his surroundings.

In other words, in really remote areas, I have had far more animal encounters, than human encounters. And, the number one rule about animals, is that they do not want to be hurt if they can avoid it. They have no hospitals, EMT's and ambulances and seem to instinctively know that or something like it. So, given a chance, they are more likely to not bother someone bigger than they are unless really threatened. Back away, and most often they will also.

Of course, that doesn't apply, necessarily, to brown bears or old cougars in the case of small women at "that time of the month". You can use Google to discover instances of attacks in those cases.
MacII is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #54

I do but i can understand you not wanting to.
For your safety please consider it or at the very least a spray of some sort.
If you think about carrying there are classes for safe handling you can take without feeling intimidated
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #55

[QUOTE=Oldbears;2220351]We haven't drug our campers into remote places, but I have backpacked and kayak camped for years. I've never carried a firearm.

Overall, I think its a matter of using common sense. Avoid areas that seem a bit shaky, let friends or family members know where you're going to be and when you will be back, if you happen upon sketchy people and it makes you uncomfortable, leave, as long as its safely possible - but do so without looking like a victim. Bring your bear spray, even if you are someplace with no bears - its an excellent weapon that attackers don't really expect.

When I think of "safety", I'm actually more focused on making sure I have first aid and emergency supplies, ample safe drinking water and food, signaling devices, shelter and warmth. While it is good to be aware of other people, its not good to obsess about it to the point where you're not going to enjoy yourself. And honestly, in this day and age, even camping in developed areas has its risks![/QUOTE]

My wife and I were staying in a KOA campground and had a hooker knock on the door at 10:30 asking for Pat....yay neither of one us are named Pat.

I leave the outside lights on and sleep with blinds up so I can see outside. Because of outside led light strip glares on off the window at night, it makes rather hard to see in.
tyler811 is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese456 View Post
Do people who boondock have safety concerns? Are there places where professional boondockers would not camp? We are not a gun family (please - no 2nd amendment comments), but would appreciate remarks about safety concerns (or lack thereof) from those who have boondocked for years. Do all boondockers carry firearms? Are there any who don't? Thanks.
Boondocking isn’t normally in remote areas where bears live. We always carry bear spray to deal with the dangers
ENGINEER is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese456 View Post
Do people who boondock have safety concerns? Are there places where professional boondockers would not camp? We are not a gun family (please - no 2nd amendment comments), but would appreciate remarks about safety concerns (or lack thereof) from those who have boondocked for years. Do all boondockers carry firearms? Are there any who don't? Thanks.
Sorry, didn’t get to finish.

Boondocking is no more dangerous or safe than camping in a campground. I feel safer being alone than I do in most campgrounds.

Always lock everything up. Take your breath spray (or take a gun class and take a firearm along with your bear spray) with you. Go with your gut. If it doesn’t feel right move on. If other boondockers look shady, move on.

I have never had a problem (I live in my 5er for 7 months a year, travel all around the west) boon docking. I once had a lawn chair stolen from a private campground in a rural area at night.

Take precautions, and be observant and you should be fine.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #58

Look I try not to worry about situations like this.
And OA is always a thing in the front of my mind.
That being said my sidearm is always close by.
Always as a last resort. If you feel uncomfortable
Then time for a new spot.
Jomo is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #59

You come in my house uninvited I promise I won't be spraying any bug spray or cleaning fluids on ya.
Jomo is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #60

All good advice. Just a few main thoughts I always keep in mind no matter were we go or camp

* Always trust your instinct- no matter what common sense says
* Make a habit of being aware of what is going on around you- especially if
something seems out of place or too normal
* Pay attention to how both your animals and how the local wild life is acting
* Be prepared and think before you act.
dvalley is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
boondocking